• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stew H
  • 1 Post By G4ME
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: Dauphine 6V regulator

Default Dauphine 6V regulator

Hi Guys,
    I need some knowledge on 6V Regulators for a Dauphine G.
    Can you still get new ones locally?
    Are they specific to the model of car or will any generic 6V Regulator work?
    And of course if you have one I'm in the market :-)

Thanks...Paul

Advertisement
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Default 6V Regulators for a Dauphine

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I need some knowledge on 6V Regulators for a Dauphine G.
    Can you still get new ones locally?
    Are they specific to the model of car or will any generic 6V Regulator work?
    And of course if you have one I'm in the market :-)

Thanks...Paul
    Hi,
    I may have one, but: (a) It is in unknown condition
    (b) It's stored at a place which I won't be visiting for at least a week
    I'll check and let you know, but it won't be straight away!

1000+ Posts

In theory a generator of a Dauphine with a certain brand and part number has a matched regulator. However years ago before I knew this sort of stuff I just used whatever was at hand and mostly they seemed to work. Perhaps those that I threw away as faulty, weren't, but just weren't the correct match for the generator. There is a book on this and other Renault 6V devices that gives the apporopriate details. I think Bob G has a book, not sure he is on here very often.

Bob has a Renault factory manual on electrical equipment that covers a range of models, so yes. My understanding is the same, that there are a few different Ducellier regulators that are matched to certain generators, presumably those of difference current delivery.

I had a "Multiset" brand, three-coil regulator on my Renault 4CV for 40 years, the point being that it doesn't have to be a Ducellier regulator. This was an English device and AFAIK it is still perfect - I've fitted a 6V alternator now so it is in the cupboard in case I ever go back to fully original (most unlikely).

An old school auto-electrician would be a good start - I'd have thought there'd be a few 6V negative-earth regulators that would be suitable if you could find one. They do come up on ebay but how to be sure it would be suitable? Not sure.

Then you could consider fitting a 6V alternator and get much better current at low revs. A few of us with 4CVs have done this successfully. They are available new in USA.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Good info in factory workshop manuals.
    MR56 for the Floride using same 670-05 engine as Dauphine G, has:
    Ducellier 7181G gen uses 1331C reg
    Ducellier 7188G gen uses 8212A reg, nominated as 'watertight' design replacing 7181G and 1331C.
    This manual is undated. MR58 for R1090, R1091 and R1093 from circa 1962 would have more info.
    It also mentions to refer to MR49 to bench test reg.
    Sorry, i don't have either to hand. Sunroof may?
    Stew.
    Sunroof and G4ME like this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

So didn’t the one work that I gave the boys ?
    They were supposed to call me if they needed another one as I found the one that came out of a stock Floride that I’d stripped.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    So didn’t the one work that I gave the boys ?
    They were supposed to call me if they needed another one as I found the one that came out of a stock Floride that I’d stripped.
    Hi John,
    Mate firstly thanks for all your help - One of the quiet achievers so thank you.
    Nah Paul is telling me it didn't work. Dave C has one on the 750 rotting in his front yard that I can try but I thought I'd try and get a little knowledge before just taking stabs in the dark.
    Do you have any others that might be a goer?
    Cheers...Paul
    BTW Do you want some cash or beer or something for your troubles?
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Thanks everyone. I've contacted an auto electrician that I've used before to see what he has. Turns out he used to work in the Renault Factory in Romania. He's old school and loves a Renault.
    There's also a chance at the auto electrician who took Auto Surpluses old electrical stock. I'll try him also.

Here's something to make you chuckle. I contacted a guy off Gumtree who has NOS of these. He wants $1200. I paid less for the whole car. It may be a sellers market and all about supply and demand but $1200 - really ?????

Cheers...Paul
    jaahn likes this.

You will need to work out what equipment the car has at the moment, as the generator and voltage regulator are matched items - due to the Ducellier regulator being built as a "sealed" unit and not intended to be adjustable. So if you use say a 24 amp Ducellier 1275 regulator pinched from a 750 with your Ducellier 7188 G 32 amp generator, the battery will likely never charge effectively.

As indicated above, originally the 1961 Dauphine G would have been fitted with a 7188G Ducellier generator, and an 8212A Ducellier regulator. The model numbers are stamped on the base of the unit between the DYN and BAT terminals.

If you can find a generic adjustable 6 volt regulator, it may be able to be adjusted by a good knowledgeable auto electrician to suit your generator.

Oh, and look out for an MR93 Renault workshop manual, this suits all the R1090, R1091 and 1093 up to the disc brake era, and include all the variations and specs.
    JohnW and G4ME like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Hi John,
    Mate firstly thanks for all your help - One of the quiet achievers so thank you.
    Nah Paul is telling me it didn't work. Dave C has one on the 750 rotting in his front yard that I can try but I thought I'd try and get a little knowledge before just taking stabs in the dark.
    Do you have any others that might be a goer?
    Cheers...Paul
    BTW Do you want some cash or beer or something for your troubles?
    Already sorted with Col so I don’t mind dropping the Floride one off to them for a try if needed.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Already sorted with Col so I donít mind dropping the Floride one off to them for a try if needed.
    Thanks John. Any help is most welcome
    Cheers
    Paul

Thread Information