• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By jo proffi
  • 2 Post By COL

Thread: Renault Laguna ii 2002 V6 Immobiliser

COL

Default Renault Laguna ii 2002 V6 Immobiliser

Went to town tonight to go to a radio club tech night. As I was getting towards the empty end of the fuel tank I thought I would fill up on the way.

So the story goes like this:

Pull into the servo next to the usual fuel pump.

Press the start/stop button and leave the key/card in its slot.

Get out fill car with fuel, grab shopper docket from car and go pay for fuel.

Get back into the car and push the start button and no go.

I notice in the dash that the immobiliser light is flashing at a fast rate.

The problem is exactly what is in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tyOwMbexM

Advertisement

So I try locking, unlocking open door, close door just like the video above but still no go.

I decided to remove my card reader from the dash and dismantle it to see if there was anything obviously wrong with it. These have two little switches in them that are operated as you push the car in. These seem to be ok and the mechanisms operating them were also fine.

I rang a mate that only lives a few blocks from this servo as he happens to have a Laguna as well to borrow his card reader as something easy to try and see if this works. So walk to his house and remove the card reader from his Laguna and then walk back to my car and try the card reader, still no go.

After realising that this is getting me nowhere, I decide to move the car. So I thumble around at the base of the gear stick to release the car from park so that I can move the car out of the way. I can only move in a straight line because the steering is locked.

With the car out of the way I took back the card reader that I had borrowed, and had a coffee and a chat about life and cars in general with my mate. While doing this I did a little bit of Googling about my dilemma. There was not a lot I could find other than about re-programming keys etc. But I did come across a you tube video or two about a similar problem in a Clio and a Traffic. They guy suggested disconnecting the battery for five minutes and reconnecting the battery. Then put the card in the slot and you should be able to start the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlsaZtsCzTU

I had thought about doing this before I seen that video, but sort of dismissed it as I thought that it would not achieve anything. I discussed it with my mate while we were finishing our coffees. After a ten minute discussion we decide that there was nothing to loose by doing this and decided to grab a 10mm spanner and go back to the car. I showed what the car was doing before we disconnected the battery. So up came the bonnet and we disconnected the negative terminal waited for five minutes and then reconnected the battery terminal.

I then slotted the card into its slot and lo and behold on come the dash lights, I pushed the start button and the car fired into life.

Dropped my mated back at his house and gave the car a restart and in behaved like it should do.

I then drove home, when I got home I again restarted the car without any problems.

I'm not sure what caused this problem and probably never will, but it got me thinking about making up a small tool kit to fix these little problems. At present I don't carry any tools in this car. I have a set of jumper leads after a battery/alternator issue about 8 months ago.

So far I have thought that I need to carry a 3/8 drive extension and a tommy bar (or similar) the auxiliary belt tensioner, a 10mm spanner for the battery. Maybe I should also carry enough tools to change the spark plugs and coil packs as well.
    Sunroof and Kenfuego like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Well sorted.
    You could always join the RACQ, NRMA, RACV or whatever the Tasmanian version is called and use their tools.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Well sorted.
    You could always join the RACQ, NRMA, RACV or whatever the Tasmanian version is called and use their tools.
    If they actually carry anything much these days. If it isn't the battery, no fuel, or a spare tyre that needs to be changed they call a tow truck, and in some cases even that costs you.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Well sorted.
    I use to be a member of the RACT many years ago and decided that as I was not using the brake down service decided not to renew my membership, that must of been about 25 years ago now.

The few problems that I have had in that time I have been able to sort out myself on the side of the road.

When I was using the Renault 12's as daily drivers I use to carry a small tool kit and a few consumables.

When I started to get into the Lagunas I carried spare auxiliary belts but no tools to change them which in hind sight is probably not a smart move. The premise for this was that there is not much you can do to fix a modern car on the side of the road.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Maybe include a box of matches.

Jo
    COL and Kenfuego like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    If they actually carry anything much these days. If it isn't the battery, no fuel, or a spare tyre that needs to be changed they call a tow truck, and in some cases even that costs you.
    Normal cover is useless in country areas, particularly TAS, however their ultimate cover has saved me a few times. I highly recommend their ultimate cover, which even covers you as a passenger! In Tas RACTV doesn't have km limits for ultimate cover, so you can recover your car from interstate (not covering the ferry).

I had a Laguna II fuel problem that also required a windows style reboot of the computer when I forgot I need 91+ fuel. Limp mode.. battery off for 5 mins.. off we go for another 50km.