Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By driven

Thread: Clio 2 front wheel bearings without press

1000+ Posts

Default Clio 2 front wheel bearings without press

Hi all,

Simple question - can the front bearings on the Clio be replaced without a press? Presuming someone on here has worked on a Clio; it seems to be a rare thing here on AF! Or maybe if you've worked on a Scenic or other similar Ren.

I can possibly get access to a press but I'd rather do it at home if there's a way with say a threaded rod and washers. Of course it's the removal that might be the harder part...

Advertisement

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Hmmm, never mind. I've just had a look at a Scenic bearing replacement Youtube vid and I think there's probably no way without a press, at least no reasonably practical way. They're a pretty big bearing needing a fair bit of force.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Iíve done a 307 front at home using a spring compressor using the thread and big sockets its the same as a clio

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

1000+ Posts

Hmm. Ok, thanks David.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Stuey - Clio 2 - Standard or sport?

As you will probably need to remove the hub assembly out of the car,
    It may be simpler and cheaper to replace with good second hand?

1000+ Posts

It's a 1.4 but aren't they essentially the same design wise?

Yeah the hub definitely has to come out of the car, but I was prepared for that.

Clio's are apparently notorious for short bearing life so second hand isn't an option really. I've read of non-genuine new front bearings lasting only 10,000 miles! I think it's worse in cold climates though, where the grease moves away from the balls and no fluid remains to lubricate. It's strange because they don't look undersized, and I think the genuine ones are sourced from SKF.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm...
    Haven't compared the two directly.. dunno.
    Strange. i haven't experienced short FRONT bearing lives.
    But yes, rears don't last too long especially when, as I have, carry way too much bricks and mortar etc.
    with the bum dragging on the road...
    SNR are genuine ..Societe National Renault?? Won't use non genuine thanks very much!

1000+ Posts

From the Clio 2 book. Can't add more because of zize limit.
    brg.jpg

1000+ Posts

Cheers Seasink.

Steve, Renault don't make their own bearings. SNR is a bearing mfr. and they would probably also source them from others. There are quite a few posts over the net about short bearing lives on both ends of the car. Even 60,000km is short for a bearing, IMO.

I'd have no problem whatsoever using SKF, Timken, FAG, NSK or other quality bearings, but if genuine are OK on price I'll buy them. Or if they come with other parts like retainer rings.
    driven likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Stuey, fair point, would agree with quality branded bearings.
    Diagrams from Seasink show ideal press methods for bearings.
    Problems arise in having a press that is large enough to orient the hub carrier
    correctly and safely. It is an awkward shape!
    This all goes back to your original question - yes, you will most probably need a press.

I find the difficulty is in obtaining, in this case, the 3 different size sleeves to press on the correct surface of the bearing, during removal and replacement. Those diagrams are very good at showing the correct method, especially to prevent damage to the balls of the new bearing.
    I did once see a full set of sleeves at one of the cheap tool stores, one of those orange moulded cases with about 20 different diameter sleeves. Didn't purchase at the time, unfortunately.
    Sometimes lucky to purchase a large socket with the right OD for the smaller diameters, but the large outer sleeve may be harder to come by. Last time I did one (front bearings on a Mazda Tribute), I was lucky to have a friend with a machine shop who made me up a lovely press sleeve from stainless steel, because he said he just had a scrap piece of about the right size.

Stuey, I have a press you could borrow if you have a trailer to pick it up with, I think a 6' x 4' would be adequate, it stands about 1.8 m high. I think the hyd jack is removable for transport. I am South of River, Riverton area. Let me know by PM if you want it.

Cheers
    Chris M.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I think the best way to hold the hub is to have a jig with support in the right places and possibly bolts to attach it. Not that hard to make with angle steel, but adds another step to the procedure. I had to make one for wife's Mi16. Makes life a lot easier.

I think those are angular contact bearings, so won't be cheap. The key of the entire procedure as with all bearings is not to push the balls against the race. If you could put the bearings in a deep freezer overnight it would be helpful.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

and the hub in the oven
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Jeez thanks guys! That's all great info!

Chris, you're an absolute champ. Let me absolutely confirm it's the bearings but I'm definitely interested. I haven't actually driven the car to check - diagnosis is my son's. I'm so busy I haven't had time! I'm doing the 206 timing kit, water pump and aux belt this weekend and am faced with a Camry rear main seal job as well for my son's girlfriend (involves steering rack and subframe removal). Arrrrrrrgh!

Schlitz you are right again - they're reasonably expensive. I don't know about in Aus but saw them at GBP60.

PS. I thought of incorrect installation when I read about aftermarket bearings lasting only 10,000 miles. I reckon there's a chance there were dents in the race...

Thanks again!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Let me absolutely confirm it's the bearings but I'm definitely interested. I haven't actually driven the car to check - diagnosis is my son's.
    IMO the most common misdiagnosis of wheel bearings is the tyres, which can make very similar noises. Modern tyres seem just as bad or worse for noise than older designs.

The best way to eliminate is to put on a set of wheels from another car if possible.

Cheers.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Thanks. I've told my son to rotate them first up. I remember the time I bought new tyres of mid range quality (I think Bridgestones from memory) and they made a noise from brand new. The tyre shop said to swap the fronts around side to side. I said yeah right, but did it because it was easy and they were right - sorted - and the tyres were fine for the rest of their life.
    JohnW likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

60 pounds is not that expensive for good angular contact bearings. I was looking for something more mundane (my lathe) and found them for about 150 bucks a piece. I think I paid over 100 bucks a piece for SKF for my GTI.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

That was 60 quid a side.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yep, I got that.

Fordman likes this.

Excellent video, driven, he knew what he was doing, and made good use of the old bearing to press in the new one.

Personally, I would have cleaned things up a bit as I went, but as my mate with a workshop says - "people don't want to pay me for cleaning these days". A luxury we can afford with home jobs, and more time.

That video is a s good as a workshop manual, or better.

Cheers.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information