1969 French Film showing Renault Assembly Line.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Sunroof
  • 3 Post By forumnoreason
  • 2 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By Trading Estate

Thread: 1969 French Film showing Renault Assembly Line.

1000+ Posts

Default 1969 French Film showing Renault Assembly Line.

The other night I watched a French comedy on SBS on Demand. I watched because of the rear end of an R4 shown in the add for the picture. It was G rated so pretty dumb but.....

During the credits they showed the Renault assembly line producing 10's,16, 12, 4, and 6's. All in glorious colour.

Also the while on the road there was an almost constant stream of French vehicles many Renaults of the period. It was in good colour and either filmed in 1969 or very cleverly spliced together at a later time. The gadgets the R4 was supposedly equiped with would be the envy of every R4 owner. Love to own the little orange sports car of unknown make. In the film it went like the clappers and sounded great.

Advertisement

Film was called Trafic.
    Kenfuego and J-man like this.

COL

Thanks for posting Rob.

For those like me that missed Trafic, its on SBS on Demand. It runs for 93 minutes.

I will watch later when I have nothing else to do.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Jacques Tati's work should never be described as dumb Sunroof. He was a comic genius and equal to Buster Keaton. Viewers find that it takes numerous sittings to absorb all the subliminal jokes going on in the background and the subtle complexity of the stream of puns and twists his stories take. Watch his other films also streaming on SBS. I watched Jour de Fete again the other night and it is beyond clever. Plus the producers have managed to get it colourized according to the requisites Tati originally sought but the lab at the time wasn't able to produce.
    Classic Tati scenes include the boys whistling trick and Hulot pruning the hedge in Mon Oncle and the idiosyncratic dance of the windscreen wipers in Trafic. You could go on all day citing the gags from all his films really. Bloody marvellous.

G rating..... for Genius!!!

https://youtu.be/n9lcgEe3-YE
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 4th August 2019 at 11:19 AM.

1000+ Posts

I remember a put down by a girl in a 1960's French film - "you've got a face like an R4". I like Tati's early films more than his later although I never got to see all of Trafic because the projector at the Rivoli Cinema broke down halfway through.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    I remember a put down by a girl in a 1960's French film - "you've got a face like an R4". I like Tati's early films more than his later although I never got to see all of Trafic because the projector at the Rivoli Cinema broke down halfway through.
    Trafic can be viewed on SBS on Demand https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Beyond the opening credits featuring the Daf factory, and Renault 16s being parked in the holding yard, Trafic runs out of ideas and loses its way about half way through. Playtime and Mon Oncle are where Jacques Tati was at his most ingenious.
    tresbon2 and Stew H like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I remember our Year 7 French class was taken to the the Regent theatre in Melbourne in 1959 to watch Mon Oncle! Fond memories - great film. Don't forget the swinging noisy screen door in 'holiday'?
    Simon likes this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Plus one to that Simon! Trafik does show some very whimsical stuff that we have all wanted to do at one time or another. Maybe it wasn't enough material for a feature film. Speaking of this, there is a great little film called "4L" on Net Flicks right now that may be of interest. It involves the memory of Marreau and his exploits in the desert
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Tadpole

While not French, Daf and later Volvo NL used Renault 1108cc and 1397cc engines in the 44, 55, 66, 343 and 345 models using the Van Doorn CVT 'rubber band' transmission in front engine, rear drive config. Aus only got the Volvo 360. I think it had the 2L PRV engine but don't know what transmission lurked in the rear? Yes, rear gearbox. Anyone know if it was also Renault?
    Did any Daf 44, 55 or Volvo 66, 343 or 345 make it to Aus?
    Also SBS channel 32 World Movies had these on Free to Air.
    Cheers.
    Stew.

Thread Information