• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Renault 365 R17TS Gearbox

Default Renault 365 R17TS Gearbox

Hi Guys,
    I have a Renault R17TS 365-34 gearbox.
    I know the R17's have 365 and 395 gearboxes but what does the -34 signifiy?

Advertisement

Cheers...Paul
    IMG_2065.jpg
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Hi Paul.Selling??? You have sold your 17 to Max, so box for sale? I'm officially interested.
    I'm guessing the ratio types with num 34. More info from other AF members will be interesting
    G4ME likes this.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Paul,
    A lot of discussion and information here :

365 Gearbox info please

Ray
    G4ME likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, Renault gearboxes had suffix numbers like that depending on the application. I don't know specifically what the -34 signifies, but my information says 365-33, -34, & -35 were all variants from the R17TS & R17 Gordini.
    They all have the same gear ratios:
    365-33, -34, -35
    1st gear 11/38 3.46:1
    2nd gear 17/38 2.24:1
    3rd gear 23/37 1.61:1
    4th gear 28/34 1.21:1
    5th gear 31/29 0.94:1
    Final drive 9/34 3.78:1
    Overall ratio in 5th 3.55

365-02 to -07 had slightly taller 1st & 2nd, and were used in R17TS13/47
    3.61:118/42
    2.33:1

365-00 had a taller 5th, and therefore taller overall ratio in top. It was used in the Lotus Europa Special and the R12 Homologation special.(no don't know anything about that, but that is what I copied from a source some time back)
    31/27 0.87:1
    Regards,Andy
    vivid and G4ME like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I wondered if you had sold that with the car... assumed you had... want to sell it?
    G4ME likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    I know the R17's have 365 and 395 gearboxes but what does the -34 signifiy?
    365-34 = a RHD R1317 gearbox.
    G4ME, Sunroof and J-man like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Anyone have a spare 365-34 id tag? My 365 has lost it (came from an oz delivered 1317 17TS).
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Fellow Frogger!

It might be a good idea to stamp the model ID onto the casing.
    Sunroof likes this.

Thanks everyone for the info. I was just a bit curious on the -34

It will most likely be going up on ebay in a few weeks time for those interested in buying it.
    That'll let all the Renault, Alpine and Lotus people bid it up to help fund whatever I do next :-)
    Cheers...Paul
    angru and Shoji like this.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    Anyone have a spare 365-34 id tag? My 365 has lost it (came from an oz delivered 1317 17TS).
    I've got one. Comes with a free gearbox but you should see the price of the tag :-)
    driven likes this.

Better get a LSD for the 365 box as well

A snip at $1400, 365 box must be worth $3-4000 on the world-wide market

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/lotus-euro...d-differential
    Shoji and angru like this.

Not a good idea to stress an already weak g'box. If anything I would upgrade the final drive/crownwheel pair.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Problem with the 365 boxes was their diff center was too strong... with the 4 spider gears in the center the weak links were the crownwheel and pinion set, and the gearset.
    How do you upgrade the crownwheel and pinion?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Not a good idea to stress an already weak g'box. If anything I would upgrade the final drive/crownwheel pair.

Nah, the four satellites are not the problem. The pinion/crownwheel are too weak.

You get a pair machined from scratch by a reputable shop. If the price for a 365 g'box is indeed around the 4k $ mark, it is cheaper and better to just get a pair machined and make your own g'box by mixing and matching gears.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Have to look into that... you’d get a primary shaft and secondary gears to suit made too?

Nah, the four satellites are not the problem. The pinion/crownwheel are too weak.

You get a pair machined from scratch by a reputable shop. If the price for a 365 g'box is indeed around the 4k $ mark, it is cheaper and better to just get a pair machined and make your own g'box by mixing and matching gears.

The only good part of the 365, IMHO, is the ratios. If I had a broken one I would try putting the gears into a 395, as they have a much stronger CW&P. Only thing is you loose out on diff ratio. But most want a working gearbox so why not just fit a 395 straight off ....??

When we stripped the 365 to build the big 5 steed 330, and people found out we had a CW&P my phone rang for a year.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

The 395 has a run of the mill crownwheel/pinion no different to what you find in a 352. I doubt it is meant to deal with power of a tuned 807.

