A very desirable collection.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: A very desirable collection.

Default A very desirable collection.

Hi,

My mate Jimmy from ZA where asked if some of his cars can be displayed at a new dealer that has opened somewhere in Johannesburg. Here are the photos of them loading some of his cars on a transporter to take to the dealer for you to enjoy so that I'm not the only one drooling over my keyboard.

Advertisement

Things like this that will turn me to alcohol!!

Frans.
    59 Floride, J-man, Shoji and 13 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

You'd have to be nervous watching that truck pull away with all your classic Renaults onboard.

Thanks for the pics, Frans

Jo
    jaahn, Dano and renault8&10 like this.

COL

Would be nice to see the rest of the collection if that is just some of his cars.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I have a mate who has about 13 classic superbikes from the 1970s. Whenever he wants to display said bikes at a show he gets all his cronies (me included) to take a bike each and arrive at the show separately, at different times and from different directions. The idea is to confuse any organised crime gangs that might put 2 & 2 together and realise there is a potential collection to be had. Or to avoid his entire collection being lost in a single traffic accident as might happen on a mass transporter. I agree with Jo, that would be nerve wracking to have all your toys together on a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Would be nice to see the rest of the collection if that is just some of his cars.
    Hi Col,

I'll paste some more for you but I'm sure some of them have been up here so there might be duplicates. He's got too many to keep track.

And some more in various states of restoration.

Frans.
    jaahn, Sunroof, ReidarUF and 3 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Do you have his address?

ANdrew

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I have a mate who has about 13 classic superbikes from the 1970s. Whenever he wants to display said bikes at a show he gets all his cronies (me included) to take a bike each and arrive at the show separately, at different times and from different directions. The idea is to confuse any organised crime gangs that might put 2 & 2 together and realise there is a potential collection to be had. Or to avoid his entire collection being lost in a single traffic accident as might happen on a mass transporter. I agree with Jo, that would be nerve wracking to have all your toys together on a truck.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi Col,

I'll paste some more for you but I'm sure some of them have been up here so there might be duplicates. He's got too many to keep track.

And some more in various states of restoration.

Frans.
    Thanks Frans, I like the Estafette very nice.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

What a superb collection...I'll take the R5 Turbo please!
    1969 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

I've just had a heart attack.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Do you have his address?

ANdrew
    Neither wild horses or a scantily clad lass could drag that info from me. (I'm not sure about the latter)

what a bloody bastard

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Neither wild horses or a scantily clad lass could drag that info from me. (I'm not sure about the latter)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A very desirable collection.-11111.jpg  
    21571 likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Nice collection, but I was thinking exactly along the same lines as above when I saw all of that on the one carrier.

Good to see a 12 in the collection too.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Well Frans, you are better off as you (or yours) have a Jet.
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

What an awesome collection. Love the R5T2. Almost had one years ago from NZ. Must have a huge garage or warehouse o store them safely and a dedicated mechanic.

Hi,

Glad to say all cars are back and safe.

A guy in ZA has been building a few boxes with the R5 internals or ratios in. The R10 has an Alpine engine in with one of these 5-speed gearboxes. This is an overdrive 5th that lowers the rpms and he says it cruises effortlessly at 120+ kph. That used to be an issue for us those days because for instance if we went down on the Durban dash the cars would run constantly at 5000rpm and more for the 700km there and back. Keep in mind that the speed limit there is 120 and most of us were using 13" wheels.

What the showroom looked like.

Frans.
    Shoji, bluey504, 21571 and 2 others like this.

[QUOTE=Frans;1609656]Hi,

Glad to say all cars are back and safe.

A guy in ZA has been building a few boxes with the R5 internals or ratios in. The R10 has an Alpine engine in with one of these 5-speed gearboxes. This is an overdrive 5th that lowers the rpms and he says it cruises effortlessly at 120+ kph. That used to be an issue for us those days because for instance if we went down on the Durban dash the cars would run constantly at 5000rpm and more for the 700km there and back. Keep in mind that the speed limit there is 120 and most of us were using 13" wheels.

- - - - - - - - -

Just a few more snippets of possible interest , based on what Frans has shared . . .

