looking to find R8/10 frame for Manic body transplant
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dacia4x4

Thread: looking to find R8/10 frame for Manic body transplant

Default looking to find R8/10 frame for Manic body transplant

I have a few Manic owners looking for frames for their Manic projects ! I have located a couple Dauphine bodies in the southern states so I was wondering how close the frames are compared to the R8/R10 ?? or if there is any other possible frames that may work ?

Manic GT

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

what happened to the guy from georgetown onterio who came across some r8 gordini stuff looking for an engine for his dauphine resto ,back in 2014 ,eyjafadylan ,he could still have a body lying around ,pugs

Fellow Frogger!

heading over that way in couple of weeks, but don't, t think I can fit vivids r10 body shell in my suit case..jim
    jaahn and vivid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    what happened to the guy from georgetown onterio who came across some r8 gordini stuff looking for an engine for his dauphine resto ,back in 2014 ,eyjafadylan ,he could still have a body lying around ,pugs

He sold off all his parts and scraped the R8 stuff !

Manic gt

I am still interested in knowing if the Dauphine frame rails are the same the R8/10 . I have a couple of other Manic builders looking to replace their rusted/ rotten platforms .

Manic gt

Hi Manic,
    I think the Dauphine is a bit shorter than the R8/10, and the Dauphine has the kingpin front suspension cross member.

So the best is look for R8/10.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Ray I read about the front suspension from the R8/10 have been. welded into the Daup projects and also the rear 330 type trans axle assembly . Those are usually the salvageable parts from the Manic frames it is usually the side rails and floor pans that rust away so that is really what I am enquiring about . My Manic 108 had the R8 platform originally and compared to the R10 it is just slightly shorter . The pictures of the under side of the Dauphine the frame rails and floor pans look very similar to the R8/10 underside except for the trailing rear side arms to the rear wheels .

QUOTE=geckoeng;1614139]Hi Manic,
    I think the Dauphine is a bit shorter than the R8/10, and the Dauphine has the kingpin front suspension cross member.

So the best is look for R8/10.

Ray[/QUOTE]

I thought from windscreen to windscreen - 8's and 10's are the same. It is the extra bit front and rear in the boot and engine bay which makes them different.

Dauphine and R8 floor pans are different, but perhaps similar enough to be modified where the suspension mounts as this was a popular mod here in Oz as mentioned.

Quite a few people here have made an R10 into an R8 by "cut and shut" from one bodyshell to the other.
    KB

Ask Frans if he can link to where Ross built his yellow Dauphine proto - I'm sure there was a build thread on here previously. Just can't recall who authored it, but hopefully Frans will.
    KB

#28 The Gecko Dauphine !!!

Front crossmember (R8/10) can be installed.

ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

i recall that the U.S.A got dauphines with disk brakes ,i dont know if that included ball joint suspension ,PUGS

Thanks for all the input so far I was wondering if someone had a old Renault manual that would have all the floor pan measurements in it .
    I have one for the R8/10 but nothing to compare it to . so if I could get a hold of that diagram it should be enough to tell me if I can use it as a alternative platform . R8 and R10 platforms are hard to come by here but I do have a lead on a couple of dauphine units in the southern states and it appears more of them have probably been shipped this way than the R8's and 10's .

thanks again
    Manic gt

1000+ Posts

The R8/R10 rear cross-member bolts straight in on the Dauphine longitudinal chassis members.

At the front, the R8/R10 cross-member looks identical but is a fraction wider. Three solutions to inserting an R8/R10 crossmember in a Dauphine are:

first, cut and shut the cross-member to reduce width;
    second, use a press to distort the longitudinal frame out laterally by just enough to squeeze the wider cross-member in; &
    third, notch the longitudinal frame members to receive the cross-member & then add a reinforcement patch on the outside to restore strength.

I suggest the third option is best in terms of strength & preservation of geometry. Obviously each option requires cutting out the cross members & welding the new one in & demands a sound or repairable R8/R10 crossmember.

My R8 is going to my mechanic tomorrow & he has a Dauphine. I should be able to give you wheelbase measurements of each (wheel-centre front to wheel-centre rear).

The last of the Dauphine line were indeed disc braked & my understanding is that they used an R8 floor pan (complete with the crossmember to receive the front of the semi-trailing toe-control arms but, owing to the Dauphine fuel tank position, without the arms). One of those would be ideal but I am unsure if they made it to North America.

cheers! Peter

The rear part of the "top-hat" chassis rail is predominantly the same part number in the Dauphine/8/10, the front half of the "top-hat" rail is different with the anti-roll bar mount - likely interchangeable. The outer "zig-zag" pattern closure panel for the chassis rail is the same in the Dauphine/8/10. The front crossmember obviously varies. There is even a "special spare part" front crossmember with both Dauphine and 8/10 wishbone pivots built in.

I'm too inept to be bothered messing around with making a ridiculously small pic attach here any more, but send through an email and I'll send through the Dauphine floor checking dimensions from the MR93 Dauphine manual.

Have a think about making a bit commitment buying an Aussie 8/10 just for the floorpan. In bad cases, the chassis rails here rust from the inside out. What looks good on the outside with a nice coating of factory bitumen gets exposed when blasted.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

thanks Simon pm sent .

Manic gt

Thread Information