Angru, the gears of the 365 is what everybody is after. I don't think they need modifying but I see your point. Strengthening the diff moves the weak spot elsewhere however I think it is easier to have these made to replace a broken one than the crownwheel/pinion. That said, they are just ordinary gears, inherently stronger than a hypoid, which is a compromise with a different purpose. Try a NG5 or an UN1 if you want a box impossible to kill.

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah. That’s my point. If you can easily get a primary shaft and set of gears for the secondary shaft made to suitable ratios then the ng box would be a great candidate to build a close ratio box. If you talk about mixing and matching gears to get the ratios you want you need to have a primary shaft that will suit and as that’s a solid shaft with all gears fixed.

The 395 has a run of the mill crownwheel/pinion no different to what you find in a 352. I doubt it is meant to deal with power of a tuned 807.

Angru, the gears of the 365 is what everybody is after. I don't think they need modifying but I see your point. Strengthening the diff moves the weak spot elsewhere however I think it is easier to have these made to replace a broken one than the crownwheel/pinion. That said, they are just ordinary gears, inherently stronger than a hypoid, which is a compromise with a different purpose. Try a NG5 or an UN1 if you want a box impossible to kill.

Just order all broken parts from Germany
    GBS A110 Catalog Gearbox Type 365 385 (1600SC & SX )

COL

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Just order all broken parts from Germany
    GBS A110 Catalog Gearbox Type 365 385 (1600SC & SX )
    GBS is located on the French Riviera
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

French, Germany, same same but different?

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Schlitie,
    The 365 can't even handle a mild 807, why do you think even sreeet driven cars have broken the CW&P, whereas the 395 has had the 2.0 and 2.2 Douvrin motor work through them and all still in good condition. Now find me a Proper R12/17 365 CW&P. there is only one place in Europe who make the after market sets and they are Prina in Italy, and they won't make you 5 or 10, they want an order of 50 min. and then you will wait a while, while they slot it into there current production Schedule. The R8 Gordini set is E1400.00 for a batch of 100. Contact GBS and see if they have in stock.

Oh and "Driven" the 365 and 385 are not the same sets, one is a box in front and the other is a box behind the flywheel.

Ray
    Last edited by geckoeng; 24th July 2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Bustamif likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    Yeah. That’s my point. If you can easily get a primary shaft and set of gears for the secondary shaft made to suitable ratios then the ng box would be a great candidate to build a close ratio box. If you talk about mixing and matching gears to get the ratios you want you need to have a primary shaft that will suit and as that’s a solid shaft with all gears fixed.

My point is that the primary shaft is already available in a number of ratios, but you have to find it/the version you need/want. They used all sorts in various vehicles. Or jus get one of each you can lay hands on.

The NG is a good g'box, but secondary shaft has a different kind of spline, you can't use pinions out of the '3' series g'boxes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Schlitie,
    The 365 can't even handle a mild 807, why do you think even sreeet driven cars have broken the CW&P, whereas the 395 has had the 2.0 and 2.2 Douvrin motor work through them and all still in good condition. Now find me a Proper R12/17 365 CW&P. there is only one place in Europe who make the after market sets and they are Prina in Italy, and they won't make you 5 or 10, they want an order of 50 min. and then you will wait a while, while they slot it into there current production Schedule. The R8 Gordini set is E1400.00 for a batch of 100. Contact GBS and see if they have in stock.

Oh and "Driven" the 365 and 385 are not the same sets, one is a box in front and the other is a box behind the flywheel.

Ray

The 395 never pushed 120/160HP through a set of low gears. R18 had a mere 60HP or some such and the ratios are taller than the 365 so it doesn't build the mechanical advantage to multiply the torque to the same level. But if you're in the market I have a matched 395 set (c'wheel/pinion) brand new in the box right here.

You don't need to go that far. If you have a cool $10k burning a hole in your pocket, Albinsgear in Vic will make you a one off right now (can make a custom ratio too). That's what they quoted me. For a 10 set run, they reckon you can have each set for under 2k AUD and they said it would be much stronger than the original. Have a look on their site, they do some serious hypoid stuff, most of it exported too, including for Dakar racers.

GBS don't have the final drive and/or the crownwheel.

Ok then why is your 365 still without a CW&P ??????
    Ray geckoeng

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information