As promised.

Frans.

Advertisement
    JohnW, Kim Luck and R8 Dream like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

Frans,
    You have hit the nail on the head! That is exactly what has been happening,the fork aft (front of car) face has been hitting the bellhousing thus restricting the travel. I actually had already fitted the half shell as per one of your old posts, and am able to confirm that I can now get full travel and engage (disengage the clutch. Interesting that you mention about a mm of freeplay which is what I have and was concerned this may not be enough.
    To fill in everyone reading this. I have had problems getting enough fork travel ( R8,1.4 Alpine motor,new clutch,cable and fork that has an extra 1/4" welded to the contact points)
    It was a very fine margin between disengaging and not i.e only about 1 1/2 turns on cable adjust. Fran's mod seems to be the fix and I think it allows for any wear that may have occurred at the bellhousing pivot.
    Been chasing this problem for a few weeks now and would like to thank everyone for their input. The project can now move ahead!
    Thanks Frans
    jaahn likes this.

Hi Brian,
    Glad it is fixed !!!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah! Thanks for your help also Ray

Good to have a solution to a problem I haven't yet had. Excellent idea Frans - I've often wondered about wear in the alloy pivot as the grease dies over time.

Thanks for posting.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi,

Brian has sent me a PM and that didn't allow me to attach a photo hence the short abrupt explanation thread with a photo. However he has explained the problem that occurred.

John, I don't know the reason but with normal standard and matched flywheels one shouldn't come across this issue ever, doesn't matter how much the bell housing is worn. I think it comes with chopping and changing and specially when lightening the flywheels and a lot of metal is removed. The facing where the pressure plate bolts onto moves back towards the engine and that is why the fork has to lean forward to reach the facing with the thrust bearing.

A golden rule that was taught to me as an Instrument apprentice calibrating mechanical instruments, is that for everything operated in a straight line by a cable such clutch or accelerator or gearbox/gearlever linkages and there is a center pivot point, then the actuating cable or link must be 90 degrees with the arm and it's pivot pin. So if that fork lies forward already before it is actuated then there will be issues, so from there you have to set the fork to lean backwards and then the cable can rotate that link through the 90 degree mark on its way to release the pressure plate.

Just a bit of useless info.

Frans.
    FIVEDOOR, Sunroof and Brianbcs like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    Frans,
    You have hit the nail on the head! That is exactly what has been happening,the fork aft (front of car) face has been hitting the bellhousing thus restricting the travel. I actually had already fitted the half shell as per one of your old posts, and am able to confirm that I can now get full travel and engage (disengage the clutch. Interesting that you mention about a mm of freeplay which is what I have and was concerned this may not be enough.
    To fill in everyone reading this. I have had problems getting enough fork travel ( R8,1.4 Alpine motor,new clutch,cable and fork that has an extra 1/4" welded to the contact points)
    It was a very fine margin between disengaging and not i.e only about 1 1/2 turns on cable adjust. Fran's mod seems to be the fix and I think it allows for any wear that may have occurred at the bellhousing pivot.
    Been chasing this problem for a few weeks now and would like to thank everyone for their input. The project can now move ahead!
    Thanks Frans
    Looks like Frans has come through with the goods again!

The value of this forum is priceless!

Angelo
    JohnW and Brianbcs like this.

Thanks Frans. Not useless at all!

I am in the process of changing slightly the position of the clutch actuation in my Renault 4CV, so that I can fit rear telescopic shock absorbers to replace the old Renault-made lever-action devices. My principal plan is to keep the clutch cable pulling the key lever at exactly 90 degrees. I have to move the lever, to clear the space where the shock absorber must go. In parallel, I am planning to move the mounting position for the end of the clutch cable, so that the cable comes out straight from the revised cable housing position and still pulls the lever at exactly 90 degrees to the shaft that it turns. This mechanism has a horizontal shaft that runs from a mounting on the chassis rail to the clutch operating fork.

Cheers
    Brianbcs likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information