Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Renault Rod
  • 1 Post By philipjh
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 4 Post By Dijon16

Thread: R12 50 Anniversary in France.

Default R12 50 Anniversary in France.

The French have just celebrated the 50 Anniversary of the R12.
    News articles and uploads are starting to hit the Net.

https://youtu.be/lDiLTAW_JGM

Advertisement

https://youtu.be/CPk_1Pe-vA4

And Bowie if you can handle the seasickness of the camera work. There are a couple of variations of Yellow. The one in the front row looks very close to the Sungold we had here in Aus.

Rod
    JohnW, Shoji, bowie and 2 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I loved my R12GL in Sungold. My first ever brand new car bought in October 1972 from East Ivanhoe Motors in Melbourne. Great car - went all the way to Perth and back when the most of the Eyre highway was unsealed on our honeymoon and during a hot January and it didn't miss a beat.

1000+ Posts

Remember all the orange ones when Heidelberg started to turn them out. To get them on the road discounts were the order of the day and deals were written as low as $1850. East Ivanhoe Motors could deal and were the cheapest around although Moorabbin would match them. Howard Mackey who had run HM&J in Simms Road Greensborough had been induced to abandon his small dealership to run the workshop. They used to make money from the first service by not lifting the tappet cover and retightening the head although Renault paid them to do it. The head was subsequently retightened at a paid service. Howard always thought Dessus meant up in French and so fitted Peugeot head gaskets upside down.
    They were made for mass production and went together easily. Industry talk was at the time they cost around $950 to make in France and sold about $1100. The Citroen GS cost $1100 to make and sold for something over $1150. At the time Renault was making a modest profit in France but it was only a few dollars per car. Thinking on it, those prices would have been ex factory wholesale.
    Last edited by Russell Hall; 11th September 2019 at 02:08 PM.

Clearly they were a nice reliable car....one of my best friends had one from new...but they never did it for me. I found (and still find) the styling to be quirkily bland to ugly (sorry Bowie). I was much more drawn to the 15TS, one of which I bought (near new) from Eurocars here in Perth in the early/mid 70's (approx)....it was a nice car and I liked it a lot.
    1969 Alpine A110

It's funny, in my head I just refer to them as 30yrs old, but heck, they really are 50 aren't they..

What the heck am I doing with a 50yr old car

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Both my children, now in there 30's came home from hospital, safely encapsulated on the back seat of our then R12 wagon.

Where have those years gone??
    bowie likes this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    Clearly they were a nice reliable car....one of my best friends had one from new...but they never did it for me. I found (and still find) the styling to be quirkily bland to ugly (sorry Bowie). I was much more drawn to the 15TS, one of which I bought (near new) from Eurocars here in Perth in the early/mid 70's (approx)....it was a nice car and I liked it a lot.
    I prefer the shape of the wagon to the sedan. They also look better with a set of after market mags.

I still love driving my 1976 Renault R12 wagon.
    Shoji likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I've had 5 R12's and still have one now.
    Sadly, only one was a wagon and that ended up being a parts car due to terminal rust in the roof channel.
    Pity, it was a Virage and the newest of the lot and I always liked the look of the wagon, more than the sedan.
    My current 12 is a FEB73 compliance but the oldest one I had was circa 1972 model in flame orange.
    A real gem that one, had a stripped spark plug thread so one would be driving along and the spark plug would shoot out of the head and would run on 3 cylinders until you could pull off the road. Fortunately the spark plug lead would stop the spark plug from disappearing and after refitting the plug (temporarily) off one went again until the next time.
    Sunroof and Shoji like this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by Renault Rod View Post
    Wot may have escaped readers is that in the clip above, the name of the town where it was held is La Douze, of course French for Twelve. It is in the south-west of the country.

Only the French could name a place 12, the same as they have places called Y, Arsy, and Condom.
    Shoji, J-man, COL and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    Wot may have escaped readers is that in the clip above, the name of the town where it was held is La Douze, of course French for Twelve. It is in the south-west of the country.

Only the French could name a place 12, the same as they have places called Y, Arsy, and Condom.
    It's obvious, they like the 12 so much they named a town after the car.
    Look out for some towns named Megane, Clio, etc. in the future.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information