• 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By Haakon
  • 1 Post By JoBo
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Unusual oil consumption....for a H5FT engine

Tadpole

Default Unusual oil consumption....for a H5FT engine

Hi all,

So I've just topped up our '18 Megane GT Line, H5FT engine, with another half litre of oil. It's due for it's annual service next week, but so far used 1 litre in 11k kms, is this normal for this engine? I do know some modern turbo can use a bit of oil, but I'm finding a litre excessive. Should I be concerned or bring this up with Renault at the service? Just never had a car use so much in such a small time. And I rarely drive it as it's my partners car, and its driven sedately and by all means no spirited driving what-so-ever, so just seeing if anyone else thinks it's bit out of specs I know many classics usefulre oil, it's normal, but a modern turbo is a bit concerning to me.

Advertisement

Cheers in advance.

1000+ Posts

Great explanation - is that an Austrian accent?
    JoshyJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyJ View Post
    Hi all,

So I've just topped up our '18 Megane GT Line, H5FT engine, with another half litre of oil. It's due for it's annual service next week, but so far used 1 litre in 11k kms, is this normal for this engine? I do know some modern turbo can use a bit of oil, but I'm finding a litre excessive. Should I be concerned or bring this up with Renault at the service? Just never had a car use so much in such a small time. And I rarely drive it as it's my partners car, and its driven sedately and by all means no spirited driving what-so-ever, so just seeing if anyone else thinks it's bit out of specs I know many classics usefulre oil, it's normal, but a modern turbo is a bit concerning to me.

Cheers in advance.
    What oil are you using?
    JoshyJ likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyJ View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers in advance.
    Ours is a 2015 1.2l and never needed oil top ups - admittedly it only drives 8/9 thousand km/year. Oil levels aren't low either at the end of the year.
    Looks like yours needs a fix under warranty.
    JoshyJ likes this.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

I think 1l in 11k km is within spec .
    I wouldn’t be overly concerned.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Hi JoshyJ
    Yes you should bring it up at the service. I have read that they can develop a leak at the timing cover. This is known and fixable as I understand. Mine(Captur) uses no noticable oil.
    Good luck.
    Jaahn
    JoshyJ likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi JoshyJ
    Yes you should bring it up at the service. I have read that they can develop a leak at the timing cover. This is known and fixable as I understand. Mine(Captur) uses no noticable oil.
    Good luck.
    Jaahn
    Thank you jaahn! You were spot on, that was exactly what Renault told us. They only hint I had that something was wrong was the smell of burnt oil in the cabin. As the leak was small, not enough to pool on the ground. I know these new small displacement direct injection turbo engines have a penchant for drinking some oil, which it did about 1 litre in 11k Kms. Hence it wasn't a huge concern for me, but because of the smell, I knew it wasn't actually burning oil in the traditional sense. I'll be on the watch as we bought a new Clio this year as well, so will see if it's more widespread. Thankfully it is covered under warranty, but a two month wait to get a booking, even though they have the parts! Not happy with McCarrols at all, looking for a better dealer to get it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    What oil are you using?
    Elf Evolution SXR 5W40 I believe. The oil that came with the car. Just had a service and that's what was used again, and the leak was from the timing case gasket. Guess it's a known issue from others on the forum with the 1.2l H5F4 engines. Although I couldn't find much about it online other than here. Not concerned with oil consumption per se, as that's the design, but it was the smell of burnt oil, and no evidence of it other than the dipstick level. So I knew it had to be something that was defective. And sure enough the timing case was leaking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thread Information