How to fit inside and outside rubbers to R10 Front Door?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R8 Dream

Thread: How to fit inside and outside rubbers to R10 Front Door?

Icon8 How to fit inside and outside rubbers to R10 Front Door?

I have my round headlight R10 in pieces and have new rubbers that fit on the door frame and wipe the inside and outside of front door glass as it is wound up and down but cannot remember what held them in place!!

The inside is a metal backed felt with now apparent clips whist the outside is a rubber moulding (enclosing metal?) with some slots in the lower part.

Advertisement

Can anyone help me with advice as to what held them in place please?
    Thanks Geoff
    Geoff

I would have to look at a parts manual, but I believe the inner felt was Pop-riveted on (but I could be wrong here); the outside rubber has clips that fit into the slots from memory.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

I don't have a parts manual but I can remember that you are right about the outside one KB however the inner felt one has a number of clips that press into holes in the door frame. The inner clips are different to the outer ones.

I am contemplating gluing them into place on my Floride doors.

Fellow Frogger!

The outer strips are held in place by small metal tabs on the inner door frame , these align with the slots in the rubber. The inner felt seals are best glued into position, they can't be pop riveted because of the acute angle needed.

On a Renault 10, the outer window scraper is held in place by five clips which clip into the door itself. The clips fit into the holes on the door, then the scraper is pushed into place - obviously with the glass out of the way. On an original scraper, the clips snap into place on the scraper. There appear to be Heinz 57 varieties of aftermarket R8/10 scraper, I found all on them unsuitable as the rubber itself was too soft, and also they had been incorrectly formed so as not to suit the clips. I ended up modifying HQ-HZ Holden outer window scrapers to suit the original Renault clips.

The original interior side tufted anti-rattle piece has built in clips which clip into the door itself, again without the glass in place - these rarely seem in poor unusable condition. For the bailey channel I used Renault 12 channels. They don't have a steel spine which as aftermarket, I found didn't contour well when used in a previous application.

See message #2 in the link below for the conversion methodology of the HQ-HZ scapers....

Wanted: Renault 10 Rear View Mirror

And KB was half correct as well, the "scraper" for the rear sliding window can be pop-riveted into place on the door :-)
    Last edited by Simon; 17th May 2019 at 09:44 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    On a Renault 10, the outer window scraper is held in place by five clips which clip into the door itself. The clips fit into the holes on the door, then the scraper is pushed into place - obviously with the glass out of the way. On an original scraper, the clips snap into place on the scraper. There appear to be Heinz 57 varieties of aftermarket R8/10 scraper, I found all on them unsuitable as the rubber itself was too soft, and also they had been incorrectly formed so as not to suit the clips. I ended up modifying HQ-HZ Holden outer window scrapers to suit the original Renault clips.

The original interior side tufted anti-rattle piece has built in clips which clip into the door itself, again without the glass in place - these rarely seem in poor unusable condition. For the bailey channel I used Renault 12 channels. They don't have a steel spine which as aftermarket, I found didn't contour well when used in a previous application.

See message #2 in the link below for the conversion methodology of the HQ-HZ scapers....

www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/parts-sale-wanted/8078-wanted-renault-10-rear-view-mirror.html

And KB was half correct as well, the "scraper" for the rear sliding window can be pop-riveted into place on the door :-)
    Thanks Simon. do you know of a supplier of the clips or a photo of them? -
    Geoff
    Geoff

I used this 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. It's fantastic for the outer strip (front doors) and also to glue the rubber weather seals around all 4 doors. Truly it's the right stuff. But follow instructions, and when fitted, make sure glass is in door first, stick the outer strip this way and use the clips for the inner strip. I purchased new clips which press on the inner felt strip from Scotts Old Rubber. It's used on other English cars also.
    IMG_1558150162.552344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Note what I mean with front glass in, it should be sitting in the bottom of the door and NOT connected the the winding mechanism. Once the glue is set (24hrs) then connect the glass to the mechanism and it will slide up and down cleanly between the seals and bailey channel

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Bustamif likes this.

Hi again after several hours searching with a vague idea of what the clips might be I found them in my boxes - not the right ones of course!
    BUT I found 21 for the outer rubbers when I only need 10 - don't know where the extra ones came from - more surplus bits to off load later!
    Thanks all
    Geoff

Thread Information