• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By angru
  • 1 Post By bowie
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By geckoeng

Thread: Renault 16 coil

Default Renault 16 coil

Car started & ran perfectly & instantly.
    Had an auto elec assisting with rewiring left power on & original bosch coil is stuffed!
    Fiitted a 12V bosch coil I had lying around.

Doesn't run right!

Where do I get an original stlyle coil for the 1600CC cross flow, twin overhead cam head engine?
    Also where do I get to fit this french distributor a hall effect or electronic ignition system.
    Thanks Guys

Advertisement

Hmm. Unusual 16 if it has DOHC.... The others were all pushrod.

That aside, the Hot Spark kits fit the Ducellier distributor, sometimes with a wee bit of mechanical fiddling, and they need a coil with a particular low tension resistance. I bought the recommended coil with the Hot Spark kit from the suppliers to be sure it was the right one. It's been perfect for years in the R8. I bought mine on line from the suppliers I think. So you can kill two birds with one stone. I've found I don't suffer from "points nostalgia" at all.....

I'm not sure whether the 123 folk offer a 16TS distributor, but these folk https://www.123ignition-conversions.nl/ will fit a 123 system to your Ducellier distributor. I did it and am very satisfied, for my Citroen CX. Rather more expensive than Hot Spark, but it replaces all the mechanical stuff in a conventional, probably worn, distributor.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

My mistake!
    Don't pretend to be a froggy vehicle expert although I would not buy a new one [lost 2/3 value over 2 years & only had 18000 kms].
    I'm good with old time 'mechanic' diagnostic/solutions without the parts changer rubbish.
    That's is why I'm here looking to solve a problem that may have [I'm sure was] been introduced.
    Still want answers & there must be less expensive ways to get rid of points & condenser. JG

Artificer !!!!
    Leaving the power on could also do in the condencer. I have used Bosch coils on a lot of my 807 points ignitions, and they are very good. But then mine were always the German made units not Aussie, which early Holdens had great trouble with.

"123" is the answer, and do the 807/16TS through the German guy he knows his Renaults. "nauli's" Alpine has one, worked straight off, and it was special built.

RAY
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Like Ray says, leaving ignition on can damage condenser... although if the motor had ignition left on, would only damage one component at a time (coil if it was left on with points closed, or condenser if left on with points open). Also, if left with points closed, I’d check the actual points as the current flow for extended period may have caused some heat which may have affected their contacts or even the follower on them.
    Anyway... pertronix also make an electronic ignition set up. I’ve fitted a few of these, including one to a Renault 8 just last week. They have 2 options for these cars, one which you can use with existing coil, and a better one which requires you to upgrade coil. They’re available over internet and also have a store in bayswater Vic.. starting from under $140 for the basic upgrade from points, to around $280 including coil and better module. I’ve fitted a few and they’ve been good.
    JohnW likes this.

When you look online, the Pertronix unit looks remarkably like the Hot Spark.... I suspect they are the same. Either way, if the distributor is good they work well.

Artificer, this Pertronix or Hot Spark approach isn't particularly expensive. Can't comment on that ridiculous depreciation but two years is a helluva bad age to sell any vehicle. We've never had a depreciation problem with a French car but equally our new one lasted 22 years or so.

Sounds like you should try a new capacitor with the old coil.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks.... I agree with new condenser [particularly] as step 1.

Thanks for the other input.
    No multiple exclamations needed, as surfaced earlier.

Where in OZ do I source an original type, new coil?

E.G. got a new water pump from Oxford Spares in Perth.

Points & condenser, I can handle, but wish to replace with later technology.

I am not interested in EU sourcing anything, good or not.
    US is a totally different story.
    Freight invariably is more than the parts. Then the EU parts are more often than not, wrong.

What I am asking regarding hall effect & re-placing points & condenser, is very simple.

Jaycar's sell something, I will look into.
    I fix things & do not pay others mega bucks for simple straight forward solutions.

Forums like this sometimes reveal these simple such solutions/innovation/s.

I will wait on folk who have been through the mill & fixers [as I was taught as an apprentice in the early 60's] not parts changers/re-placers.
    JG.
    Last edited by Artificer; 21st March 2019 at 09:58 PM.

Wait, isn't a coil just iron wrapped in copper, ie.. why does it have to be specific? can't you just get one a similar size? Or at worst, that has a similar output?

I.e buy this.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/bosch-co...n-sp08424-gt40
    Sunroof likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

You've obviously had some bad experiences that others of us have not. I buy most of the few parts I need from EU, almost always in batches to spread the postage costs and the orders almost invariably are correct when they arrive. I can't say the same for buying from US.

Oz-built Renaults often had Australian Bosch coils and distributors. They seemed to work. It's just a normal 12V coil....

I bought my Hot Spark kit on ebay with the coil they recommended. Can't remember which continent it came from but probably it was North America. It didn't fit physically until I shaved down the central magnet unit to clear the base-plate electronic unit but was fine once "adjusted".

You did well with Oxford - it's ten minutes from here so I'd better go and talk to them!!

Good luck with it.
    Wildebeest likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

If you want real performance from a distributor based system, it is very wise to do a full rebuild on the distributor before including a hall effect spark system. 90% of distributor problems are worn mechanicals. Just by rebuilding properly you can feel a difference in performance, and they start first turn. Most of them are 40 years old, and never been touched.

Ray
    JohnW and 85Fuego like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thread Information