Gt220 turbo tuning - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gt220 turbo tuning

You can call whatever you want.

A quick reality check will put you straight.

Look back in history and you will find for instance the R8G had a strengthened chassis to cope with its intended use.

Look at any 205GTI (modified or not) and you will see stress cracks at the top of the B pillar. In the engine bay you will see the plastic shroud under the windscreen lose its eyelets to chassis movement. That's how you know the car you're looking at has been driven hard and on wide tires, with more power than intended and so on.

Some cars of the past have been indeed overengineered. The BMW 1800 TISA was only sold with a racing licence (only 200 made anyway), but that was a 1500kg monster compared to the puny R8G with its 800kg or so. Keep in mind these two cars are contemporary. Yeah, the TISA didn't need reinforcing, but it only had 130HP for all its mass.

But that was then and this is now. I doubt any manufacturer can afford to make the car heavier than it has to be. More material, more work, less performance due to added weight. And money talks. Be sure that Renault and everybody else for that matter know what they're doing and in cut throat competition for small profits per unit you can't afford that. To such extent that Japanese cars have used undersized heads for their fasteners for a long time to save a penny a bolt. The rest of the gang caught up only in recent times. Rest assured they won't waste a gusset or a thicker profile steel if the car doesn't need it. I remember on my wife's 1988 EG Civic, if you put a wheel on the kerb, you could hear the difference in the door shutting noise caused by chassis flex. But hey, try it for yourself.

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    That way you need less horsepower to do burnouts
    = Bob Jane Xenon Z7 - with (the feel of driving on) silica

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ahhhh what kind of a sh1t car owner am I if I'm not even measuring cracks in the chassis.

Interesting, and fair enough!
    Last edited by bowie; 16th April 2019 at 10:50 AM.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Do this Bowie (if you didn't reinforce your car yet).

Find some sort of "jig" that you can replicate in the future and take some critical measurements of your car (length/width/diagonal between these two, height, vertical diagonal, door frame measurements, front frame rail distance and angle, etc). Repeat after a year of hard driving/racing/whatever.

The "jig" can be a solid structure you can use for reference, something like that. You can of course, make one, but that's too much.

See what happens.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Ignorance is bliss.
    bowie and driven like this.

Yeah, and like you said, noise is power!

Credit to you for mentioning tires, an issue most people on the road today are indeed blissful about. Totally agree. Best money ever spent.
    jo proffi likes this.

Tadpole

The Integra Type R shell was seam-welded. Honda lost some $10,000 on each car sold.

http://kalecoauto.com

But back to this thread, have you installed a bleed valve and turned up the boost yet?

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by vaughanb View Post
    The Integra Type R shell was seam-welded. Honda lost some $10,000 on each car sold.

KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

So was the Simca Aronde, ever tried changing a panel?

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Naaaah I call bull shit.

Show me one example where a chassis has cracked at the seems, because of bushes and sticker road tyres.
    My 16 Ts powered R8 spent a lot of time on the track, and in motorkhanas, and cracked at the top of the A pillars, and the bottom of the C pillars. The body flexed so much that when the rear window was removed for painting, I found there was just polished metal in the corners, the paint fully worn away by the rubber. The rear chassis rails detached themselves from the inner guards in the engine bay. The front sway bay mounts also broke off. Rear engine mounts broke off. Yes, some fatigue was present.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Impressive!

Now starting to understand why these old car guys aren't keen on doing burnouts all the time. Hadn't expected the chassis movement to be that great.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information