Dauphine indicator stalk turn spring
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Frans

Thread: Dauphine indicator stalk turn spring

Default Dauphine indicator stalk turn spring

Hi everyone.
    I am in need of the return spring that connects to the indicator stalk and goes around the steering wheel shaft to return the indicator back to the off position. It is for a Renault Caravelle but the Dauphine has the same indicator stalk. I think the Renault 10 and possibly the Renault 8 has the same system.
    If anyone can help me with the part, please contact me.
    Thank you
    Mark

Advertisement

Mark,

If you find one then it is ok. If not, then use or look for one from an old rear crankshaft oil seal. Remove the little spring from the seal and with a small long nose the one end of the springs little coil can be bent 90 degrees and hook it onto the hook on the stalk. wrap it around once, give it a bit of tension and measure where to cut it. Cut a little longer and then go shorter until the correct tension is achieved with a little lubrication included, very thin oil such as WD 40 or similar.

I have found that it could sometimes be a good thing to disconnect the battery because of fiddling you might touch the live incoming lead with the spring that is earthed on the steering wheel and you might do some welding that wasn't needed.

Frans.
    JohnW, J-man, Sunroof and 1 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Good call there Frans.

This topic has come up in the past and our old mate Simon had an astonishing amount of data about different length springs for different RER cars of different years. Using Franz's method will work best.

Thank for the information.
    I will chase up an old rear crankshaft seal and have a go at making one.
    Frans and 59 Floride, you both need to document all the information you know about RER because the rest of us and the next generation will need that knowledge in the future. The steering wheel I got from 59 Floride for my Caravelle still looks great and has not cracked like to original.
    Mark

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I am not in the same league as Frans regarding RER knowledge, he could write several books I reckon. There is a huge knowledge base on AF among the grey set, yours for the asking.

I have interest in other Renos that aren't RER and still a mere grasshopper. Glad you enjoy your steering wheel Mark (black/black if I recall correctly).

Good luck with the blinker spring.

Thread Information