a friends Megane (2006 auto) woes.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Melc
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By 63-1092

Thread: a friends Megane (2006 auto) woes.

Default a friends Megane (2006 auto) woes.

A fellow frogger down my way has had his 2006 Megane stop on him as he was stopping at an intersection.

His description.

"Car just stopped, as I was stopping. It came up with check injection and started to smoke. The drive belt snapped at the same time.

I took it to my mums mechanic.
    They are thinking that around the timing has broke, but not the timing belt.
    They said something has happened with the harmonic balancer, and a tooth might have broke (or something like that). "

I've extrapolated that something has failed and the smoke was the ancillary belt melting, burning and breaking.

He mentioned the timing belt was done 70,000kms ago, and that there were no noises of banging or clanging when the engine stopped.

I might try and find time to go have a look myself, but I figured if I take out the plugs and try and turn it over it should tell us if its off a tooth?

How likely is that? I guess it would need a bit of force to break the belt which could make the timing slip.

How easy is it to get to the timing cover to inspect the belt and pulleys?

He only just bought the car privately and is devastated to sell it as a spares car.
    I've suggested he don't sell it off for $1000 just get and get a second opinion first.

I'd buy it and drive it but I've already committed to getting a couple of RX4s on the road, and I think the better result would be for him to have it repaired if there is no damage done.

Cheers,

David.

Advertisement
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

I had an accessory belt break and it got caught in the camshaft pulley and it strained the skyway, making the timing go out by half a degree. This came up with the check injection code also but said the cam timing was off when hooked up to the obd, and it still ran. Hope that helps
    vivid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melc View Post
    I had an accessory belt break and it got caught in the camshaft pulley and it strained the skyway, making the timing go out by half a degree. This came up with the check injection code also but said the cam timing was off when hooked up to the obd, and it still ran. Hope that helps
    Helps a lot thanks!
    I realise more investigation is required but interested in others thoughts.

I'd be doing a full belt change at this point if it were me and I was keeping the car.
    I guess that's the bit he doesn't know.

obd came up with no errors, but this is not unusual on the non professional types?
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    A fellow frogger down my way has had his 2006 Megane stop on him as he was stopping at an intersection.

His description.

"Car just stopped, as I was stopping. It came up with check injection and started to smoke. The drive belt snapped at the same time.

I took it to my mums mechanic.
    They are thinking that around the timing has broke, but not the timing belt.
    They said something has happened with the harmonic balancer, and a tooth might have broke (or something like that). "

I've extrapolated that something has failed and the smoke was the ancillary belt melting, burning and breaking.

He mentioned the timing belt was done 70,000kms ago, and that there were no noises of banging or clanging when the engine stopped.

I might try and find time to go have a look myself, but I figured if I take out the plugs and try and turn it over it should tell us if its off a tooth?

How likely is that? I guess it would need a bit of force to break the belt which could make the timing slip.

How easy is it to get to the timing cover to inspect the belt and pulleys?

He only just bought the car privately and is devastated to sell it as a spares car.
    I've suggested he don't sell it off for $1000 just get and get a second opinion first.

I'd buy it and drive it but I've already committed to getting a couple of RX4s on the road, and I think the better result would be for him to have it repaired if there is no damage done.

Cheers,

David.
    A way forward here could be:

#1 Inspect the drive/timing belts and pulleys for damage

#2 Remove the plugs and turn the engine over by hand to see if there is any resistance or valves coming into contact with pistons.

#3 Put each piston on TDC and give the engine a leak down test or a compression test to access the internal condition of the engine.
    vivid likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

70,000km on a timing belt on these motors is a bit long.
    Presume it's an F4R or K4M.
    Recommended change at 4 years or 40,000km.
    But the harmonic balancers do fail occasionally and tensioner pulleys have been known to sieze.
    Sunroof likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Take the cam caps off and rotate the engine by hand, no need for tdc yet, if the notches in the cams don’t line up horizontal your timing will be out on a F4R, never played with a K4M so not sure about them.
    vivid likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

My 2 cents worth:

If the cam timing stopped the engine, there is no reason why the accessory belt should break.

If something driven by the accessory belt seized, then the accessory belt may load the engine enough to stall it, make smoke and break the belt. I would firstly be checking that the accessory belt idler/s, the air cond compressor, the alternator or the power steering pump (if fitted) are not seized.
    Also as said above, the harmonic balancer has been known to separate, but unless it came right off and jammed against the chassis or something, I don't see that it would break the accessory belt.

It sounds like you may know the set-up on these engines, but whatever happens, don't let anyone loosen off the harmonic balancer bolt until the aligning tools are in place. The balancer does not have a locating key. There are multiple threads on the setup.

Is it a petrol or a diesel?

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

What they often do is, the harmonic balancer fails and sends bits rubber into the timing belt. Sometimes it changed the timing and bends valves sometimes it doesn't. The timing belt is almost due anyway (80km or 4 years) so remove all the timing covers check the timing is still right. You need a cam locking tool. If it's right put new belt kit, water pump and harmonic balancer and it should go again. The procedure to lock the crank and cams up is pretty complicated. You need to lock the crank before removing the harmonic balancer bolt. Googling timing belt replacement should show you the steps

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Thread Information