• Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 4 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: Coolant bottle spigot

Default Coolant bottle spigot

Hi guys, looks like I've got a leak where the spigot goes through the bottle cap on the Alpine. Anyone got a fix for sealing it, same glass bottle as R12/15/16/17 etc. Or anyone got a spare?

Advertisement

That is just standard low grade steel. You can solder it or for a more permanent solution silver solder it.
    21571, bowie and Kenfuego like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Soldering is easy. The spigot is steel, the cap looked like aluminium though. Didn't have a decent magnet handy though.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk

Yeah, silver soldering is better, but soldering should be fine. Does need inspecting every so often because it will cycle close to the melting point of solder and might crack/"dry". A quick reflow with some flux should be enough to keep it happy though.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Great! I wasn't sure about aluminium and solder, even of the silver kind. Now to dig through the shed bench drawers and find some.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk

Given there is a rubber valve in the "top-hat" section of the cap, it may be worth using one of the wick-in Loctite products rather than solder. I've used one on a brass radiator header tank (running "normal" radiator pressures) in the past with success.
    Kim Luck, Sunroof, JohnW and 1 others like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Nice call Simon. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 3G using aussiefrogs mobile app

Yeah, I thought about that. Silver soldering might be a problem, tin soldering I don't think so. Just need to be quick with the heat so it doesn't soak. Take the thing apart, clean the surfaces where the tin goes, tin well both parts and then a quick heating at the join should do it. Maybe practice your technique on some scrap. Use a powerful iron so you put a lot of heat locally quickly.

I've never done it but I remember seeing cars come into the yard that had been soldered and were working fine.
    21571 likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks guys, I'm off to Bunnings tomorrow to get some appropriate solder. Ray has put some caps in the mail for me too.
    What are the thoughts on a bit of plastibond smothered around the joint?

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

I swear by epoxy metal for a lot of jobs like that. JB Weld is fairly runny and Devcon is stiff. JB would fill the crack but may need a small dam made from perhaps BlueTac until it dries. Perhaps 24 hours. Devcon works for fuel tank leaks so should be OK but would need to be pressed into place. From memory both handle high temperature. I have used them for major rebuilds of old castings, fuel leaks, and worn axle shafts with long term sucess.

I have soft soldered the pipe into the main body, it being stainless steel. I was a little worried about the amount of heat for silver soldering affecting the valve. Used an LP gas type flame as heat source, as the body is a large heatsink and would be very difficult to do even with a big iron.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Ten years ago I used quite a lot of JB weld on the inside of a bike body inlet for a 106GTI. Acording to its current owner its still works good(knock on wood...)

So may JB Weld products, I'm guessing the steel stick, tank weld or the epoxy would be the go?

Pretty sure either of those would do. Although Im not familiar with the tank weld product.
    Last edited by Reidar; 1st April 2019 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information