Parted with my Megane after 12 years
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Parted with my Megane after 12 years

Tadpole

Default Parted with my Megane after 12 years

All good things must come to an end. After owning my 2007 Megane diesel manual since new, I have traded it in.

I will miss it since it has been a great reliable car over the years. However, a few things started going wrong with it lately. I had to replace a window regulator ($500), and it's only a matter of time before the other ones need replacing. The "check injection" message and light came on. I had it diagnosed and the glow plugs need replacing together with a clean out of the system. The quote was $500, but I didn't go ahead as the car was cold starting fine and running fine. Then the dreaded "check airbag" message and light came on. I'm sure it's the clock spring in the steering wheel and would be another few hundred dollars to fix. The shocks are on the way out and would cost around $1500 to replace.

I couldn't justify spending all that money on a car that has a market value of next to nothing. I was also afraid that it could become a bottomless pit of further spending.

I picked up a new i30 Fastback N with lux pack and pano sunroof a few days ago. It's heaps of fun to drive and very comfortable, but uses about twice the amount of fuel my Megane did.

I have always owned cars that you don't see a lot of on the road, and I have yet to see another Fastback N, even though they have been available here for about 6 months.

Even though I have swapped a Renault for a Hyundai, I can still sort of say that it is a European car, since the N models are built in the Czech Republic

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    All good things must come to an end. After owning my 2007 Megane diesel manual since new, I have traded it in.

I will miss it since it has been a great reliable car over the years. However, a few things started going wrong with it lately. I had to replace a window regulator ($500), and it's only a matter of time before the other ones need replacing. The "check injection" message and light came on. I had it diagnosed and the glow plugs need replacing together with a clean out of the system. The quote was $500, but I didn't go ahead as the car was cold starting fine and running fine. Then the dreaded "check airbag" message and light came on. I'm sure it's the clock spring in the steering wheel and would be another few hundred dollars to fix. The shocks are on the way out and would cost around $1500 to replace.

I couldn't justify spending all that money on a car that has a market value of next to nothing. I was also afraid that it could become a bottomless pit of further spending.

I picked up a new i30 Fastback N with lux pack and pano sunroof a few days ago. It's heaps of fun to drive and very comfortable, but uses about twice the amount of fuel my Megane did.

I have always owned cars that you don't see a lot of on the road, and I have yet to see another Fastback N, even though they have been available here for about 6 months.

Even though I have swapped a Renault for a Hyundai, I can still sort of say that it is a European car, since the N models are built in the Czech Republic
    I'd never heard of a i30 fastback so looked it up.. Thats a good looking car.
    Good luck with it.
    Jo

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Was your car a stock Megane or a Megane Sport 175 ?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Was your car a stock Megane or a Megane Sport 175 ?
    Twice the fuel.... My money is on a stock version

1000+ Posts

Good choice in replacement, actually. I really like the standard i30N.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Yes my Megane was the stock version. I think the Sport 175 was available here the following year (2008). Two years after buying my Megane, I was tempted to upgrade to the Sport 175, but they offered me a ridiculous trade in value. Something like $17,000 for a car that cost me about $31,000 on the road. Would have loved to have had the Sport 175

1000+ Posts

I think Chris Cavanagh (Cav91 on here) had a nice one.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Perhaps look at what you traded yours in for to the current market value of a 175.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Or, I could just tell you.
    Bought a 175 a couple months back and had to get a cover note to drive it home.
    AAMI quoted market value at $12,000 and the lowest they would go was $9,200.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Or, I could just tell you.
    Bought a 175 a couple months back and had to get a cover note to drive it home.
    AAMI quoted market value at $12,000 and the lowest they would go was $9,200.
    For this year, my Megane was insured for $6,500 with GIO. I probably could have got it higher, since the body was immaculate, without any dents or scratches and had never been in an accident. The interior was also in excellent condition. The engine was bulletproof. I could go on, but it's all history now.

Enjoy your 175

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I think Chris Cavanagh (Cav91 on here) had a nice one.
    I had 2 175s. Bloody brilliant cars. And will do low 6 liters per 100kms, with the power of a 225!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I had 2 175s. Bloody brilliant cars. And will do low 6 liters per 100kms, with the power of a 225!
    umm.... 175 is not 225.

And google tells me the 225 is about 2 seconds quicker to 100km/h.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    umm.... 175 is not 225.

And google tells me the 225 is about 2 seconds quicker to 100km/h.

Jo
    175 is much better as a daily I think. I have owned both now, around town having to rev the 225 to get any power. Whilst the 175 has already chugged off. Yes 225 is quicker but not much in the real world. 175 also has that massive torque that pulls away very nicely. So yes 175 is less than 225. But makes up for itself. Also extremely good for overtaking.

Dad has a 175 now and hill climbs it. Hes actually quicker than most of the petrols. Including a 265.

I loved how my 175 had a the power of my 406 v6, with Renault sport handling and diesel fuel economy. A fantastic alrounder.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thread Information