R8 7 inch Headlight Conversion
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: R8 7 inch Headlight Conversion

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! R10S FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mt Barker S.A.
    Posts
    381

    Default R8 7 inch Headlight Conversion

    Hi All,

    Advertisement


    I will be putting 7 inch headights in my R1132 R8 and would like to know are there any lights/buckets from other cars that will fit?

    Cheers

    Anthony

    Sent from my SM-T813 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Current Frogs:


    1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    If you find some, let me know. Genuine buckets are super expensive. I’ve found a plastic bucket on ebay from the UK, but not sure how the chrome ring fits and looks or if a similar rim to the Gordini is available.
    R10S FAN likes this.
    KB


  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Floride and Caravelle had 7 inch headlights, hence suitable buckets.

  4. #4
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,587

    Default

    Did you ever see John Williams' dark green R8 with the 7" headlamps in Adelaide? They looked very good in, I think 2007. I think the car was sold interstate and I've no idea what happened to John.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Did you ever see John Williams' dark green R8 with the 7" headlamps in Adelaide? They looked very good in, I think 2007. I think the car was sold interstate and I've no idea what happened to John.
    I saw photos when it was for sale. I think Keith McElroy owned or owns it in Melbourne perhaps?
    KB


  6. #6
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Floride and Caravelle had 7 inch headlights, hence suitable buckets.

    Do you have any for sale Sunroof?
    I could maybe get someone to collect them for me from Inverell.
    KB


  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    32,709

    Default

    Ummm, I know this guy who has buckets and chrome trim rings but he is unsure if they are specifically for a Renault. Can anyone post a pic of the desired object?

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Do you have any for sale Sunroof?
    I could maybe get someone to collect them for me from Inverell.
    Nuh sorry all spoken for.

  9. #9
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I saw photos when it was for sale. I think Keith McElroy owned or owns it in Melbourne perhaps?
    That rings a bell. Really nice car. It had a brake servo for some reason.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Ummm, I know this guy who has buckets and chrome trim rings but he is unsure if they are specifically for a Renault. Can anyone post a pic of the desired object?
    I’ll have a look for a pic and email it over the next day or two - can’t post here at present.

    I also found that Narva do a plastic bucket and there are some on eBay at present - about $32ea. Look good, but again, no exterior chrome trim.
    KB


  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! keith mcelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ballarat
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I saw photos when it was for sale. I think Keith McElroy owned or owns it in Melbourne perhaps?
    Yes. Mine. In Ballarat.
    JohnW likes this.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! potentz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    adelaide australia
    Posts
    306

    Default 7 inch headlight

    20121117_133306.jpg

    this is a mini setup with mini chrome rings that attach to mini plastic buckets. i think i bought the lights as a generic part,.have a complete setup for sale with the parking light included in the lens.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    Yes. Mine. In Ballarat.
    Ballarat, Melbourne - same same to us from Sydney. It’s just a suburb isn’t it?

    Ps - let me know if you’re ever up in Sydney for one of those cars and coffee things at Riverstone. With a bit of advance notice, I’ll get a few Renaults along - my R8 and maybe a few Gordini’s.
    keith mcelroy likes this.
    KB


  14. #14
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potentz View Post
    20121117_133306.jpg

    this is a mini setup with mini chrome rings that attach to mini plastic buckets. i think i bought the lights as a generic part,.have a complete setup for sale with the parking light included in the lens.
    As in a pair, or one light? Anthony - could be for you?
    KB


  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! R10S FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mt Barker S.A.
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    As in a pair, or one light? Anthony - could be for you?
    Yep perfect, just phoned Brian and I'll grab them next time I see him.
    JohnW likes this.
    Current Frogs:


    1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! potentz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    adelaide australia
    Posts
    306

    Default

    anthony ,you will like the fact that the lenses are flat and not convex.so a nice compromise between the G concave

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jerangle
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Early Volvo have 8" headlights.
    140 and early 240 Series.
    Flat glass.

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    22,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I also found that Narva do a plastic bucket and there are some on eBay at present - about $32ea. Look good, but again, no exterior chrome trim.
    I noticed Narva do the whole kit and caboodle. Bucket, nice chrome ring etc. https://www.narva.com.au/products/72193

    I was toying with the idea of putting them in the 4CV .... one day
    Last edited by J-man; 3rd April 2019 at 12:05 PM.
    cheers,

    John

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    Good find. My ebay ones, don't have the chrome outer ring.
    KB


  20. #20
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    22,695

    Default

    You can also get plastic (as you found) or steel as I found. Huge price difference.
    cheers,

    John

  21. #21
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I built up the Williams/McElory 1132. It has a genuine 1134 front and genuine 1134 head light buckets etc. purchased from RenoRetro in France.
    Gordon

  22. #22
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordon hellsten View Post
    I built up the Williams/McElory 1132. It has a genuine 1134 front and genuine 1134 head light buckets etc. purchased from RenoRetro in France. Gordon
    Hello Gordon. Congratulations on a very fine bit of work! I saw the car in detail when John had it. Have you any idea what happened to him?

    Regards
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  23. #23
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi John. I too send my regards and have been observing your excellent contributions. I understand that John was in very poor health. I have lost touch. I fear the worst. I still have my C3 and a Koleos.
    Gordon

  24. #24
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,587

    Default

    Hello Gordon,

    I too fear the worst. I could only imagine one reason for the car being sold.... Our beloved red R8 was bought secondhand in 1973, with one careful first owner - John Williams! I thought the green car looked terrific with the R1134 front.

    Best wishes,
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! keith mcelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ballarat
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hello Gordon,

    I too fear the worst. I could only imagine one reason for the car being sold.... Our beloved red R8 was bought secondhand in 1973, with one careful first owner - John Williams! I thought the green car looked terrific with the R1134 front.

    Best wishes,
    I agree the car looks great with the R1134 front, with a bit of nostalgia for my first R8, a genuine R1134 which took me from SA to WA and finally to Victoria.
    The only slight wrinkle with the genuine French lights in my current green car is the fact that the system is for driving on the right. Therefore low beam is cut off flat to the left and angled up to the right! Not good for Aus traffic. I avoid driving it after dark. No RWC or H plate inspection has ever noticed it. So....shusssssh, please.
    JohnW likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •