Renault diagnostic clip
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Renault diagnostic clip

1000+ Posts

Default Renault diagnostic clip

Jaahn i seem to recall that you bought one but i forgot details? Was it one of those?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTwxp7XC_Q
    Anyway, our Megane 1.2 GtLine is getting to the end of it's warranty period. After that i intend to do my own maintenance, avoiding the expensive oil changes that's why i'm looking for a diagnostic tool and would appreciate others experiences with them (make etc.)

Advertisement

The one in the video sounds good but i'm a bit weary of sales pitches.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Hi JoBo
    I did look into the subject some time ago. But no the tools in the video were not on my list. I did not get any good feed back from my comments last time.
    I think the Renault Clip clones are probably the best but need to be on an old laptop and using old software that is cloned. ???
    So buying a scanner that is selfcontained and just needs to have the buttons pressed like those on the video, and no computer problems looks very easy and attractive. My old scanner was like that and for normal use was good. But obsolete now.
    Dave (dmccurtayne) suggested that a Delphi was a good unit and a clone of those would do the job. I did buy one off ebay, but there were software problems that I have not really addressed fully. His unit did work on my Captur but my computer does not like the software. I have been slack and not fixed that since.
    Jaahn
    Here are some previous discussions from AF.
    Modern Renault diagnostic tools ?
    Renault Clip and Windows 10 compatabiity ? Anyone done this and lived ?

As far as the sales pitch goes, all clones say they will do what the factory tools do but my experience is they do not. So be very wary yes.

1000+ Posts

Thanks Jaahn!
    I've been done by a relative cheapy from China. I even called them and talked/told them that i want it for a Toyota with a jap protocol.
    She assured me that it was good for that and much more - all bullshit!
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

I forgot Col has an iCarsoft and is happy with it.
    Alan Moore hasn't used his Autel MD 802 on any car past 2009.
    Stephen Hawking

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    I forgot Col has an iCarsoft and is happy with it.
    Alan Moore hasn't used his Autel MD 802 on any car past 2009.
    The Icarsoft is only a diagnostic tool and you can't change parameters with it. I have only used my Icarsoft on my 2002 Laguna ii and it works fine.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Did some snooping and found this video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxsdCtxvtE
    Basically if one wants to look up generic codes only - buy the cheapest you can find. It's really not very useful in my opinion.
    If you buy an advanced one, even a moderately advanced one, it's a must to understand the car's system in order to get max info from the tool. The upside is that they are more model specific.
    On a latish model car a useful tool is a multi system reader (not just a 4 system) - preferentially bi-directional (to make it easy to turn things on and off e.g. fuel pump etc)
    I inquired for a recommendation from the Australian distributor of Autel about a week ago. Asked about their recommendation for our Renault, what tech. back up is, cost - no reply so far.
    Launch look like they have good products at competitive prices - if one can trust internet reviews. The Autel seems very good as well but a bit more expensive for much the same features.
    Will have to weigh it up against professional diagnostic cost. The independent shop near us charges $85 for a scan. Dealers from about $180.- +.
    Stephen Hawking

In years in the trade it’s almost impossible to find a scanner that does everything right we’ve had snapon modus’es autels launchers Bosch and Delphi’s and of course the dealer tools you always find one will do something faster better it comes down to how much you want to outlay.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thread Information