R16TL four speed gearbox to build a R8 "big box"
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stew H

Thread: R16TL four speed gearbox to build a R8 "big box"

Default R16TL four speed gearbox to build a R8 "big box"

I have allready a R5 Alpine five speed gearbox(similar to the R16TX box but bellhousing fits Sierra engine) that I plan to use to build a five speed "big box" for my R8 but Im afraid its a bit to complicated.

A R16TL four speed gearbox have turned up for sale. As I understand building a four speed "big box" is a lot easier. Simply switching the new internals into a 330 case and making up some diff bearing carrier spacers?

Will any R16 four speed be suitable?

Advertisement

Hi Reidar,

Seems nobody can answer this. When you say 16TL is up for sale, do they have the crossflow engine in?

Remember the R16 was a 1455 non-crossflow engine with possibly a different block and bell housing.

I would chance an answer to your question. If it is a crossflow engine with either Solex or Weber Carburettor son then it should fit.

Regards, Frans.

PS. This link is to my method of big-box modification with equal spacers on either side of the box, all others do it differently with one thick spacer and the then the offset of the wheelbase is rectified by mounting the motor and gearbox assembly 6mm to the opposite side so that the wheels are back to the centre. R16 internals in R8 Casing
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Does it matter what engine size it was to the internals of the g'box? That's all he needs.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

I think the 'crossflow' part is what Franz is getting across. A 16TS box is needed, rather than 'TL' box that likely NOT strong enuff to take power from a 807 with twin webbers.
    Frans likes this.

I see.

That said, ratios would be different too, I imagine.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Does it matter what engine size it was to the internals of the g'box? That's all he needs.
    I am not sure if the 1455 non-crossflow gearbox casing and internals are the same as the 1565 TS versions. I've never seen a R16 with open bonnet yet. In ZA they were very rare. I.ve seen the engine on a distance, different looking rocker cover I think.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thanks for the link Frans. That thread answers most of my questions. Simon is wery clear that the box in the R16TL is more or less the same as in the TS so the box up for sale is suitable.
    I have also been a bit confused by the 2x6mm or 1x12mm spacer subject as it alters the fosition of the diff/crownwheel but you cover that perfectly in that word document.

Thread Information