• 1 Post By geedee
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 3 Post By geedee

Thread: r15 differential seals

Fellow Frogger!

Default r15 differential seals

More questions-are the diff seals on a 15 TS the same as 12 and 16's? What are the part numbers 7701455583 and 7700554257 appear on my parts list but I do not have any for 12's or 16's to cross reference. Thanks in anticipation

Advertisement

Hi geedee. I would use the Renault 12 shop and the Renault 16 shop to cross reference the part numbers. On the 12 shop if the part suit's the 15/17 it is noted in the description

Sent from my Moto G Play using aussiefrogs mobile app
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

7700 554 257 refers to the complete ring nut including the seal. Turn over the pages in your catalogue to page 31.40, then look for part number 7700 539 769, this number is then superseded by 7703 087 011 - this is the original equipment type 3-piece seal, so steel collar, felt ring and inner lip seal. This was then superseded (likely not in your parts catalogue unless written in) by part number 7703 087 068, which is a single piece double lip seal with the dimensions of 36 x 54 x 11. These seals fit most 16s, and all of the 12/15/17 range.

I'm thinking quoting the dimensions to a good bearing supplier will yield a couple of fairly inexpensive seals. Note though new seals will not cure all leaks given the ravages of time - and previous owners - on the other interacting components.
    Shoji and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

thanks Simon and John this has clarified the issue for me so we can move on and hopefully fix the leak.
    Shoji likes this.

While you're in there give the out drive a wiggle. If it moves, you won't fix the leak with new seals. How bad is the leak?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

A pool after a short drive hence I have not been on the road for about 3 weeks.

That sounds bad. I would investigate the root cause for the leak. Normally (by that I mean when there is no serious wear/damage to any of the components involved) they leak a little bit all the time, but not enough to worry about.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Possibly part of the cause is that this 15 has been off the road for more than 5 years, in fact probably not driven much in the last 10 years. It has been a long RENOvation process but we will get there.

The felt seals probably dried and shrunk, old oil with gunk probably solidified on the driveshaft journals. I would be tempted to make my own felt rings and see what happens. I heard saddle places have some nice felt I would try.

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Possibly part of the cause is that this 15 has been off the road for more than 5 years, in fact probably not driven much in the last 10 years. It has been a long RENOvation process but we will get there.
    Given the car has had a bit of a snooze, it'll be worth checking the breather valve on top of the right hand gearbox case, just in front of where the end casing bolts onto the side cases. Feel around for a cap, give it a bit of a spin - or unscrew the valve from the case for a clean just in case a wasp or insect has tried to use it as a house or nest.

A blocked breather can cause the case to pressurise exacerbating any leaks. Look for part number 08 24 490 900 in your parts catalogue if the above is too long a description :-)
    COL likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

A couple of things:

Did you fill the gearbox by lifting one side of the car and pumping it in. If so you may have over filled it.

Ive had modest success with generic seals bought from your local bearing shop. Are you absolutely sure you got the right seal. Do both sides leak the same?
    Sunroof and COL like this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Have you been talking to the man in Boonah about this problem? Be a good idea, if you haven't of course....
    COL likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Les bagues d'étanchéités.....Boite de vitesses.

Unfortunately it is in French but hit google translate for internet and it converts most to english. Probably enough to get the gist of what is being said. It includes all gearbox seals in the discussion. Actually all I have ever done is go to local bearing shop and purchase standard seals. I rarely have had any trouble with them although perhaps they don't last as long as the factory recommended ones. But it does depend on conditition of wear on components. I've never had to change any components due to wear but all my 15/17's are low milage.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again for all the responses to the issue with my 15 but it has been up on a hoist and seals are fine, selector dry and it seems the speedo drive was the problem creating pools of oil on the ground on either side of the gearbox that appeared to indicate driveshfts seals being the issue. My reno man may also have overfilled the box to begin with. Will now give it some good runs to show up if there are other issues.
    Shoji, Exfrogger and Sunroof like this.

Well done! Lucky escape. All you need now is an o-ring or two. They do come in different thickness so you may have to try and test, but I am sure you will find the right one. My experience is that cheap o-rings are not sized correctly, i.e. whoever the manufacturer/package maker is uses imperial substitutes they sell as metric sizes and viceversa. I would recommend going to a reputable supplier to get proper sized o-rings.

Thread Information