Jimmy's RH Drive Alpine A110
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frans

Thread: Jimmy's RH Drive Alpine A110

Default Jimmy's RH Drive Alpine A110

Hi All,

This is just a bit of history straight from the Dieppe's mouth about the RH Drive A110 belonging to Jimmy in ZA. It comes from the Association des Anciens d’AlpineThat is the Association of Former Alpine Employees

Hope it's big enough for reading.

Advertisement

Regards, Frans.
    geckoeng likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans, I've just read (about an hour ago) an article about your R8G AND JET6, on KiwiGARAGE, and there is mention of an A110 in your shed!

Is this true?

Henry
    Last edited by rubyalpine; 4th May 2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention KiwiGARAGE
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

COL

I think there were 2 right hand drive A110's manufactured and sent to South Africa.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hi,

Henry, no but I am slowly busy with a 1100 G engine that will go into an A110. The question he asked me was "in my dream garage" so not real garage.

Col, it could have been a local mod, but this story from France proves different with only one body number and one chassis number. I know that there were supposed to be 3 x R12 RH drive Gordinis sent to take part in the Kenia rally and that they ended up in ZA but I haven't seen any of them in my travels. Whether it's true, I can't tell.

Frans.

Just a couple more snippets on the car . . .

We are only aware of one RHD Alpine in SA at the moment . . . the other example is a LHD 1600S

Although originally white , it has been restored in French Racing Blue as you will have seen from the pictures that Frans posted in his "Nice Collection" feature . .

Although it originally was shipped with an 1108cc motor , the motor and gearbox was missing when Jimmy got it , but it was decided to keep it with R8G internals , so it currently sports a rally spec 1296cc 812 engine with a 353 5 speed box

I have sat in it but sadly no chance of a test drive , as I am simply too tall to fit in it properly . . . . maybe a good thing as it put paid to any aspirations to lust after a A110

It runs very nicely , with the only snag it does tend to run slightly hot in SA conditions , but this has been addressed by fitting one of JYL's 8 blade Nylon fans . . .

But a beautiful car . . . . .
    Been looking for 40+ years and still can't seem to find those elusive "Round Tuits"

1968 R1135 1420cc
    1969 R1135 1296cc
    1969 R1135 1565cc
    1970 R1135 1340cc ( my first car bought in 1972 which started the 'Le Petite Bleu' addiction )

The LHD A110 has quite a travel history. And time fades the memories a bit as to the actual happenings.

I believe !!! The car was a test and quick service vehicle for the rally team. It was bought by one of the team, for his son, who took it with him to work for the oil companies in the Cabinda Enclave of Angola. The car was driven very hard and because of it poor condition was put aside in a parking area. A Rhodesian contractor, Spiro Germanis, working there at the time negotiated buying the car, and repaired it to at least travel. He drove it back to Salisbury (Harare) the 3500km (about 1973). The body and front suspension had extensive repairs done by Reg Murray, whom I helped with the work. The car came from Cabinda with the 172hp rally motor, which was in poor condition. A standard 16TS motor was found for it and replaced the rally motor. On completion we were invited to the Donnybrook track for a test session. I had 4 laps as a passenger and 2 laps as the driver.

I saw the car on the road and at the track for a few years, until we immigrated to South Africa (1978). About 3 years after arriving in ZA I heard the A110 had been stripped completely and removed from the now Zimbabwe. And was stored in a home garage in Cape Town. I tried to contact the still owner Spiro, but had no results.

In 1993 when we were packing to leave ZA for Australia, I heard that the A110 had been bought from Spiro, and that Brian Evans (ex-Rhodie) was rebuilding it, or had a hand in the rebuilding process. And this is the car I believe was sold at auction beginning of last year. Not sure of the new owner.

There was also talk of a replica having been built, is there any information on this car ??

Spiro A - Motor.jpgSpiro A- Dash.jpgSpiro Alpine.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Ray,

The memories of yesteryear! I THINK the car you are talking about is the LH drive car as in the pictures. I also think that Brian owned it as well at one time or another. This car was bought by a Journalist or family of a journalist. I saw it racing at Zwartkop in the Street Legal Classics in about 2005/7. Not sure what they called it. It still has the 807 motor in. The RH drive car is completely different and the second A110 owned by Brian. As in the story Brian wanted to restore the RH drive one but I think his ill health prevented him from doing it. Jimmy bought the car as seen in the photos on the trailor.

Frans.

Thank you Frans,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Tadpole

there is a second A110 in SOUTH AFRICA RHD built from R8 parts and shell copied from my A110 by Brian Evans who wanted to build a racing car.The owner builder of the copied car is Kobie van Heerden who lives in the Malelaan ares close to the Kruger National Park.
    apparently the car looks very good and goes well.His son lives just outside of Paris France and during visits to him he did research and bought the parts he needed to make the job easier.I only saw pictures he showed me during a visit to my workshop.From the photos the car came very nicely and I know him to have good hands ala Frans Cronje.he surfs aussie frogs from time to time and it will be nice to see pictures. He is about 500kms from me so a visit is a bit far.

Tadpole

Yes Ray you have the correct story and car. it was in my workshop about 5 months ago.the owner an auctioneer was going to put it on auction again the next day,the gearbox was stuck in gear and he wanted it fixed overnight which you know is a tall order. the car now belongs to a collector in Johannesburg area not sure if it is going but bought mainly for display at about A$150.000. or RAND 1.5 Million.

Hi Jimmy,
    Thank you for adding the bits to the story. Please try and get the owner of the the "kit car" to do a story for Aussie Frogs, I know the readers will be enthusiastic.

As for $150K and R1.5Mil that is a huge figure for a show car. Surely there are people in ZA who are capable of making a body and chassis for A110s. The kit cars are available in Mexico.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Tadpole

hi Ray the R1.5 was the going hammer price of the of the original I have no idea what the kit car cost.
    I shall get in touch with Kobie for an article.
    jimmy

Thread Information