R8G Rally Footage
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By R10S FAN
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Steve Turner
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 3 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 2 Post By JAJEA
  • 3 Post By Kim Luck
  • 3 Post By JAJEA

Thread: R8G Rally Footage

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! R10S FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mt Barker S.A.
    Posts
    381

    Default R8G Rally Footage

    Hi all,

    Advertisement


    This video was taken from the Rally Videos of the Golden Era Facebook page, covers highlights from 65 66 and 67 BP SE Rally's. Fast forward to 2 min mark onwards for R8G action. Enjoy!
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...37227013223070
    COL, FIVEDOOR and Kim Luck like this.
    Current Frogs:


    1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

  2. #2
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,679

    Default

    Something for everyone there... Thanks for posting. I love the shut the gate stuff.....
    jaahn and bowie like this.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Steve Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Thanks for posting that. I love the old rally footage.
    bowie likes this.
    Currently:
    06 Peugeot 307 HDI Wagon
    61 Renault 4CV Gordini (Kermit)

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,111

    Default

    Renault legend Bob Watson in the HD Holden near the start. Bob really hated the HD.
    I believe the Gordini still exists in the Canberra area.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Dano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Great footage! Good memories of mapped events. No pace notes or pre practice. Also liked the comment “1500 miles”.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    19,833

    Default

    and the lack of helmets, I think I saw one driver with a pork pie hat
    Dano likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,111

    Default

    Even the Ford works team in the 1970s didn't use helmets. No one was hurt. Also meant that Forward Head Restraint wasn't as necessary without heavy helmets.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    My wife and I used to do controls on those rallies and believe me it was like being on the rally itself. High speed runs between controls and often just opening in time for the first car to slide in. Control outside a house one night a few local spectators. The lady of the house cooked scones and hot tea for all the spectators and us. Love it, rarely closed roads, high speeds, and most cars small drum brakes. In reality a good navigator was more important than the driver. Especially one that didn't get car sick. The club I was in had quite a few regulars in these rallies and so our club rallies were training for them and just as demanding. Similar, regular, events are still run in NSW and Vic. Though I guess you have slower speeds between controls to meet current speed limit laws. Regular historic navigation rallies are no longer run in Qld. Our club does run a yearly midnight to dawn run on asphalt but navigators are not usually available for it. Used to navigate for my son and usually ended up unwell. The last multi club navigation rally I was in (1990's) was in Northern NSW there was 6 Renaults (R16's, R10's etc) We won the best Renault trophy in an R4.
    JohnW, Dano and J-man like this.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,324

    Default

    What great footage, complete with the up beat 60's backing track no doubt!

    So whats the closed event that exists with road registered cars these days?

    Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Dano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Some of the best spectator points were near controls points, up in the hills. The drivers and navigators were so friendly and appreciative, especially when your turned up at more than one end of section control in a night. Many a families second car ended up as being a rally car of some sort....


    Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    My wife and I used to do controls on those rallies and believe me it was like being on the rally itself. High speed runs between controls and often just opening in time for the first car to slide in. Control outside a house one night a few local spectators. The lady of the house cooked scones and hot tea for all the spectators and us. Love it, rarely closed roads, high speeds, and most cars small drum brakes. In reality a good navigator was more important than the driver. Especially one that didn't get car sick. The club I was in had quite a few regulars in these rallies and so our club rallies were training for them and just as demanding. Similar, regular, events are still run in NSW and Vic. Though I guess you have slower speeds between controls to meet current speed limit laws. Regular historic navigation rallies are no longer run in Qld. Our club does run a yearly midnight to dawn run on asphalt but navigators are not usually available for it. Used to navigate for my son and usually ended up unwell. The last multi club navigation rally I was in (1990's) was in Northern NSW there was 6 Renaults (R16's, R10's etc) We won the best Renault trophy in an R4.
    Last edited by Dano; 8th April 2019 at 07:32 AM.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! JAJEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Essendon
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Something for everyone there... Thanks for posting. I love the shut the gate stuff.....

    No you don't John! Not when you pushing and it opens towards you and you are wedged between the car and the gate.

    Did not take too long for the team effort to come into play!

    Whilst I was preparing to get out, Driver would determine left hand or right hand side for the catch and also push or pull and reverse light would come on so you can see what you are doing. Those were the days.

    John

  12. #12
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    No you don't John! Not when you pushing and it opens towards you and you are wedged between the car and the gate. Did not take too long for the team effort to come into play! Whilst I was preparing to get out, Driver would determine left hand or right hand side for the catch and also push or pull and reverse light would come on so you can see what you are doing. Those were the days. John
    Ah, no I don't from that point of view, I agree. I've done decades of bush work as a geologist and could almost write a book about gates. What I loved was the mix of naÔve charm and associated pain of the old situation where we'd actually run rallies that way! A different era.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    I think I have put this on here before. Right on the tail of a Volkswagen Beetle style. It hit a water and mud splash and failed to stop for the home made 3 strands of barb wire gate. The gate went right over the top of the Volksy. At least their navigator didn't have to get out and splash through the mud to both open and close the damm thing. Yep the VW had some good scratches on the bonnet and roof.
    Dano likes this.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! JAJEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Essendon
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Ah, no I don't from that point of view, I agree. I've done decades of bush work as a geologist and could almost write a book about gates. What I loved was the mix of naÔve charm and associated pain of the old situation where we'd actually run rallies that way! A different era.
    Agreed. They were a sh*t load of fun. Driver and Nervigator plus how well the rally car was prepared.
    We would drive on occasions 300+kms to start the rally, rally till the wee small hours of the morning (driving flat out upon the drop of the hand / flag) and drive home at sunrise!
    Yes, a different era.
    I reckon we learnt a lot from those rallies and maybe helped us survive our roads to this day.
    John
    Sunroof and Dano like this.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,684

    Default

    I can remember cleaning a fairly long section in a George Derrick trial about 1969 up near Rheola through rickety gates (which fortunately were all open!) following the ex-Zasada London to Sydney Porsche in my bog stock 1497cc non crossflow R16. The dust was so thick that all I could see were the Porsches taillights glowing dimly about 20 feet in front of me at about 75 mph. I could not slow down because without those taillights there was nothing else as a reference. We were glued to their bumper in fear of our lives! Both of us cleaned the section, the only ones in the field to do so! Even got a writeup in Auto Action! Much Fun!
    Sunroof, GRAHAM WALLIS and Dano like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! JAJEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Essendon
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I can remember cleaning a fairly long section in a George Derrick trial about 1969 up near Rheola through rickety gates (which fortunately were all open!) following the ex-Zasada London to Sydney Porsche in my bog stock 1497cc non crossflow R16. The dust was so thick that all I could see were the Porsches taillights glowing dimly about 20 feet in front of me at about 75 mph. I could not slow down because without those taillights there was nothing else as a reference. We were glued to their bumper in fear of our lives! Both of us cleaned the section, the only ones in the field to do so! Even got a writeup in Auto Action! Much Fun!
    Those were the days Kim, no idea if Auto Action is still around but certainly remember the days going down to the local Newsagent to pick up my Auto Action. No more "Newsagents" per se; the World has changed them too.
    John

    PS: Reminds me of why I hate fog lights on modern cars (Melbourne drivers worst offenders world wide), We needed them in the winter months to find / stay on the road in the fog - not to show off that your car has "fog lights".
    Kim Luck, Sunroof and Dano like this.

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,111

    Default

    Auto Action still freely available, servos etc. It was closed down about 3 years back then relaunched shortly after. Pretty good but without the interesting subject matter of the past, so not really worth buying.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •