Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 21571
  • 3 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By R8RX
  • 1 Post By Frans

Thread: Oil and oil cooler 807 engine

Default Oil and oil cooler 807 engine

I am considering mounting an oil cooler on my engine. But when is it really nesecessary to mount an oil cooler? Only going to race 5-10 minuts at a time. And what size is recommended?

What kind of oil viscosity is recommended for a medium tuned 807 engine?

Advertisement

Oil coolers were fitted to R17Gs and the A310-4s. I've refitted one to my A310. Used a 19 row off eBay.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Shoji likes this.

Use an oil thermostat so you don't 'over cool' the oil, the optimum temperature is about 100C. Use a fully synthetic oil and one that covers the mineral oil range required for the engine.
    Hope this helps.
    Brendan.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by R8RX View Post
    I am considering mounting an oil cooler on my engine. But when is it really nesecessary to mount an oil cooler? Only going to race 5-10 minuts at a time. And what size is recommended?

What kind of oil viscosity is recommended for a medium tuned 807 engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Use an oil thermostat so you don't 'over cool' the oil, the optimum temperature is about 100C. Use a fully synthetic oil and one that covers the mineral oil range required for the engine.
    Hope this helps.
    Brendan.
    Before you even lash out and buy all the bits to make your oil cooler, I would ask do you really need one?

If I was you I would install a temperature gauge to measure your oil temp and then go from there. These are quite cheap on the net and even if you do end up needing an oil cooler you can monitor your oil temp.

Just my worth.
    Sunroof, Shoji and jaahn like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

I have a 17TS with factory oil cooler. Now I have it sorted the water temperature when on the road rarely exceeds 80 degrees which is what my thermostate is set at. My guess for 5 or 10 minutes you will never need the oil cooler even at full speed. The earlier Falcon after market oil cooler and take off fit, and are generally available at the bigger super cheap type stores. Or used to be. The factory standard oil cooler just has rubber pressure pipe with barb fittings and hose clamps. The pressure isn't all that high to need high priced stainless hoses and fittings. Unless you want it to look impressive under the bonnet.
    jaahn likes this.

The remote oil filter block you see in my picture has a thermostat built into it. Opens at 87 degrees. It runs a small amount of oil through as a bleed to slowly heat the oil in the cooler so there's no sudden shock of cold oil entering the system when it does open.
    I've asked previously about oil temps for 807 engines, modern oils can probably handle anything that these engines can throw at them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your answers. Yes, I am in doubt if I really need one. So I think I am going for COL's advice. Going to mount an oil temperature gauge anyway, so I can monitor the oil temp. Then take it from there and mount a cooler if necessary.

Another question, what kind of oil pressure should these engines have?
    COL likes this.

R8RX,

Maybe front engined cars are better off in the cooling department and that is why the cold oil temp as mentioned above is so low.

I think that to put the oil temp gauge in is a must do but I think the statement "going to race 5-10 minutes a time" is not to be taken lightly. The extremes of racing is often under estimated. I have been racing my car for 10 years now and there has been some developments and improvements over the years. After another mod I noticed an oil pressure drop. This can be seen in my "2 new race cars in NZ" thread where you can actually see the gauge lying dangerously low on the incar video.

I decided to put an oil temp gauge in and by doing 12 minute (8 laps) racing the oil temperature rises to over 150 degrees C. That is with an oil cooler mounted on top of the gearbox cross member. Obviously there isn't enough airflow in that position. I have now built a dedicated duct to take air from under the car through the cooler but it hasn't been raced with this duct yet.

There might be other positions that is better for the mounting of the cooler but I am trying to keep it there because of the convenience when removing the engine. All it takes is 1 M6 bolt to be taken out and the cooler can be put on top of the engine saving me the hassle and mess of disconnecting the oil lines. In the photo below you can just see the oil cooler at the back on the cross member. I don't have another better photo.

Regards, Frans
    21571 likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thread Information