Laguna II 2008 2.2 DCi interference engine?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego

Thread: Laguna II 2008 2.2 DCi interference engine?

Tadpole

Default Laguna II 2008 2.2 DCi interference engine?

Is the 2.2 an interference engine?

My low mileage Laguna II 2008 2.2 DCi has been dealer serviced so by rights it should have had the timing belt changed. Ie 100,000k's or 6 years into its life as recommended. It is only 74,000 klms. But is 11 years old so could be due for a new belt.

So you see I need to decide if prevention is better than bent valves.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I think it is an interference motor but i dont think the valves will bend. The damage will be in the rockers and fixed without head off

Best to find out when belt was changed. Seems a waste of money to change if not needed

Tadpole

Thanks, that makes sense. Is there anyway to tell if there's been a new belt put in. (apart from knowing more about the history)

They usually record it in the owners manual. The service book normally has a section for timing belt/kit replacement.
    Some good mechanics make a mark in pen on the actual timing belt cover so have a careful look in the engine bay for handwritten markings. Usually it can be date and mileage or maybe just date.

Renotech for example write T/B and date from memory.
    jo proffi likes this.
    KB

1000+ Posts

There MAY be a date code on the belt itself if easy to look at? Only a rough indicator of course, but will tell you the oldest date it could be.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

As I understand it the actual belt is not that expensive, its all the rollers and adjusters that make up the bulk of the price, That is where a good friendly Renault mechanic is your friend. He could use his expertise to judge the condition of the rollers etc. Myself I'd change over the lot for peace of mind, and get a few quotes while I searching for the best response .

I always thought that Dealerships kept those records on the Renault computer system and that seems prudent for anyone (like an auto manufacturer interested in the quality and servicing of their product) and the efficiency of the Dealer system in catering for its customer needs. (Satisfied and contented customers stick to the brand that is prepared to help them and understand their needs) They also do keep records of factory recalls and upgrades, linked to the Vin # I believe , nice to have that confirmed...

Ken
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

Good point Ken, I did exactly that when I bought the 206 - checked with the dealer, who confirmed the belt was changed (or at least, the major service during which that should have been done was recorded on their system).

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Good point Ken, I did exactly that when I bought the 206 - checked with the dealer, who confirmed the belt was changed (or at least, the major service during which that should have been done was recorded on their system).
    And there's the problem! You said it "during which that should have been done". We bought a one-owner, dealer-serviced from new Renault and they hadn't done the belt in 8 years. They wouldn't tell me why not.... Nor would they give us the service records even when we demonstrated that we owned the car. Some issue with confidentiality.

I reckon most secondhand cars need a belt and pulley change unless there is proof of exactly what was done and when.

We had the belt and pulleys changed immediately - I wasn't game to drive it further than the workshop. When we bought another privately, it had much the same issue. Did they change the pulleys? Who knows....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

They would only have the record if it had been dealer serviced however.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    They would only have the record if it had been dealer serviced however.
    And, even then, it might not be available to the new owner....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information