The owner runs a sizeable Brake System business and he was able to acquire and put aside a sizeable part of the building to house his collection and to set up a large workshop area for his restoration hobby , including two car lifts , an engine and gearbox assembly and test area . . . . very nice . . . . drool . . . .

The R8 Gordini is a 1296cc with RA5 cam and is one of the last made , and is in fact a couple of digits away from mine . . . maybe made on the same day . . . and featured in the 50th Anniversary "Box of tricks" article which I wrote and Frans posted here some while back

The Alpine 110 is also a 1296cc version and is a bespoke RHD factory version . . . not sure if it is the only one , but I don't know of another

The R5 internals 5 speed boxes that Frans alludes to , are in fact modified R5 boxes , not 353 boxes with R5 internals . . . . a very interesting adaptation and I will try and take some photos and post them if anyone is interested

The white R8 runs a 1400cc wedge motor built using the famous SA "Alconi" bits from the time in terms of manifolding , etc

One of his other R8 Gordinis - not shown here - has a very nice R12 Gordini motor adaptation , with a 330 'big box' conversion . . . I have a picture of it somewhere if anyone is interested

All the best from this side of the "pond" , Carvel
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I didn't notice the nice A110 was right hand drive. There is one in Oz and was originally restored by Alpine Affaire after being rescued from New Calendonia and was converted to right hand drive in the process. So unlike the one in the photos, is not a bespoke RHD factory version. What a show room - just makes one drool copiously... even with a well equipped workshop to indulge his hobby.

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=CarvelSA;1609939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi

<snip>

The R5 internals 5 speed boxes that Frans alludes to , are in fact modified R5 boxes , not 353 boxes with R5 internals . . . . a very interesting adaptation and I will try and take some photos and post them if anyone is interested

<snip>
    Carvel
    Well, please do share whatever you know of this. My 4CV has an R5A motor mated to a 330 transaxle & I was contemplating going down the path of getting the R5A transaxle internals shoved in the 330 casing (crudely simplified) but have an article somewhere of just installing the R5A one (with some fussing about gear selection & output to the wheels) but would be very interested to hear your advice.

cheers! Peter

[QUOTE=4cvg;1609974]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarvelSA View Post

Well, please do share whatever you know of this. My 4CV has an R5A motor mated to a 330 transaxle & I was contemplating going down the path of getting the R5A transaxle internals shoved in the 330 casing (crudely simplified) but have an article somewhere of just installing the R5A one (with some fussing about gear selection & output to the wheels) but would be very interested to hear your advice.

cheers! Peter
    Hi Peter ,

It involves fabricating a mounting bracket for the GB , machining the casing to take half shafts , and adapting the gear linkage which comes out of the top of the box ( so selector oil leaks !) . . . .I have asked one of the guys to send me a couple of pics which will better illustrate what has been done , will be in touch shortly I hope ,

Regards, Carvel

[QUOTE=CarvelSA;1610177]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post

Hi Peter ,

It involves fabricating a mounting bracket for the GB , machining the casing to take half shafts , and adapting the gear linkage which comes out of the top of the box ( so selector oil leaks !) . . . .I have asked one of the guys to send me a couple of pics which will better illustrate what has been done , will be in touch shortly I hope ,

Regards, Carvel
    Oops . . should read "So NO selector oil leaks " . . . sorry

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=CarvelSA;1610177]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post

Hi Peter ,

Regards, Carvel
    Many thanks & I shall await events with considerable interest. It's probably of more general interest but should it be considered more eccentrically particular to me, then please PM me & we can move the conversation to regular email.

cheers! Peter

I too would have an interest in this 5 speed adaptable to R8/10 swing axle suspension.
    A dedicated thread could be started regarding this so as to make the information easier to find in the future. An approximate price would also be of great interest.

Many years ago a Dauphine G owner in Brisbane fitted an R16TX 5 speed (to go with the 16 TS motor) with appropriate suspension design mods to have upper and lower wishbones with driveshafts.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Carvel, any more photos would be very welcome please!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

i only see one thing wrong with this collection, and that is that i don't own it.
    jaahn likes this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information