• 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By dacia4x4
  • 3 Post By bowie

Thread: Yellow ain't Yellow

Default Yellow ain't Yellow

Dulon Sungold

Advertisement

Click

Is this it, the slightly green yellow? As opposed to the hi-vis yellow orange.

Asking for a friend.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Doesn't look correct as our 1974 12 GL was Sungold, this is a later model shown.More of a deeper yellow much like but not the same as 386 Juane [yellow]

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Dulon Sungold

Click

Is this it, the slightly green yellow? As opposed to the hi-vis yellow orange.

Asking for a friend.
    My Mum had a Virage in the color in the image. As I remember it it looks pretty close.

There was also a darker Renault/ Peugeot yellow a more brown version. Can't tell you the name though.

Here is a sample of the color I'm talking about:

504 yellow.jpg
    Last edited by robmac; 4th July 2019 at 05:31 PM.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My Mum had a Virage in the color in the image. As I remember it it looks pretty close.

There was also a darker Renault/ Peugeot yellow a more brown version. Can't tell you the name though.

Here is a sample of the color I'm talking about:

504 yellow.jpg
    I think that's called Trak Yellow in Renault lingo but in Peugeot lingo may be something different , one of my previous R12's was that colour
    Last edited by COL; 4th July 2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

As best as I can see given variances in monitors, your picture of the R12 looks like Sungold to me, and the 504 photo is indeed Renault Trak Yellow, but as Col said I expect Peugeot call it something else. When painting you may find the Sungold doesn't cover as well as other colours. I remember the painter having a vent about how many coats he had to put on my BMW 2002Tii. It is a pine /lime type colour called Golf.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Bowie’s pic would be 308 yellow, and is of a French build car.

Sungold is an Australian Dulon formulation, and is a deeper yellow colour.

Hopefully attached is a Sungold 16TS, OK, the sun affects the colour, but it is different to the 12 in Bowie’s pic.

The closest match in an Australian formulation would be Bright Yellow from 1976-1978, used on the late 12 1.4/Virage
    Trading Estate likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

hi bowie, cool is correct in that real yellow was used Renault and Peugeot from mid 74 on roughly when they both went to high back seats, both being produced at west Heidelberg factory, the 1.4/virage? colour I think was named daffodil yellow..... jim

Fellow Frogger!

gawd, spellcheck fail again,should be col instead of cool, even though he does have a cool car.... Jim
    COL likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

or Aztec yellow comes to mind for 1.4/virage?been 40 odd years quite a few sleeps and drinks since then..... jim

Suppose I should explain why this matters.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yeb2EujNPXj8DVBr9

I went and picked up the R12 that was for sale in Muswellbrook. True to his word, this is us running it for well the first time since it's been sitting for ~ 20yrs

It's completely stripped, we collected it like this;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dxZ4kxq4VDCX8s716

Everything that came off it is here (minus a front windscreen, a pair of seats, passenger rear door, unsure about all the silver trim, and a indicator light assembly that fell off whilst on the trailer..)

Oh some numbers;
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vrbaE3ZiZ4x9iZYz8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwEW7zK4HRcif7rj6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8f2We4PjotHrwYhd6

So another 1170, but late I suppose. It's got the edge in the roof that my early one doesn't have, whilst still maintaining the taller vents at the rear. Rectangle front lights and the early bumpers, no indicators in the guards. Came with a Solex, where he replaced for the Weber. Engine is an 842-01, and badges that say it was at one point a GL.

Back back to the first video, you can see the original Sungold on the left, and the what ever the other yellow is on the right. I prefer the Sungold and I was just trying to make sure it was what I thought it was.

So thanks above.

I have a lot of work ahead preparing the body and panels. Well, they need sanding and paint.. I can't find any rust anywhere.

Oh! If any one has some rear seats that aren't toast, I'd be interested. It has black carpet and Black leather door trim in it at the moment, so.. heck any colour rear would be cool. The rear base (black / brown) might clean up but the rear back is stuffed up the top as usual. Instead of hunting down a pair of fronts, I may just grab some of those period buckets and be done.

Oh! and if anyone wants another Solex, I have have 2x and a manifold to suit once again.

So yes, body prep, paint, and re-lego back together. This will stay stock, and be a nice weekend bruzer, and maybe tow car if I can get the race car under 500kg

VIV LA NICE CAR!
    21571, JohnW and Renault Rod like this.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    So another 1170, but late I suppose. It's got the edge in the roof that my early one doesn't have, whilst still maintaining the taller vents at the rear. Rectangle front lights and the early bumpers, no indicators in the guards. Came with a Solex, where he replaced for the Weber. Engine is an 842-01, and badges that say it was at one point a GL.

Back back to the first video, you can see the original Sungold on the left, and the what ever the other yellow is on the right. I prefer the Sungold and I was just trying to make sure it was what I thought it was.

So thanks above.

I have a lot of work ahead preparing the body and panels. Well, they need sanding and paint.. I can't find any rust anywhere.
    An early batch 12GL, if the motor is 51xx, it will likely be the original block. At the time it was the most luxurious 12 in the world.

As for rust, just check those pink bits carefully. The space between the inner rear wheel arch and the outer quarter panel is a renowned 12 rust spot, so you'd want it to be fixed property otherwise the rust pops through again later.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Engine appears to be #4723

Ah cheers Simon! I will check those spots once up in the air.

Engine goes well Bowie! A new thread for the "R12 tragic" ?!
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

That's a good title actually :p

Well done great save Bowie!!!
    Its fantastic that someone picked it up. And I'm sure you'll have it back on the road before I do mine.
    I would have loved to have found a Sungold yellow Sedan when I was looking around. Since having grown up as a kid with mum racing us around to soccer and school. And Dad taking us on annual holiday trips. (See my AF avatar).
    The perforated front seats certainly looked different at the time not knowing it was for comfort purposes. It would be "cool" if you could find a pair.
    PM me if you need any parts back

Rod

don

Track yellow is the colour my 16 was have a look at my cars in profile

Oh I don't know Rod...

The plan is to sand and put some high fill in the body next comming weekend, then colour the week after, but we'll see.

And sorry all for the upcoming "what the heck is this" as I dig into Greg's stuff.

Don, thanks for that link, ok. Sungold is a great colour! Can't wait now.

Thread Information