Uploading image problems...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Uploading image problems...

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    I've moved this thread as people were having problems displaying images inline they uploaded.

to save you scolling... #post1611928
    Quote Originally Posted by CarvelSA View Post
    Attachment 113400

Well - lets see what happens - same pic as last time . . . . . .
    Not so well - if I go through those steps , then I get this again i.e. a link , not a picture . . . .

Advertisement

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong . . . ? Carvel
    Last edited by vivid; 11th May 2019 at 07:16 PM.
    Been looking for 40+ years and still can't seem to find those elusive "Round Tuits"

1968 R1135 1420cc
    1969 R1135 1296cc
    1969 R1135 1565cc
    1970 R1135 1340cc ( my first car bought in 1972 which started the 'Le Petite Bleu' addiction )

1000+ Posts

Default Uploading image problems...

You're doing nothing wrong - functionality was removed and we've been left to figure it out. The best way to display pictures is actually to upload the photos to a dedicated photo website, such as Flickr or Photobucket, then paste the link provided by that site into your AF post. This allows you to use high quality photos. I can provide further help on using Flickr if required

For Col's instructions to make sense, #1 needs to be "Go Advanced" - underneath the white "Quick Reply" box. Clearly he did not click "New thread", as the picture is in this thread .

Follow the rest of his instructions, then once the link has appeared, add the following:

#6 Go to the 1st icon in the 7th box on the top line of icons (looks like a paperclip).

#7 Now this is the weird bit - this looks like one icon, but behaves like two. Click only on the the little black triangle on the RH side of the paperclip - you should get a list of links you've just uploaded.

#8 Select a link (or Select all) - the picture(s) should appear where your cursor is flashing.

#9 Now, double click on the picture with the left mouse button. This should bring up a dialog box that allows you to control alignment and size of your displayed picture.

#10 If you have uploaded more than 1 photo, then repeat steps #6 - 10.

If Col can really get pictures to appear without using my steps, then we need to understand why - he clearly has special powers denied the rest of us!

If you click on the paperclip (not the triangle) you get a handy dialog box that allows you to add more pictures, or re-use ones that have appeared in previous posts, but they will only appear as links unless you follow #6 - 10 - here is my evidence - this was just uploaded using that dialog box IMG_6306.JPG

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by vivid; 3rd May 2019 at 11:02 AM.

Attachment 113400

Well - lets see what happens - same pic as last time . . . . . .
    it has become bit more convoluted recently and not always consistent, but you can convert the above link to an image by selecting edit for that post, then advanced edit. There you will see paperclip icon, next to the paperclip is a small down arrow, select the arrow (careful not to select the paper clip) and a box with file name will appear, click on the box and the image should appear. That image will be quite small, if you want it larger, double click on the image and select appropriate size and the finalise.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just my two cents worth. I have put lots of pics on in times past, and have given instructions to do just that. Now I struggle to do it at all ??
    I believe firstly that it depends on the device type you use and also the brouser that you have.

If these align and the planets also, then perhaps the instructions currently given may work. I might try them later ! BUT if the site is struggling with capacity and is boderline working it will not work for sure.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

Fivedoor and I are in agreement - he is more concise...

Jaahn I take your point - and that's another reason to us a photo hosting service, as it's a whole lot easier to post a link to a photo hosted elsewhere .

Of course Col & I made the assumption that the photo you want to upload does not exceed 99.9 Kb in size, which has always been the case. For a few years the site had the smarts to compress oversize files as it uploaded them, but when I first joined in 2006 you had to compress your own files...

This is something I can easily do on my computer (using MS Paint), but have never bothered to learn how to do on my phone.

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Of course Col & I made the assumption that the photo you want to upload does not exceed 99.9 Kb in size, which has always been the case. For a few years the site had the smarts to compress oversize files as it uploaded them, but when I first joined in 2006 you had to compress your own files...
    I assumed that the size was ok as the link was established.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

All - thanks for the pointers

I have received a couple more photos of the R5 gearbox conversion which I wanted to post with notes , and thought it might be more readable than having to jump to separate links for the images . . . .

Will see how it goes . . . I need to resize them first , Carvel
    Been looking for 40+ years and still can't seem to find those elusive "Round Tuits"

1968 R1135 1420cc
    1969 R1135 1296cc
    1969 R1135 1565cc
    1970 R1135 1340cc ( my first car bought in 1972 which started the 'Le Petite Bleu' addiction )

COL

If Col can really get pictures to appear without using my steps, then we need to understand why - he clearly has special powers denied the rest of us!

Cheers

Alec
    No special powers here unfortunately

Those are the steps that I used to get that picture of the cylinder liner to load up (its one of Frans' pics).

As you said if you are replying to a thread you need to "Go Advanced"
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    No special powers here unfortunately

Those are the steps that I used to get that picture of the cylinder liner to load up (its one of Frans' pics).

As you said if you are replying to a thread you need to "Go Advanced"

That's cheating - the instructions are quite different when using a photo that has already been uploaded - either by you or someone else!

COL

That's cheating - the instructions are quite different when using a photo that has already been uploaded - either by you or someone else!

R12TL.JPG

Yes I see what you mean.

That pic was taken off my desktop pc, it was a pic that I saved
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Carvel,

For a start you can email me the pics and I'll post them up. I can then show the procedure I use in email with some screen shots.
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans - thanks . . . will do . . . . hopefully then you can get the pictures and the comments in the right order for us , Carvel

1968 R1135 1420cc
    1969 R1135 1296cc
    1969 R1135 1565cc

Frans - thanks . . . will do . . . . hopefully then you can get the pictures and the comments in the right order for us , Carvel
    In case anybody has missed it , Frans has posted the info in its own dedicated R5 gearbox thread . . thanks Frans . . . but you still need to tell us how managed those pics !

Regards, Carvel

1968 R1135 1420cc
    1969 R1135 1296cc
    1969 R1135 1565cc

Yes please Frans. We needs a Mugs' Guide for posting new pictures.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    Uploading is working, it's a bit clunky.

I'll create a thread as there is much confusion, and posting to an external site can create broken links in the future.

As Frans has offered, alternately send me an email with your attachments as I can posts.

I have moved the 'problems posting photos' posts into their own thread in the renault forum.

I will post some instructions shortly, and convert all your links to images.

David.
    I have used the Photoshop way and you can post what ever size photos you want, but this defeats the purpose of the current system, that is to limit the amount of storage space needed for the site as a whole. As Vivid says the links to Photoshop are often broken, not sure why. I just don't bother to post photos any more it's too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes please Frans. We needs a Mugs' Guide for posting new pictures.....
    If you want them inline, it's a 'simple' case of editing your post, right clicking on the image link..

here goes...

This is assuming you have already resized and uploaded your images.

1. Edit your post.

2. Preview Changes

3. With the right mouse button click the image link you want to insert inline

4. Select the 'Insert Image Icon

5. Select 'From URL',
    * Paste URL,
    * Uncheck 'Retreive remote file...'
    * OK.

6. [IMG] tags should be inserted.

Rather than POST immediately, click 'Preview Changes' to confirm your image is right.

IMG tag should look something like this:

I am looking at creating a littile browser plugin to automatically convert your links to images with 1 click.
    I'll also have a chat to the admins about how the system can be corrected.

David.
    Attached Images Attached Images