• Register
  • Help
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By jo proffi
  • 3 Post By driven
  • 3 Post By COL

Thread: use of magnetic induction stove top to heat ferrous materials

Default use of magnetic induction stove top to heat ferrous materials

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a magnetic induction heating element from a stove top to pre heat ferrous materials or heat broken ferrous studs in a aluminum casting ??? My wife and I purchased a new magnetic induction stove top a couple of years back and it works great on any magnetic type pots or pans ! This got me to thinking about preheating connecting rods , bearings, broken studs in aluminum castings i.e. water pump housings ?

I could place paper or some other material under the object so as to not scratch the cooking surface but I was wondering if someone has ever tried it prior to me running our cook top ??!!

Advertisement

Manic GT

Quote Originally Posted by Manic GT View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a magnetic induction heating element from a stove top to pre heat ferrous materials or heat broken ferrous studs in a aluminum casting ??? My wife and I purchased a new magnetic induction stove top a couple of years back and it works great on any magnetic type pots or pans ! This got me to thinking about preheating connecting rods , bearings, broken studs in aluminum castings i.e. water pump housings ?

I could place paper or some other material under the object so as to not scratch the cooking surface but I was wondering if someone has ever tried it prior to me running our cook top ??!!

Manic GT
    Can I suggest you go and get a portable induction stove from Walmart or similar before you go and introduce car parts to the kitchen.
    I have one for camping (glamping) and it cost around $40.

I once baked a car part and a small drop of oil or some other ooze spilled onto the oven. Forever more the cooking experience had that slight "old Renault' odour to it.

Jo
    Armidillo, COL, Sunroof and 1 others like this.

You can buy made for purpose tools for this snapon had one on the truck years ago

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Wonder why my missus stopped me doing oil changes on my 4 stroke mower in the lounge room while watching TV?
    Sunroof, jaahn and COL like this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

I once baked a car part and a small drop of oil or some other ooze spilled onto the oven. Forever more the cooking experience had that slight "old Renault' odour to it.

Jo
    Should run the part through the dish washer first Jo
    FIVEDOOR, Sunroof and jaahn like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

So at this point it sounds like it may work but has any one actually tried it and if so did it break the stove top unit ??

It sounds like it would be ideal for nonferrous materials that had a seized ferrous broken stud in it ,or for cycling the seized piston wrist pin ??
    No sense me breaking the stove if someone has already tried it and broke their stove ?

Manic gt

Quote Originally Posted by Manic GT View Post

Manic GT

Hi ManicGT,

I think it is a very good idea and nobody, at least not me, have thought about it. Just thinking that if it works and the metal part does heat up it will expand more and are less likely to become loose. Maybe heat cycles will do it?

Here by us you can buy a hot plate portable unit for very little money. Same there by you?

regards, Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thread Information