• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By 63-1092

Thread: 1959 or 1960 Renault Floride

Tadpole

Icon5 1959 or 1960 Renault Floride

Hi Guy's and Girl's, first time on a forum of any kind hope i'm doing thing's right would like some help thank's, I have a Renault Floride that I bought about 35 year's ago, due to work injuries I was unable to work on it, my son has taken over the project to get it on the road for my wife who has been waiting patiently all these year's. Not sure how to find out if it's a 1959 or 1960 Floride, but i am looking for 2 chrome headlight surrounds and a radiator. I have a roof for sale with some rust but repairable.
    Having trouble sourcing part's in Whyalla South Australia.
    Any help would be appreciated thank's Eddie.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi eddie
    Welcome. This is the right place with that car, to come to. Wait for the help and suggestions to flood in
    Pictures are always welcome. A bit tricky to put them on here now but a link to another host site might be good.
    The numbers on the ID plates will help with the years.
    Cheers jaahn

The key to identifying the age of a Floride is the oval plate number in the boot, R1092 is the model ID, the other punched number is the fabrication number.

It is very unlikely to be a 1959 car. Australian imports commenced in 1960, with the first Floride shipped into Adelaide, then driven straight to the Melbourne Motor Show in time for the start on March 31. Official sales started in April 1960.

As for parts, try to see if there are any left in the old N.L. Schuppan garage in Ruddal Avenue, which at one time was a Renault agency :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

G'day Eddie,

The headlight surrounds shouldn't be too hard to find on ebay fr if you check in often, I actually had a set that I recently gave away (not much help to you tho). The radiator will likely be the same as a Dauphine and are available new from Europe but it will be a better and cheaper option to have it re-cored locally. The exchange rate, postage from Europe and gadamned gst makes foreign imports less than desirable if it can be avoided.

Having said all that I'll have a scout through my spare parts library and see what I have suitable for you.

Re your year of manufacture. If you check the oval plate in the front luggage compartment it should have R1092 and another number which you can cross reference with this chart to deduce your build date.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Eddie,
    I have a radiator in excellent condition, but as has been stated , you may be advised to just have your radiator recored. Let me know if that is not worthwhile and we can discuss the cost of shipping from Sydney. Chris Hartwell.

Found, they're a bit pricy though..

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/2-CERCLAGES-...AAAOSwvGVa1Rv3

Mr G,

I may end up using aftermarket buckets and rims so if his need is greater than mine and all. I’d just need to know which ones they were.
    KB
    KB

Tadpole

I am getting closer to the end of my Caravelle rebuild and may have a few items left over. Both the F and C are limited in what is available specifically for them, however many parts are available from Dauphine upwards that will suitable for your mechanical requirements. There are a few European suppliers plus I am a huge fan of Ebay.Fr..... Mr Google will become a close friend during your build. As for the headlamp rings here are some.

http://www.bretagneautoretro.fr//crbst_150.html

If you need rust repair I STRONGLY recommend NOT buying the panels sold by the online sites... they are so poorly manufactured and misshapen they are useless and as such a significant waste of money, so find a local “rust man” to do the work.
    Feel free to contact me for any advice on supplies of specific parts or suggestions. Good luck and we all will be looking forward to the end result..

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Which panels do you speak of ? The sill panels ?
    If so, when I bought the rear sill sections they are obviously for a Caravelle and not a Floride but I had to make them fit. Easier task for me than making the whole bit.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Which panels do you speak of ? The sill panels ?
    If so, when I bought the rear sill sections they are obviously for a Caravelle and not a Floride but I had to make them fit. Easier task for me than making the whole bit.
    Off topic, but have you got your red Floride fixed yet John?
    cheers,

John

No, but I’m up to my sixth Clio Sport since I stacked the Floride. Have been playing with them instead and have the latest 182 Cup for sale at the moment
    J-man likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

Cheers for that Simon, not sure if it's still there but I will go and have a look. ;-)

Tadpole

I only got the diamond shaped plate, no oval one?

Tadpole

Hi Chris, my radiator is pretty much like a feather pillow pretty well stuffed after siting in the shed for 30 odd years.
    I you could find the cost of shipping to Whyalla i would gladly pay thank's.

Tadpole

Hi 59 Floride,
    Cheers for that I'll check it out.
    Eddie.

Tadpole

Hi Jaahn,
    Thanks but I don't have the oval plate.
    Understand what your saying about pic's, being a bit computer ignorant will have to see if my daughter can do it for me, she is
    a lot more computer savvy than me.
    thank's Eddie.

Eddie T.
    The Oval plate gives model and build number and might be required for registration. It is used in lie of a VIN Number for old Renaults. Had a bit of an issue with Registering a 68 Caravelle in Vic and telling the VicRoads Guy that these old cars do not have Vin Numbers but have Oval plates. He when away and did a bit off Googling and can back with a copy of the Graph earlier showing build dates and stated that he was finally happy to register the car. Would be worth checking this before moving forward, to make sure you can get the car on the road.

Tadpole

Trying to find out post options on this one.
    Thanks Eddie.

Tadpole

Trying to find out post options on this second one.
    Thanks Eddie.

Fellow Frogger!

.Hi Eddie,
    maybe it might be cheaper to ship via courier, what's your post code? I was keeping the radiator as a spare for my car , however your need may be greater than mine, I would sell it for $125 plus the freight. For the same reason , I have a pair of perfect headlight rims , rechromed and ready to fit. These are $150 - the price of the rechroming. I'll weigh the radiator over the weekend to get an idea of the freight cost. Chris. PS you can PM me if you prefer.

1000+ Posts

The chassis number is what you want and it is on the diamond plate. It is also stamped on the body some where. I cannot remember where on a Floride but on an R10 it is on the inside floor near the right hand B pillar. Someone will know where it is. Really it is the stamped one that counts as although it is also on the diamond plate that is not legal as it can be swapped over with another. The oval plate shows the model number for a Floride. R1192 and the manufacturers build number. That starts at 1 for each new model.

The chassis number on a Floride is stamped on the top of the right chassis rail in the engine bay just up from the engine mount fixing point.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thread Information