• 1 Post By bowie

Thread: A310 Hill climb

Default A310 Hill climb

https://youtu.be/ZcBd_Rp02eE

Advertisement

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    COL and 27of85 like this.

1000+ Posts

Don't know why we cannot have such events in Australia. They are so relaxed. No WPHS there.
    COL likes this.

You do not have good racing in Australia, because of CAMS and "stupid laws" about insurance and "public law suits". You see Australian public are not responsible for themselves, they have a "Nanny State".

See Bowie's visit to Zandfort. Prime example.
    GRAHAM WALLIS and COL like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

VIP Sponsor

We do have events like this. I competed in one climbing the Eastern side of the Mt Lofty Ranges a couple of years back. Other hillclimbs in SA and Poatina Hillclimb in Tas. They ran Mt Buller as a Hillclimb too I'm pretty sure.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    They ran Mt Buller as a Hillclimb too I'm pretty sure.
    Yes, Mt Buller Hillclimb ran - according to this piece - from 2004 to 2010, and this suggests that it is on again. There is some (not very exciting) footage from (apparently) 2014 and 2015

Ian.

1000+ Posts

We do have events like this. I competed in one climbing the Eastern side of the Mt Lofty Ranges a couple of years back. Other hillclimbs in SA and Poatina Hillclimb in Tas. They ran Mt Buller as a Hillclimb too I'm pretty sure.
    Yes but without all the restrictions on spectators, track side hay bales, lenghts of orange safety fencing, fire protection, ambulances on stand by etc etc. The French get approval to close a road, put a start finish flagman at each end and I presume some insurance, a timer and away they go.

I wouldn't have thought the current range of Australian motorsport is too bad. Everything from entry level track days, club level motorkhanas and the like through to five-day tarmac rallies which appear to be breeding. Sure you have to pay to play at the top end of the range, but at least there is a modicum of peace of mind involved.

If anything I'm thinking things would have improved over the years, where the gap has been filled between the club level and full competition. Such as the various historic (and not so historic) circuit events such as the Winton and Phillip Island historics, Adelaide Motorsport Festival, HRA events and the like.

I'm not too sure what happened to the Eden Valley Hillclimb that Graham mentioned, but I know that this year's Mt Alma Hillclimb was the last due to poor behaviour from some spectators on the various properties over recent years.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Insurance is not a problem (or not THE problem). Some of the best hillclimb events are in Switzerland (and Austria, Germany, etc, though none of these are as mad about insurance as the swiss), an insurance mad country. Somehow they managed to make it work though. Some of the best cars too.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoVc4wz9gk

Or search youtube for "bergrennen switzerland"
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I wouldn't have thought the current range of Australian motorsport is too bad. Everything from entry level track days, club level motorkhanas and the like through to five-day tarmac rallies – which appear to be breeding. Sure you have to pay to play at the top end of the range, but at least there is a modicum of peace of mind involved.

If anything I'm thinking things would have improved over the years, where the gap has been filled between the club level and full competition. Such as the various historic (and not so historic) circuit events such as the Winton and Phillip Island historics, Adelaide Motorsport Festival, HRA events and the like.

I'm not too sure what happened to the Eden Valley Hillclimb that Graham mentioned, but I know that this year's Mt Alma Hillclimb was the last due to poor behaviour from some spectators on the various properties over recent years.
    Yes, people need to get out there and participate before we are all driving electric cars. Can't see any spectator interest in that although the manufacturers are all for it, as they would be, given the amount of cars they will sell.
    I'm doing a two day event at Burra next weekend, over 400km of gravel competition, everything from a stage though the old mine at Burra to stages on the wind farm roads, to proper outback tracks.
    CEyssens and Sunroof like this.

1000+ Posts

Yes, people need to get out there and participate before we are all driving electric cars. Can't see any spectator interest in that although the manufacturers are all for it, as they would be, given the amount of cars they will sell.
    I'm doing a two day event at Burra next weekend, over 400km of gravel competition, everything from a stage though the old mine at Burra to stages on the wind farm roads, to proper outback tracks.
    What are the requirements Graham? Helmets, roll cages, 5 point harness, fire proof suits, etc etc

VIP Sponsor

Yes, although there is an Intro event along part of the route where a road car will suffice. Only one entry in that, people need to enter rather than complain.
    David Cavanagh likes this.

That A310 sounds absolutely fantastic!!!
    Not many good hillclimb circuits here in Perth....we just don't have the Euro topography....the best was at Meelup down in the Margaret River area but it hasn't run for quite a few years....it was a pretty fast course (apparently fastest in Aust at the time)......maybe that's why CAMS clamped down on it.
    On a similar note, we recently competed in the Targa South West tarmac rally in my Delta Integrale....that was fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21571 and Shoji like this.
    1969 Alpine A110

You should start one
    21571 likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

And when you do start one I'm bringing this.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1104852

Oh man! I love these bastard open wheelers. Yes! bring it!

Oh wait i See what you did. I need to create a hill climb in VIC, that would be difficult.

Oh! we had a bunch of Victorians at work this weekend, there was an MG and British invitation category, I have never seen so many Rob Roy T-shirts in one place
    21571 likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

What's more difficult, starting a hill climb in Victoria, or convincing the Ministry of Finance that spending $70k+ on a race car value for money?

VIP Sponsor

Plenty of Hillclimbs in Vic already

Thread Information