fuel pump r19
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: fuel pump r19

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

Default fuel pump r19

It is too late to fix this, but have I been ripped paying $355 for a renault 19 fuel pump, the guy told me that it would cost $800+ for a genuine one so I got an aftermarket one for $355, the guy working on it also busted my fuel gauge and now I am paying him to fix it because I can't prove it wasn't broken before, Dave. (these problems have cost me buying my mag wheels unfortunately)

Advertisement
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

.....hmmm....if its the GOSS fuel pump...part num. GE-075.....i believe retail price is about $375....so $355 sound OK....Did u buy the pump or DID he get it in for u?.....most mechanics have trade accounts...so maybe he made $40 on top of his purchase price...no big deal if he had to run around to get one....although if he has an account with a distributor.....he probably shouldn t have charged more than 270 for it......but thats guess work and probably none of our bussiness...after all the guy is trying to make a living.....so yes the $355 sound ok otherwise.........in regards to broken fuel guage.....well thats an altogether differnt matter.........Sometimes i ask my self when will we ever learn...other times its easier to let things slide...maybe he broke it, maybe accidentally maybe through incopetance....we ll probably never know....whats he charging to get the guage going again???If hes been fair about it and if he s genuinely trying to look after u...he s probably worth staying with.....

cheers

dino

.....good luck with it?

1000+ Posts

Default R19 fuel pump

Hi, unfortunate you had such a problem. I had to change ours as well. For next time try BURSONS, i think they quoted me $288.- but i chose to use one that is specified for a V6 Conformadore and it costs $109.-. It is physically a little smaller and the connectors have to be adapted - quite simple soldering job. Don't know if this pump will be ok but it puts out about 300kpa (like the origional) but draws a little more current - about 7.2/7.4 amps versus 5.2/5.4 amps. Both instances with a new fuel filter.
    Hope you don't begrudge what you paid. It happend to me quite a few times as well. That's life.
    JoBo

I have been severely ripped by the guy who fixed my fuel pump.
    here is what I had to pay-
    Aftermarket fuel pump-no name given and it was modified to fit-$416
    fuel filter $20
    $27 of fuel
    labour- $215
    3km tow to the mechanic, by an old kingswood, it was supposed to be a flatbed truck- $72
    and $40 to fix my fuel gauge which he broke himself, this cost me all up $790 to replace a fuel pump, and the $27 of fuel he put in is a mystery as I had $20 already in the tank in a 55 litre tank, the fuel gauge now reads less than a quarter full, it should read closer to full- I had to right this as I am feeling very pissed off as everything this guy has done has been very dodgy after he told me he was good value and new french cars. -A very unhappy Dave

Try replacing a lifter pump in a R25 V6i. Fuel tank has to be removed to do the job. That was a shocking bill.

Cars are expensive, especially aging Renaults when given to mechanics. My advice is, with the older cars especially, do as much as you can yourself. Or be prepared for the occasional bill like this. There isn't much else you can do.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Your biggest problem is that you are in redneck central - I wouldnt trust any of those twits to open the bonnet They see that funny diamond badge and the dollar signs light up in their eyes..... They know nothing about the car or where to buy bits and are not going to make an effort to even do a bit of ringing around for prices.
    If you insist of living there, learn to fix it yourself.....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

If Kynton/Metcaf is close enough for you i know a very good mechanic who has several Renaults as well as quite a few other cars and he is very reasonable.
    JoBo

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Try replacing a lifter pump in a R25 V6i. Fuel tank has to be removed to do the job. That was a shocking bill.
    100 mm holesaw to create access, steel plate and gasket to cover. I thought of that after taking the thing off, only 3 1/2 hours though...... but it's worth it to know that the tank and strainer is clean and the pumps are getting clean fuel .

Farmerdave

Icon8

Haakon, you are right, Iam doing all the future work myself, I am going to go back tomorrow and get some explanations from this guy about-

- My 3km tow that cost $72, using a kingswood and destroying my tow hook in the process.(was meant to be a flatbed truck for $40)

-$27 for fuel that actually evaporated(less after I got it back than when he got it)

-$50 for a fuel gauge recallibration, when it worked fine before he got it.

-and $416 for a fuel pump which I now think may be a commodore one, as it makes more noise, he modified it to fit and I was given no details of any parts bought or used in the process and no details on the pump or any other parts.

- To top it off when I picked up the car it was on a sloped drive and the handbrake had been left off, the only thing holding it was it was in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dave from bendigo
    - My 3km tow that cost $72, using a kingswood and destroying my tow hook in the process.(was meant to be a flatbed truck for $40)
    Destroying the towhook - you should be able to get that fixed or compensation there.

-$27 for fuel that actually evaporated(less after I got it back than when he got it)
    OK, well during the process of repairing the pump and subsequent testing, I'd imagine a reasonable amount of fuel would be used/lost.

-$50 for a fuel gauge recallibration, when it worked fine before he got it.
    If the gauge has been adjusted, how do you know how much fuel was in the car when you got it there?

-and $416 for a fuel pump which I now think may be a commodore one, as it makes more noise, he modified it to fit and I was given no details of any parts bought or used in the process and no details on the pump or any other parts.
    Well, if you don't buy original, of course you will get some sort of generic pump with modifications. What else would you expect?

- To top it off when I picked up the car it was on a sloped drive and the handbrake had been left off, the only thing holding it was it was in gear.
    My R16's/R12's and R17 have been left like that for years (due to ineffective or non-existent handbrakes) and I've yet to "lose" one.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I'd say subscription to the RACV may be cheap insurance. The tow over the 3km would have been free, and they would also be able to assist in possible arbitration over the disputed bill too.

Thread Information