Why is my Koleos service light coming on when braking?!?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SamT

Thread: Why is my Koleos service light coming on when braking?!?

Default Why is my Koleos service light coming on when braking?!?

Hi,

Advertisement

Does anyone know what would cause the service light (spanner icon) to come on when I push the brake pedal? This has just started happening. It goes straight back out again when you take your foot off the brake. Pads and fluid good. Car drives normal. Car is a 2009 diesel Koleos.
    Thanks, Sam

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    I will have a wild stab: are the brake lights actually working? A faulty brake light switch could cause a CEL to come on, in some cars at least. Beyond that, it would be handy to read the fault code with a scanner. Alternatively, some cars can be made to flash the fault code on one of the instrument lights, if you bridge a couple of contacts in the OBDII port. That said, I don't know if any of that applies to your car specifically.

Andy

You'd really need to read the error code with a scanner but as it's the 'spanner' symbol it's likely to be something like a brake light out etc. If it were a fault with the brakes themselves, e.g. low fluid, or a leak, the 'brake circuit' symbol, (the exclamation mark in a circle) and the 'STOP' light would come on.
    Like 1972Ren said, check your brake bulbs, including the auxiliary brake light, as they're the easiest and cheapest to eliminate. Other than that you'd probably need to decipher the error code.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Have you tested your ABS? I have seen similar things in other cars when an ABS wire was disconnected...
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know what would cause the service light (spanner icon) to come on when I push the brake pedal? This has just started happening. It goes straight back out again when you take your foot off the brake. Pads and fluid good. Car drives normal. Car is a 2009 diesel Koleos.
    Thanks, Sam
    Might be time to plug her into a diagnostic computer if all the likely suspects such as bulbs have been eliminated.

Jo

There is a specific ABS warning light if there is something amiss in the ABS system.
    The spanner warning light is usually for non-critical or routine maintenance items.
    Anything important would normally light-up the "STOP" warning light plus the light corresponding to the location, i.e. the motor symbol or or brake symbol, etc.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

The spanner light on my Koleos only comes on together with the DPF light, indicating it's time for 100 Km @100 Km/h......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

My car's spanner light came on when the silly aftermarket chip thingy was connected and probably stuffing up egt or mixture trims, and now days when I extend the intentional low set service interval.
    Jo

Thanks Andy. It seems you are right.... no Brake lights. I presume the switch has gone?!

Thanks for your help everyone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Hi,
    I will have a wild stab: are the brake lights actually working? A faulty brake light switch could cause a CEL to come on, in some cars at least. Beyond that, it would be handy to read the fault code with a scanner. Alternatively, some cars can be made to flash the fault code on one of the instrument lights, if you bridge a couple of contacts in the OBDII port. That said, I don't know if any of that applies to your car specifically.

Andy
    Shoji likes this.

Are there s few brake switches??
    How do you start the car with a faulty brake switch?
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Are the brake lights multiplexed on a Koleos? In other words are the rear lights actually controlled by a computer down just one wire to another device in the boot that actually does the switching. I understand that they are on a Latitude, not that I have any proof they are other than what I was told when Renault fitted a tow bar. Saying that you cannot just go wire for wire to a trailer plug as the controlling computer gets confused and indicates a failure. There was a special box that had to be fitted. Just wondering.

Thread Information