• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AusTaxi

Thread: H45 Koleos Central Locking

Tadpole

Default H45 Koleos Central Locking

Hi all,

I've referred to this forum a number of times in the past for info but have finally decided to join to learn more and share what I've learned. So, HI !

Advertisement

Firstly, are there any car specific topics / threads ? Like, Koleos - with sub-chapter's. Cleo - with sub-chapter's etc. I couldn't see any for just Koleos etc but might be I'm doing something wrong
    If there are any I'll post what I've learned so far.

But for now, My wife's car is a H45 Koleos 2.5L FWD and the key operated central locking is working intermittently. Has tried fresh remote batteries ( in both remotes ) and nothing has changed.

I seem to get the best results when the remote is close to the left front door handle for some reason....

Main car battery is new ( and the most powerful I could install ) so I know voltage is no issue.

I "assume" this car must have a central locking ECU and/or sensor / pickup for the remote but I can't find any info to guide me.

Does anyone know of this issue and the likely cause / fix ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello AusTaxi,

I don't have have the problem you're describing however under the 'Renault Model Specific Forum' area there is a sub-forum dedicated specifically to the Koleos. You may find your answer there.
    You don't mention whether the issue is with the lock or unlock function of both.
    However my take is that it's possible the buttons in the remotes may have some wear or corrosion in the button contacts.
    I've never bought one but you can buy new remote cases on eBay, Amazon, etc. which look like they have new button contacts.
    It may or may not help but it won't send you broke finding out.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

I can only add that if you remember the car was undoubtably designed for LHD with RHD being an “afterthought” then that would explain why the passenger side works best.

I can’t add any technical detail though. The UK forums can often add extra detail just simply due to population levels and volume of renaults there, means statistically more people may have experienced a particular issue.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I can only add that if you remember the car was undoubtably designed for LHD with RHD being an “afterthought” then that would explain why the passenger side works best.

I can’t add any technical detail though. The UK forums can often add extra detail just simply due to population levels and volume of renaults there, means statistically more people may have experienced a particular issue.
    The UK forums are good for most Renaults but won't help much with a Koleos though.
    The Koleos failed spectacularly in the UK, you can't buy a new one in the UK now.
    The Koleos isn't huge here either but more were sold here than in the UK.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Hello AusTaxi,

I don't have have the problem you're describing however under the 'Renault Model Specific Forum' area there is a sub-forum dedicated specifically to the Koleos. You may find your answer there.
    You don't mention whether the issue is with the lock or unlock function of both.
    However my take is that it's possible the buttons in the remotes may have some wear or corrosion in the button contacts.
    I've never bought one but you can buy new remote cases on eBay, Amazon, etc. which look like they have new button contacts.
    It may or may not help but it won't send you broke finding out.

Cheers
    RTT
    Thanks for the response RTT.

It happens on both lock and unlock.
    I thought about the remote as well but when I got the spare remote / key the exact same thing happened. At the moment it seems to be working fine so fingers crossed......

Also, I'll start trawling through the Koleos specific area an see what I can learn. Thanks. Taxi.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post

Valid point ! Didn't think of that. Cheers.

I can't add a lot of hope to your enquiry. My Koleos is now over 10 years old and I can still lock and unlock the doors from over 100m away with the key card, regardless of the position of the sun, and the state of the world......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I can't add a lot of hope to your enquiry. My Koleos is now over 10 years old and I can still lock and unlock the doors from over 100m away with the key card, regardless of the position of the sun, and the state of the world......
    Out of interest... Have you modified anything electrical on your car at all ?? LED globes, HID lights, anything... ?

Mines the same works from stupid distance away! And I have done a few aftermarket electrical modifications which haven't altered the remote.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by AusTaxi View Post
    Out of interest... Have you modified anything electrical on your car at all ?? LED globes, HID lights, anything... ?
    No, not a sausage! It's an old school 2009 model......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Hmmm. Well it's behaving for now so I might just tell the wife it's a factory installed anti-shopping feature that won't allow her to lock or unlock the doors if heading out to buy any other than groceries.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AusTaxi View Post
    Hi all,

I've referred to this forum a number of times in the past for info but have finally decided to join to learn more and share what I've learned. So, HI !

Firstly, are there any car specific topics / threads ? Like, Koleos - with sub-chapter's. Cleo - with sub-chapter's etc. I couldn't see any for just Koleos etc but might be I'm doing something wrong
    If there are any I'll post what I've learned so far.

But for now, My wife's car is a H45 Koleos 2.5L FWD and the key operated central locking is working intermittently. Has tried fresh remote batteries ( in both remotes ) and nothing has changed.

I seem to get the best results when the remote is close to the left front door handle for some reason....

Main car battery is new ( and the most powerful I could install ) so I know voltage is no issue.

I "assume" this car must have a central locking ECU and/or sensor / pickup for the remote but I can't find any info to guide me.

Does anyone know of this issue and the likely cause / fix ?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Taxi,
    I have a 2009 Privilege 4WD and I rarely use the remote. It generally just stays in my pocket. I lock the car by touching the button on the door handle, and it unlocks when I grasp it. I can't recall if the card has a little red LED, but I've found with a particular aircon in our bird room that I need to clean the red LED on the remote and the pickup on the wall unit to get it to switch on... birds are dusty buggers. That might relate to your issue.

We went through a period when new batteries for our garage door remote were flat, I had to try about 6 batteries before I got a good one (they're the same batteries as in Renault remote cards). It might be worth trying different batteries- it's cheaper to buy a card of 8-12 batteries than singly anyway. I thought the garage door remote was u/s for some time.

The Koleos-specific page has been kicking along so check it out, or even post your issue there. I was in here to find info on Meganes and saw your post.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Thread Information