R12 boot seal
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: R12 boot seal

Default R12 boot seal

I'm looking to replace the boot lip seal on my 12.

As the R12 was assembled in Melbourne they are likely to have used locally sourced materials (at the time) to get the local content up. Are there any other cars from other manufacturers at the time that use the same size seal, (e.g. Cortina, mini, etc.).
    If all else fails I'll go the route of getting one from overseas but they invariably cost more in postage than the value of the goods.

I've measured the seal on the car and it appears to be quite small as compared to most other seals. The lip on the boot aperture is only about 4mm - 5mm and the pinchweld portion of the R12 seal is about 10mm. Not sure of the size of the bulb as almost 50 years of being squashed has deformed the rubber but I'm guessing at about 12mm or so.
    Clark's don't appear to have a seal of the required size, they're all bigger, and I don't know what happened to Peter Jackson Auto Rubber. They appear to have moved from Sydney to Tasmania and/or don't appear to be in business anymore. Rare Spares have boot seals but they're all listed as being for various models of Holdens and Fords and they don't usually mention the size.
    eBay, didn't have a R12 seal (no surprise there) and again have lots of generic or model specific seals but most are either too big (where the size is mentioned) or the just list by vehicle type without a size. R12 Shop did but they're shut for their summer holidays now and other suspects may also have one but the exorbitant shipping costs come into the equation.

Advertisement

The current seal leaks when there is heavy rain or during car washing.
    Crappy seal only lasted 47 years.
    Hope to get it replaced before the next wet season. (we seem to be heading toward a La Nina cycle so if I replace the seal it will be almost guaranteed there won't be much rain this summer. Just to make sure there's a drought, I'll change the wiper rubbers too).

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

When I need a new seal for my R12 wagon I took the old seal to my local Rare Spares shop and bought the closest profile off the roll.

The seal was a bit tight on closing the tail gate, but after a little time it was squashed into shape.
    bowie likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

RTT,
    You mention that the boot leaks.
    Check the holes for the clips which secure the chrome strip just below the boot lid. The water runs down the boot lid, in behind the chrome strip and then into the boot via the clip holes.
    If so, then better to seal them up and attach strip with co-polymer sealant/adhesive.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Hello Henry,

I'll have another look at the chrome strip but I don't think this is the case.
    The water in the boot tends to be at the other end of the boot, i.e. closest to the front of the car (and mostly on the passenger side).
    Of course, water being water it could could come in anywhere and run to that spot if it's the lowest point.
    Also, there's already a fair bit of silicon on the chrome strip that the PO had applied.
    I thought this was to hold the strip on because the clips had rusted out but maybe it was to stop water ingress.

The way to find out would be to shut myself in the boot with a torch and have someone spray the car with water and see where it come in.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Just don't jump in with the boot keys in your pocket!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Renault Rod View Post
    Just don't jump in with the boot keys in your pocket!
    Actually if you make sure that the boot lock is unlocked it is probably better to have the keys on you as know one then can lock you in the boot.

From a distant memory I think the boot lock can be opened from inside by poking your finger in the right place. The trick is being able to be flexible enough to turn around in the boot.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Clark Rubber have cheap boot rubber seals

Thread Information