• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: ABS trouble on 2016 Kangoo Maxi

Tadpole

Default ABS trouble on 2016 Kangoo Maxi

An Renault Service nightmare !
    In Feb 2018 the ABS system broke down ( this includes ESC, TC, Hill Holder, Soft ground mode and ECO gear shift indicator ).. Fault Code : Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit.
    The sensor was found faulty , demaged by stone or debris.
    In the following 12 months the speedsensor was repeatedly replaced then the ABS module, then all the relevant ABS looms ( on advice of the techn. department of Renault Australia in Melbourne )...
    But the fault reading remained the same.
    Spare parts were repeatedly ordered from France, but none on Express order. Again and again I had to wait 4 to 5 weeks for follow up work.... ( On a Car Road Safety Issue !! : criticized then by Fair Trading. )
    The fault was a bit of a tricky one. With that new module installed it was the following:
    All functions would work for a while, but on longer drives one would notice a strange crunching type noise from the ABS modulator when the foot was just touching the brakes... With more brake action that got worse and eventually the System would shut down and the ABS/ESC Alarm lights come on. Braking after that would be perfectly allright ( non of those noises any more) . When the car was switched off for some time ( 2 hours or more ), the System would reset itself after some 500 m of driving. But would fail soon again.
    Renault neclected my info about that strange noise and the need for an longer testdrive.
    Renault Melbourne had already adviced for the ABS Looms to be replaced.... It took long and did nothing.
    Fair Trading got involved, Rectification Order issued, a Technician from Melbourne came up.... Now finally they hooked up a diagnostic tool and did a long test drive, until they noticed that the speed reading from the left rear WSS dropped slightly off , and they noticed then that ABS module action noise.
    What it all came down to..? THE GAP between Sensor and magnetic pole ring !! Sounds like a joke, fixed in a few minutes... It is assumed that the stone originally damaging the sensor did also dislocate the sensor holder slightly..
    For Spare parts and Service and Customer Care Renault gets half a star out of 5 from me...
    Otherwise, the car is not to bad... consumption 5.6 L ( 50 % AC, about 300 kg in my camper modification).
    Engine Performance is good, Handling very good, Interiour good enough , lots of storage..and its looks different and has the safety features, but furtunately not the ones some drivers seem to need these days in order not to hit others.

Advertisement

Happy Motoring
    Guenther
    Last edited by guenther; 8th May 2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: bad wording

Default ABS trouble on 2016 Kangoo Maxi

Another mechanic/dealer loading up the parts cannon no wonder all these cars get a bad name canít these guys use a scope it would have pick this up in the workshop the wave signal would have been low obvious.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    jaahn likes this.

Tadpole

This is Guenther, in regards to my Thread " ABS trouble "
    Yes, a number of things are odd here.
    1) in a warranty case ...sometimes the service centre opens a tech line with the technicians from Renault Australia ( Melbourne ) . Then they get adviced by them, and they get paid only for what they are being told to do , as next trouble shooting step.
    In my case , the mechanic and I spoke about a test drive with a codriver watching the scope. .
    But he never did it , Melbourne thought the next step has to be the loom replacement. ...
    2) if one Renault Service centre orderes a part in France, this order can not be tranferred to an other Renault Service Centre... ( I moved back from the High Country to the Sydney Region ). Each Service Centre works fully independent. The Technician can not even look in to the technical conversation of the tech file, the other mechanic ( other Service Centre ) has opened with Melbourne.

For techn. Info
    Its the 2 wire activ Hall Effect WSS,
    ( Sensor and magnetic Pole Ring)
    because for Hill Holder to work ,it needs a system which reads from 0 on , also recognized reverse .

The diagnostic tools ,as I understanf ,do not show the square wave any more, but the speed reading.

One hint/recommendation:
    If you drive a 2016 Kangoo..
    The WSS's on the Rear Wheels are badly protected....have a look yourself.
    I have fitted Mudflaps behid the front wheels and deflectors in front of the rear wheels. Also I covered the gaps/openings in the " pole ring housing"

And yes , I agree... bad customer care can demage the name of on otherwise good brand....
    Interesting is.... Melbourne or the Service Centres , they dont seem to care much.

Guenther

Thread Information