• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Normal running temperature

Tadpole

Default Normal running temperature

Renault Megane 3, GT Line, TCE 130 is my car.
    I bought this car, 2nd hand. I've always noticed that the running engine temperature stabilises on the third graduation on the dashboard.
    Is this normal or should it be on the 2nd graduation instead?

Advertisement

The temperature shown on the average motor vehicle gauge is only an approximation. The thermostatic controls in the cooling system are extremely accurate. If the indicated temperature always stabilises at the same mark, that is to be expected. A good indicator of the health of your cooling system is the remote coolant reservoir bottle, as any malfunction in the coolant system will show up immediately in a change of coolant level in the bottle. No change = No problems!
    driven likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

If it were me, for peace of mind, I'd like to relate the gauge position to the position in the an "average" identical vehicle.

I've had the experience (in a non French vehicle) of a temperature gauge that was utterly consistent in it's running position. However it ran a touch higher than the vehicle manufacturers definition of normal.

I quizzed the driver of an identical vehicle when we crossed paths in a car park.

And his vehicle ran at a lower gauge position.

To cut a long story short after a thorough check out, I discovered 50% of the radiator tubes were completely blocked.

So in my opinion I'd pursue the path you are following and ask owners of identical vehicles to advise where their gauges run.

I mean no insult to Kim, his post may be completely valid. It the blocked radiator hadn't happened to me, I may give similar advice.

However a cooling system fault can be catastrophic. For me, I'd err on the side of caution

1000+ Posts

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If it were me, for peace of mind, I'd like to relate the gauge position to the position in the an "average" identical vehicle.

I've had the experience (in a non French vehicle) of a temperature gauge that was utterly consistent in it's running position. However it ran a touch higher than the vehicle manufacturers definition of normal.

I quizzed the driver of an identical vehicle when we crossed paths in a car park.

And his vehicle ran at a lower gauge position.

To cut a long story short after a thorough check out, I discovered 50% of the radiator tubes were completely blocked.

So in my opinion I'd pursue the path you are following and ask owners of identical vehicles to advise where their gauges run.

I mean no insult to Kim, his post may be completely valid. It the blocked radiator hadn't happened to me, I may give similar advice.

However a cooling system fault can be catastrophic. For me, I'd err on the side of caution
    Dear Rob. My Koleos is due for a complete coolant change after ten years. The fluid level in the expansion bottle has gone down about 5 mm in that time, without needing to be topped up during regular Renault Dealer service. I have driven many cars back in the day when cooling systems were likely to explode due to burst hoses, failed thermostats, blown head gaskets or the block filling up with rust, and have experienced the results of all those things. The coolant chemical composition supplied by Renault is specific to their engines and takes account of all the dissimilar metals it has to contend with over the recommended ten years of use. I know R10's that have gone thirty years without any sign of corrosion or blocked radiators resulting from corrosion due specifically to the quality and well engineered Renault coolant. If your coolant has not changed colour, has not dropped below a safe level and your car continues to operate normally, you will easily get your ten years out of your first radiator fill. Many problems are caused by operators who do not understand the process of bleeding the system after a refill. A blocked radiator is hardly ever found in a Renault that I'm aware of, unless the cooling system does not use the recommended coolant.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

COL

My Laguna ii runs at the bottom 1/3 graduation on the temp gauge.

If I was worried about what the temp was in my engine I would do something scientific like hook up an OBDii analyser and look at the live data (eg engine temp)

Another check that you can do without any test gear is when you are ascending a steep hill you will notice that the temp gauge will rise, as the road levels out on the flat the gauge will eventually go back to where it was before you went up the hill. You will also notice that when you descend a hill the temp gauge will fall a little.
    jaahn likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post

Thank you Stuey,
    However, my dashboard is not like shown in the manual of your reply.

Please find a picture of my dashboard @

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vyJ...w?usp=drivesdk

Regards,
    Avi

Tadpole

Guys,
    I also have a CitroŽn XSara 2004. The temperature was stabilising on 1 graduation after the normal temperature position. And this was because the 1st speed of the twin speed radiator cooling fan was not working.
    I was thinking it could be the same problem.
    Referring to other similar cars around is not a good idea either, because people just don't know their cars as they should do. I believe, this forum is the perfect place to discuss technical issues.

Do we have a twin speed cooling fan on this Megan model?

Tadpole

Hi,
    For a better understanding of the above, please refer to the following picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b1F...w?usp=drivesdk

I bought a Peugeot 206 last year. I’m used to my cars running at around 80-85C. Peugeot’s seem to run hotter than Renaults I’m finding. Colliers told me one of the more current pug models run at 90C without issue and that’s the operating temp recommended.

My 1.4 Renault 10 (with a VDO electronic sensor and gauge) used to run at 80C religiously once warmed up regardless of ambient temp.

I’ve also seen two identical relatively new cars run at different spots on these “indicative gauges”

I don’t think you’ll get a definitive answer as to whether yours should run at position 2 or position 3. As long as your system is in good condition; and your coolant level consistent and condition Ok, you may have just found your “normal”
    COL likes this.
    KB

Thread Information