• 2 Post By rotor4
  • 5 Post By rotor4
  • 2 Post By rotor4
  • 1 Post By HONG KONG PUGGY
  • 1 Post By rotor4

Thread: Renault Megane 225 sport woes

Tadpole

Default Renault Megane 225 sport woes

I'm new to Renault vehicles & also of being a member of this forum. As I was looking for info on a ignition issue that has cursed the above car I noticed this group & thought why not so joined,thank you admin. Now my recent purchase Megane 225 has 155,000ks full service hist & is pretty straight.The problem is this it's only running on 2 cylinders (2,3) it has several codes all are DF,0138,460,461,054 most I have figured out. The first three are clutch switch not contacting upper switch & two shorting coils all repaired,the last is turbo actuator that I'll get to later. The compression has been tested & although not great ah it's a old car,but the worst issue is the injector signal for cylinders 1-4 fires on start up then 2-3 seconds later dies as indicated by "noid test light",it limp modes & runs rough won't rev much over 3000rpm has check eng light on.The injectors have 12v constant & all work as I have swapped them & coils over to the working cylinders with no change. I have pulled the battery checked the fuse box for corrosion or issues of that nature. Checked fuses chased & tested the wiring from all injectors to the connectors to the cpu & it all seems sound. I'm now considering my next step is it a bad earth or a sensor fault like camshaft or worst the cpu failed,as I'm a back yarder I'm running out of ideas so any new ones will be welcomed in my quest to get this thing on the road.

Advertisement

I know this suggestion is contrary to a back yard solution, but when you have fully run out of ideas, consider getting in touch with the guys as renotech in Hornsby.
    They are nice guys, very communicative and go the extra for their (mainly) Renault sport customers.
    If you like RS, you'll see a lot of eye candy on their hoists!!
    Good luck,
    Jo
    JohnW likes this.

Plugs for the coils in the correct cylinders ?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

You could also join the ozrs forum and ask there or read up and you may even find your problems already discussed.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

I spoke to a employee named Miles at Renotech & he was happy to share his knowledge about the issues & his suspicions with my vehicles problem. And the loom breakout to cylinder position is idiot proof,unless you are really determined I suppose.
    Last edited by rotor4; 5th August 2019 at 08:27 AM.
    jo proffi likes this.

I agree but assumption is the mother of all

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rotor4 View Post
    I spoke to a employee named Miles at Renotech & he was happy to share his knowledge about the issues & his suspicions with my vehicles problem. And the loom breakout to cylinder position is idiot proof,unless you are really determined I suppose.
    You know when you make something idiot proof, they will make a better idiot.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Tadpole

Default Mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    You know when you make something idiot proof, they will make a better idiot.
    I suppose you could be right on that point,people & common sense don't always go hand in hand.

1000+ Posts

Hi rotor4
    You can keep guessing and asking and might snag the answer. Looking at the UK forums and answers is always good, as they seem to find all the problems faster over there But they can talk a lot of sh*t too. Join those forums.

But a sensible answer would be to buy a Renault Clip diagnostic tool and get good answers by looking at the problems in real time while (someone else is) driving the car. It might find some different codes too which the generic tools do not. But you do need to interperate the information as it does not just give the answers on a plate
    good luck jaahn

Tadpole

Re clip:My son & I purchased both a Clip & Launch OB2 this week as the latter reads various euro + Jap vehicles,having seven cars in the household it's worth the money even for service resets etc as required. I have looked at the UK forums & found most are on what I would call "sensible cars " diesels & alike. But the performance side of the conversation is mostly about "bull**** mods" by young blokes to exhaust & intake pods,wheels etc so of little use. The technical issues are mainly about engine misfires by coil-packs or shorted injectors or guy's wasting a stack of $$ on replacing perfectly good sensors with new,only to find still having a problem. Although I will keep looking as you suggested,but so far not a lot about testing components re-actual injection issues either sensor failure or on the electrical side including the ecu.I watched several U-tube posts about testing & now understand a little more of the ignition circuit so hope the OB2 & Clip will arrive soon & we can continue on.Thanks for your post,& when the issue is rectified I will post the info so others might find it of use in diagnosing issues with their vehicles. ***** -UPDATE 21.8.19: The clip has arrived & my son has begun to understand the complexities of the Renault program so far it has confirmed the issues as per the "Launch OBD" reader noted but has pinpointed "which sensor". The top 02 & turbo actuator solenoid was indicated so I tested the loom & 12v was present so I swapped the lower 02 with it & bingo the issue showed up in reverse. The turbo act sol was tested with a multi-meter & was found "open circuit",I further tested it by applying 12v directly with no effect,I also took the time to test the actuator & it opens & closes by using compressed air when applied. So at this stage new parts have been ordered & will be installed asap,we will see where to then
    Last edited by rotor4; 21st August 2019 at 05:39 AM.
    JoBo and JohnW like this.

