Why no Backwards?
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why no Backwards?

Default Why no Backwards?

I'm having trouble finding the wrong way gear in the Renault 12 I picked up from Greg (Hi Greg).

I wondered if it was just the limiter on the bottom, he indicated the gearbox was rebuilt before it went in the car, but in removing it there was no change.

But first some quick logic checking,

1 - To select reverse in a 4sp box from a 12, you push down and aim for near enough second gear
    2 - In this position, the gearbox selector thingy-shaft, (selector shaft) will be all the way in, and in the process of selecting reverse, it will be turned clockwise

Do I at least have that the right way round?

It's been a long day

#EDIT

Advertisement

The clutch cable has not been checked!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow maybe.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bowie, if you are selecting from inside should be straight across to left while pushing down as far as you can go then backwards.from under the car it will be (looking from back of gearbox towards front of car)turned anti clockwise and pushed forwards into gearbox,you should be able to hear the gears engage usually because of reverse idler straight cut gears meshing.....just an idea.....jim

COL

If the bushes are flogged out and there is lots of slop in the linkage it can be hard to find reverse.

The other thought is everything assembled correctly? I mean where the gear stick attaches to the remote link.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Not sure about 4 speed boxes as mine are all 5 speed but with a 5 speed the linkage adjustment is very fine and not getting reverse is the usual problem if the linkage is not adjusted correctly.

Reverse selection is down - left - back as you know, so reverse is next to second.

The rubber part of the 'silentblocs' in the linkage can detach from the metal backing which makes selection very difficult. This usually happens on one side first so is not immediately noticeable until both sides fail and the gear linkage hits the road. It's hard to see if one side is delaminated unless you actually take the linkage apart.
    This is quite a common failure as the rubber becomes contaminated with oil leaking past the selector seal leading to rapid failure.
    (I've put some stainless steel hose clamps around the linkage on my car as a failsafe after two failures in six months, one with new silentbolcs)
    Also, check your rear gearbox mounts. If the gear leaver linkage is even slightly out of alignment it can make selections difficult.

Of course it could be wear in the gearbox but linkages are relatively easy to check and make good before ripping the gearbox out.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Cheers everyone,

The silent blocks are new, I'll have to look at the linkage and mounts carefully I suppose.

It is possible to select revere without the lever advantage, Ie with a big pair of vice grips from under the car? (before I try and hurt something or myself)

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

The only thing stopping the Ďbox going into reverse from the lever is the peg on the base of the gearlever getting stopped by the plastic wedge bolted underneath the car. The only reason for pushing the lever down is for the peg to clear the plastic wedge reverse detent.

Therefore you should be able to manipulate the gear selector from underneath the car if the gear lever selector rod is disconnected, to slot in and feel for all four gears and reverse. Reverse will be to the other side of second, pushing the selector shaft forwards under the car (so second, fourth and reverse can be selected by pushing the selector shaft forwards into the gearbox from under the car).

The usual party trick for a Renault 12 gearbox with a poorly adjusted or non-existent reverse detent plastic wedge, is for reverse to be selected (OK, clashed) when attempting a first to second gear change, or going from third to second.

Just make sure the chassis rails havenít been lozenged in a smash, and that all mounts (engine and gearbox) are in good nick, and the rear gearbox bracket isnít bent, as if the engine/trans unit isnít square in the car, there will be selection issues.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information