• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By ReidarUF

Thread: Renault R5 5-speed box in R8/R10

Default Renault R5 5-speed box in R8/R10

Hi All,

I have taken the opportunity to make a new dedicated thread that could assist in future searches on this subject. Frans. This is a direct copy of what Carvel sent me.

The rationale for the project was driven by three major considerations

Advertisement

(i) The unavailability of original 5 speed 353 Gordini boxes

(ii) the “longer legs” of the R5 s speed box , with its 3.1:1 diff ratio

(iii) No oil leak problems from the selector shaft ( at the top of the box )

Some details . . . . .

The sides of the gearbox casing have to be built up by welding , and machined to take the diff carriers , and half shaft supports .. . .

The gear selection mechanism has to be translated through 90 degrees ( transverse) and arranged to engage at the top of the box . . . but no oil leaks

Another view of the gear linkage , and the top bracket which has been fabricated to engage the R8G gearbox mounting on the frame

Another view of the fabricated top bracket and a universal , which is a mix of the R5 CV joint , and the R8g UJ . .

Not a trivial project, but a few of these have been produced, with the owners being well satisfied at the results . . particularly the longer legs, and no oil on the floor . . . .

Regards,

Carvel
    R8 Dream, ReidarUF, jaahn and 1 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that. I imagine that discussion might now follow. In passing, I note that the linkage for my Djet goes down the left side of the backbone, across in front of the mid mounted engine, past the right side of the engine & transaxle & operates from the rear top of the (Estafette) transaxle. All linkages now rose-jointed & give precise changes despite the convolutions. So, this sort of thing can be done.

The alternative is to use the R5A internals inside the 330 casing (using a Mecaparts R8G 5 speed nose cone) & some other 330 internal bits as I recall. Richard Sealy (name?) in Melbourne is familiar with this process I gather.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 28th April 2019 at 08:27 PM.
    R8 Dream likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    The alternative is to use the R5A internals inside the 330 casing (using a Mecaparts R8G 5 speed nose cone) & some other 330 internal bits as I recall. Richard Sealy (name?) in Melbourne is familiar with this process I gather.

cheers! Peter
    A few days ago I missed the oportunity to buy a R10 with a box like this(no fancy mecaparts parts) and a R5A engine. According to the owner it was quite easy apart for sourcing suitable inner joints. He had bought his from Steven Swan who was a regular in here for a short period.

Steven Swan used to have his own website on this subject but now the content is moved to the turbo Renault forum

https://turborenault.co.uk/forums/8-...-workshop.402/
    Last edited by ReidarUF; 29th April 2019 at 05:28 AM.
    vivid likes this.

Thanks for posting info!!

Manic GT

There's an R8 in South Australia with 16TX internals too.

Nice post Frans and, particularly, a very interesting one. Having seen the internals of a much used R8 G 5-speed box recently, I'd definitely not go that route even if one were available. Bit fragile really.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information