Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By Andrew Watkins

Thread: Floride vs dauphine fuel tank

Default Floride vs dauphine fuel tank

Hi, Is the dauphine fuel tank the same as the early floride? need a petrol tank for my floride & i see Der Franzose have new dauphine tanks.
    Brian

Advertisement
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

1000+ Posts

I have two tanks. One definately came out of a Floride. I assume it is a Floride tank, in any case it fitted. The other tank I have I believe to have come from a Dauphine. They look the same. I'll double check them side by side later. If you spend money I will say all care but not responsible if my findings are wrong as I said the other tank was said to come from a Dauphine. I'll also check the two parts books. I also have a Renault factory book that shows items that are common between models. It doesn't cover everything just every day maintenance items but I'll also look at that for you and see if it has fuel tanks listed at all.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 28th March 2019 at 05:28 PM.

The Floride (R1092) fuel tank has a part number 9 832 140. This is confirmed as the same as the R1090/R1091 Dauphine tank, which is superseded by 9 832 201.

Just making sure that we are discussing an R1092 Floride, and not an R1131 Floride S, which has a completely different tank to a Dauphine.
    Kim Luck and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

As Simon said the tanks have the same part number. I put both tanks I have, side by side, and they are identical. I took a photo of them but you probaly don't need to see it now.

That is good news Sunroof, do you want to sell it?
    Simon - yes its a 1960 R 1092 floride
    regards
    Brian
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

Tadpole

the tank looks the same and perhaps the filler neck maybe longer than on Dauphine
    was the Floride model built based on a Dauphine floorpan?
    in any event these tanks always have an additional stone tray beneath the fuel tank which takes a beating so low to the ground.
    a 750 fuel tank might fit in a 1092 it's the same size and shape though slightly smaller, i haven't actually tried to fit one into a Dauphine.
    i have a 750 with an alloy racing tank in under the front bonnet full width in front of the firewall so that is less exposed than underneath.

Fellow Frogger!

Slight thread hijack, for which I apologise, but the question may be of use to others as well

I have 4CV and have been having trouble finding exact fuel tank capacity written down anywhere - it doesn’t feature in any of the manuals I have and internet searches have drawn a blank

Am working on finding it out by trial and error, but the dreaded 4CV fuel gauge makes this a particularly useful piece of informatiion. At the moment I work on the theory that if the needle is waving around, this means that there’s still fuel in the tank

Doe sanybody know the capacity of :
    4CV
    Dauphine
    Floride

Tanks?

BEst Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Slight thread hijack,
    Doe sanybody know the capacity of :
    4CV
    Dauphine
    Floride

Tanks?

BEst Wishes

Andrew
    Sourced from various Renault documentation:

4CV - 27.5 litres
    Dauphine/Floride - 32 litres
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martook View Post
    That is good news Sunroof, do you want to sell it?
    Simon - yes its a 1960 R 1092 floride
    regards
    Brian
    No the tank I took out is rotten and full of old fuel sludge. The other is to replace it when the time comes to reserect the Floride.

There are places that will remove the old fuel sludge and reline your fuel tank. Had it done for a Caravelle fuel tank that had been sitting for over ten years.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 62Caravelle View Post
    There are places that will remove the old fuel sludge and reline your fuel tank. Had it done for a Caravelle fuel tank that had been sitting for over ten years.
    This has been sitting since 1979 It seems to be about half full of thick brown sludge like molassis. And has rusted out along a seam. That is why I have the spare tank. Also it was free. I always restore on a budget so any free bits are a benefit.
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    …….the dreaded 4CV fuel gauge makes this a particularly useful piece of informatiion. At the moment I work on the theory that if the needle is waving around, this means that there’s still fuel in the tank
    If you pull the sender unit out and pull the top off, some careful cleaning of the wound resistor and brass wiper can give a surprisingly satisfactory result. The cork floats can be dire too - several solutions there to discuss in Inverell!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

...lots of things will get discussed at Inverell

Fellow Frogger!

HAve already given the tank a birthday - new filler pipe and new sender from Franzose.

This has transformed the gauge from one that didn't read to one that goes very satisfactorily up to full after filling, but then drops rapidly to close to zero after about 100k, flapping around vaguely until I chicken out and fill it up, hence the question

Next phase will consist of a re-visit of earthing arrangements, which I thought i'd optimised, and then consideration of the gauge itself

Old sender didn't look too bad, also looked very French ( wine cork or suchlike as float ) so shall give this a birthday too.

Main issue for me is accuracy below half tank capacity, especially as buying petrol involves a fair drive for me- very few servos in the Dandenongs. Also don't need to do too much pushing on way to Inverell

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    If you pull the sender unit out and pull the top off, some careful cleaning of the wound resistor and brass wiper can give a surprisingly satisfactory result. The cork floats can be dire too - several solutions there to discuss in Inverell!

The first rule with old cars: Always carry fuel and always carry spares. Don't ask me how I know..

There are two types of sender unit and two different circuits. The early senders have two terminals, working on a Wheatstone bridge circuit, the later ones a single wire, with earth return via the resistor to earth. I guess you have the right one electrically. I wonder whether the arm with the float is too short, aimed at a different tank?

Equally, when it goes half full on the gauge, how much fuel do you add to fill it? Is it drinking too much?

M. 59 Floride is right of course.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Mine is a '60 model , so would have the later version

Hadn't thought about the length of the arm, the new sender does look suspiciously like a new 404 sender in my collection, although 404 tank is deeper

When it gets to empty for too long and I wimp out I usually have to put in 15-18 litres, so it does arrive at empty rather too soon

I am generally getting 38 mpg, this with most of my trips involving thrashing up and down hills - I live in Dandenongs at ~500m and going anywhere involves a lot of descent and climbing, so a fair bit of time at 4000rpm in second

Am now the proud owner of a cute little fuel can which will live in the boot ( along with a ton of spares and tools !), at least until this is sorted

Many thanks

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    There are two types of sender unit and two different circuits. The early senders have two terminals, working on a Wheatstone bridge circuit, the later ones a single wire, with earth return via the resistor to earth. I guess you have the right one electrically. I wonder whether the arm with the float is too short, aimed at a different tank?

Equally, when it goes half full on the gauge, how much fuel do you add to fill it? Is it drinking too much?

M. 59 Floride is right of course.....
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information