Tadpole

I did find this forum in the uk that has a lot of various posts about problems : https://www.meganesport.net/communit...(Members-Only)

Tadpole

Default Update 2

Sorry accidental posting twice please see below posting.
    Last edited by rotor4; 25th August 2019 at 05:48 AM. Reason: posted twice

Tadpole

Default Update 2

Ok for those interested in the progress of our 225,first the "clip" is a must have with these modern cars the in-depth info on the various systems is impressive. In time he may decide to play with the parameters but at this stage it's only for diagnosis,which can be achieved with a decent OB2 reader as well just not as a precise view. Now the servicing done & defective parts have arrived & new tyres ,brake disks etc have been installed.I started it and although initially it still ran on 2 cylinders,the cpu woke up after a few seconds & gave me a rough running 4. I decided to stop the engine & give it a check over just in-case I left some thing unplugged but all looked good. So tried again & it fired up straight away it then settled into a slightly rough idle that smoothed out within a few minutes,after warming for a while I decided to give it some revs & almost immediately blew off a intercooler hose.That issue sorted the engine now revs & boosts clean & best of all on idle is steady & for a old turbo car it's quiet & sounds like a good engine should. This week it will have the front end put back on & tidied up ready for a blue slip inspection which should go ok ?. Obviously it's all been a torturous couple of months for my son who can't wait to get behind the wheel & at his age I don't blame him. And to be honest I'm really interested to see how it stacks up overall to my Evo 7rs.I think I will have to wait quite a while to find out untill till he thinks to give dad a drive.
    Last edited by rotor4; 11th September 2019 at 02:12 PM.
    JohnW, jaahn, JoBo and 2 others like this.

Tadpole

Okay it's been registered without any further issues to deal with after the blue slip inspection. As I have only had one short drive on the road I'm impressed with the cup chassis though it's quite stiff, it's like a little go cart . The brakes are strong,maybe a little to assisted. The power/ torque is good not a crazy delivery to control. Personally I feel it's best to short shift it as hard reving just is a waste better to pull the next gear. On the tight stuff I feel it would keep many honest & be right up there, can't wait to see.
    FIVEDOOR and Stuey like this.

1000+ Posts

I really like that model, both driving and looks. Besides going well, I like the detail of the bodywork especially the sharp bulge/line over the top of the front guards.

My brother had one, and now has a 265, but remembers the 225 fondly...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

If your impressed with that wait until you try a Clio ll, it puts an even bigger smile on ya face
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

I admit a Clio looks like a fun car. But maybe next time as my new project is a Audi S3 for my youngest son if he wants it once I finish it.

1000+ Posts

Well done rotor4! Wonder what LUNCH you got? Considering buying one for our Megane and other makes we have in the family.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

That would be the absolute last place you would go for technical info.

They are purely a bunch of blokes who drive Renault sport cars and think their Sh*t don't stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    You could also join the ozrs forum and ask there or read up and you may even find your problems already discussed.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

One thing I found on these F4R engines, with manual transmissions when I had my Renault Scenic Rx-4 for about 12 years was the TDC sensor, which sits right above the clutch on the top of the bell housing gets covered in clutch dust which, can on occasions cause very difficult or impossible starting, evidenced by continuous cranking resulting in no engine firing.
    The TDC sensor is located right at the top of the Bell housing and if you search E-bay you will find an image to see what it looks like.

I used to remove the sensor every couple of months and clean it with carbie or brake cleaner spray. It seemed to help with the bad starting. I do know of a few Renault owners who had the same issues. It doesn't seem to affect all F4R engines but many suffered the same fate.

There is also another issue associated with the TDC sensor and it's wiring. Once you have tracked down where the sensor is located, the connections can be cleaned occasionally too. It seemed to remove most of the ignition fault codes too as it is an integral part of the ignition system.
    Sunroof likes this.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Re- the question about the Launch obd I have is a123e. It may be superceded now but has all I require currently. The wifi was a useful function as you can look up code issues on line on the job and email code reports to be assessed by others.
    JoBo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Thank you!
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Thread Information