• 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: R10 rear main and front gearbox seal

Default R10 rear main and front gearbox seal

Hi, all
    I have a pretty bad leak between the engine and transmission on my R10, thinking its prob a rear main, are they available locally (in the country)
    also have the seal leaking in the front of the transaxle were gear stick linkages are located. can't find anyting on mecaparts

Advertisement

Cheers.

Is it engine oil or gearbox oil coming out?

Don't know what's available locally, regarding the main seal. It's a big seal!

The gearbox linkage shaft seal can be changed with the gearbox in the car, but it is fiddly with an internal roll pin involved to get the end cap off.

All seem to be available from Bretagne Auto Retro, Melun Retro Passion and maybe others.

Cheers
    LeMansTragic and COL like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Remove the old seals, on the seal will be the size for example 70 x 90 x 10 (inside dia x outside dia x width)

Go to your local friendly bearing/seal supplier with the old seal and they will be able to give you a replacement.

The parts book that I have here does not have seal sizes, only part numbers.

Renault used standard seal sizes.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hi,

For the selectorshaft seal I have used 2 seals in place of the one original one. When you remove that seal you will find it is a very wide seal and my bearing/seal supplier didn't have one that width. So I took two narrow ones and it works fine with both installed.

Frans.
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I think so, yes. I changed the engine and transaxle oils recently but the leak I'm getting is very dark oil. perhaps it is getting contaminated on the way out? not sure

It's good to know I can take the sector seal out easily, my workshop manual isn't specific.

Cheers

I wouldn't say "easily".... Getting that roll pin in and out is a bit challenging. Replacing it from under the car, with the rear casting lined up, gasket and sealant in place, and a narrow slot through which you align it and tap it in, while the sealant tries to drip, is character building. But it is straightforward. It'd be easier if you did it regularly but they last years and years so each time is a new challenge.

I made up a brass punch of the roll pin diameter to get it out.

BTW, use a new roll pin. Always....
    Sunroof and LeMansTragic like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

I have been able to buy all the Renault seals for older models from my local tractor parts and workshop. (I live in a small country town.) Except for the seal that is in the rear brake balancer for an R17TS. I got 5 of them made in Springwood Logan Qld for $100. They were really small, perhaps 7mm outside with a 3 mm shaft hole or something like that. They can make almost any size seal with a machine set up cost at the time of $75 and $5 for each seal. Made while I waited. Great idea Frans replacing the wide one with two. From memory they are 8mm wide so two 4's would easily fit.

While on the subject of oil seals, I managed to find a wider seal for my timing chain seal, which had a double seal lip, I think it was 10mm while the original one was 8mm. I can't really say for sure that it is better, but I just felt at the time that a double seal was better than a single one. Many of the oil seal suppliers have on-line catalogues that you can browse through.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeMansTragic View Post
    I think so, yes. I changed the engine and transaxle oils recently but the leak I'm getting is very dark oil. perhaps it is getting contaminated on the way out? not sure

It's good to know I can take the sector seal out easily, my workshop manual isn't specific.

Cheers
    Hi Tragic
    If the oil is dark then it is certainly the engine oil. But as a check do a smell test. Gearbox oil has a distinctive smell different to engine oil !
    Old engine oil seals can fail by loseing a chunk off the lip because of the high temperature and hardening with age. Then they leak badly. Engine oil seals like the rear main are usually made of better heat resistant material than ordinary industrial seals.
    Jaahn
    LeMansTragic likes this.

The last rear main I fitted was 1988. Not a drip since. It was a hydrodynamic seal, the first I'd seen.

the last seals I bought ex-France for timing cover and gear selector were double lip seals. Seem to work....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I wouldn't say "easily".... Getting that roll pin in and out is a bit challenging. Replacing it from under the car, with the rear casting lined up, gasket and sealant in place, and a narrow slot through which you align it and tap it in, while the sealant tries to drip, is character building. But it is straightforward. It'd be easier if you did it regularly but they last years and years so each time is a new challenge.

I made up a brass punch of the roll pin diameter to get it out.

BTW, use a new roll pin. Always....
    Does the front gearbox housing need to come off? I had a look yesterday and didn't find anything on the selector shaft.

Yes. You have to take off the front housing so you can slide out the selector shaft to fit the new seal. The roll pin is inside and holds that shaft onto the internal selector mechanism. Do you have a workshop manual?
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes. You have to take off the front housing so you can slide out the selector shaft to fit the new seal. The roll pin is inside and holds that shaft onto the internal selector mechanism. Do you have a workshop manual?
    Yeah I do.

Thread Information