• 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 2 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By 63-1092
  • 2 Post By vivid

Thread: 4CV (Gutted)

Default 4CV (Gutted)

As some of you may know I have had a bit of vandalism happen on my Renault collection.

I had been searching for hatch and windscreen glass for my R16 but it just gets worse.

I live in TAS and the cars are stored on a property north of Melbourne and without my knowledge the property had become vacant for a couple of months.

A car size hole was cut in the fence, and a brick wall was demolished, and my R10 was dragged into the adjoining park next door, windscreens and headlights, smashed etc etc.
    When I arrived at the property the car was still still sitting at the property next door.
    Parts have been ratted from 16 engines, and boxes of packed things strewn everywhere.

Now the worst of it is some bastard pinched the bonnet and boot lid of the 4CV. So upset, I have been unable to make this post for a couple of weeks.

What concerns me a bit is that its an enthusiast who knows what they are looking for..
    I hope it's just opportunists and not fellow members / enthusiasts.

So if anyone see's a 4CV boot and bonnet being sold, please let me know.

I recently sold my spares 4CV to Neville Sleigh who sold his 4CV collection recently in a job lot (didn't have the room or money to buy x4 4CVs and Neville would not sell the car back to me as originally agreed) so I am looking for the new owner of these, in an attempt to buy the spares car back.

If anyone has any leads or knows of the new owner, could you please let me know.

I am still coming to terms with this, and I was planning on leaving the petina / rust as is.. but it looks like its fate may now change.

Advertisement

I now have someone living on the property again and have a shipping container I've been packing to secure what I do have, I hope to make a trip back soon and have all my Renaults secure in containers.

Here's a picture of my sweet little car before it was defaced.

IMG_00001.jpg

Thanks,

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 6th May 2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

1000+ Posts

Thats a shame. I guess there is no chance of finding the culprits. Add a cheap video system in case they return for more.
    vivid likes this.

1000+ Posts

Appalled to hear this - as you say, the random vandalism is bad enough, but to think that a fellow Renault lover may have stolen parts is just gut-wrenching.

The only similar issue I have had was the smashing of all glass and denting of panels on an Austin A90 that I had left stored on a property we were renting out in Canberra. The tenant's own children were responsible, but we had so much other trouble with those tenants that compensation for the damage to the car (which was in any case only intended as a parts car) was not pursued.

We also left another (then) registered A90 with a friend, who used to drive it to work. Some ratfink stole the headlight trims (which I had gone to some trouble to acquire from a distant wrecker)! Grrr!

Hope that your search for a suitable parts donor is successful.

Cheers

Alec
    vivid likes this.

The blood boils
    Sorry to hear this David
    cheers,

John

I can provide front and rear lids for the 4CV. Not perfect but quite reasonable. No rush as they have been hanging up for years and I'm not about to chuck them away.

You might be able to find some closer than Perth though. I'll send a message around the 4CV Register for you.

Nasty thing to happen.
    vivid likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroėn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    The blood boils
    Sorry to hear this David
    Sypathy appreciated guys.

I was lucky the 4CV hadn't been dragged out. I don't think the 10 was their target, but it was in the way.
    It also had been ratted (10S dash), but luckily I'd already ratted most of the exterior myself.

The 4CV had moved and was sitting in a weird position, so I suspect they were interrupted or it was just too hard to steal.

2019-05-05 (1).jpg

2019-05-05.jpg

I feel like we need a "commiserations" button to express sympathy. Clicking 'like' doesn't seem right.
    vivid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I can provide front and rear lids for the 4CV. Not perfect but quite reasonable. No rush as they have been hanging up for years and I'm not about to chuck them away.

You might be able to find some closer than Perth though. I'll send a message around the 4CV Register for you.

Nasty thing to happen.
    Thanks so much John,
    WA is distant, but so is the 1950s

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    I feel like we need a "commiserations" button to express sympathy. Clicking 'like' doesn't seem right.
    I can like yours.
    I was in a bit of a daze when I arrived and didn't file a police report.

The owner still wants me to as they destroyed their property too, but I see little point wasting their time.
    I might consider it when I am back in Melbourne next (soonish)

the R10 is still sitting there unfortunately, the current resident has told me he can move it Tuesday, I've thrown him $50 to move it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    Sypathy appreciated guys.

I was lucky the 4CV hadn't been dragged out. I don't think the 10 was their target, but it was in the way.
    It also had been ratted (10S dash), but luckily I'd already ratted most of the exterior myself.

The 4CV had moved and was sitting in a weird position, so I suspect they were interrupted or it was just too hard to steal.

2019-05-05 (1).jpg

2019-05-05.jpg
    wow, Irfan view wen't all artistic on these images compressing them.

further to the story, looks like the council have considered the car abandoned and used it to help block the gate and stop commodores getting in and doing circle work / running a muck.