Clio 182
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Clio 182

Default Clio 182

The new Clio 182 goes on sale next month in NZ at the same price as the outgoing 172 model, price is NZ$37,990.00 + $650.00 dealer charges.

So hopefully we won't see a price increase here as the distributor is the same.

Only one spec will be available, so it's uncertain if the cup suspension option is or isn't included, although on past form usually the models here are well spec'd

The dealer I spoke to used to work in Aus and filled me in on what a rort dealer charges in Aus are.

In NZ you pay $650.00 ($585 Aus) and get a registered car with an equivalent of a pink slip inspection, the car has been cleaned, the radio tuned, the tyre pressures checked and that's it. He said they are delivered from France ready to go, nothing to do at this end.

Advertisement

In Aus you pay something over $3,000.00 for the same service except you also get compulsory 3rd party insurance, and you pay the government some stamp duty. Not such a good deal at all because the list price still includes the profit margin...

Tadpole

Default Clio 182

Any updates on the Clio 182 coming to Aus? I was jsut getting serious about buying a 2003 clio sport 2nd hand but may wait to see the new one. I would guess that prices would drop on the current model unless the 182 is much more expensive.

Tadpole

Hello All!

Does anyone know if there are any updates on the Clio 182 coming to Aus?

I called Renualt Australia this morning and they claimed they didnt know anything about a Clio 182.

The most I've been able to find is this: (scroll down a little)

http://www.nextcar.com.au/newsletter.5.120304.html

Thanks

EDIT

Just found a bunch of info in these very forums! (pays to search sometimes )

linkage: RenaultSport Clio 182
    Last edited by astro; 26th June 2004 at 11:34 AM.

I got sick of trying to find out when the 182 is finally due here, estimataes from dealers range from July through to next year. Renault australia couldn't shed any light on things either.....so I did the only sane thing and went out and spent way more money and bought a Golf R32.....absolutely awesome car, I would highly recommend one to anyone who's thinking about one.

Excellent choice Chris

Hi macquered,

How is the BX going? Hopefully very well. Did you get the uneven idle sorted out? I saw the pictures you posted, looked very sharp.

Chris

mate that is an absolute weapon you bought.... good choice. if i had a lazy 70k laying around i would buy one too... i think its a better car then the Audi S3, the R32's sound awesome the closest thing i have heard to their exhaust note is F360 with a sports system on it.

post pics of the golf

i still dont reckon we will see the 182 here for a long while(12months). Knowone even knows about it coming here. its not even in motor magazines' sectopm where they have their car releases. the only car that the dealers know that is coming out this year is the Megane Sport. i doubt they will release the 182 soon after the megane sport. they will space it out for maximum renault exposure i am sure.

Here's a crap picture of it taken the day we picked it up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clio 182-golf.jpg   Clio 182-golf2.jpg   Clio 182-int.jpg  
    Last edited by bx16valve; 28th June 2004 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    the only car that the dealers know that is coming out this year is the Megane Sport. i doubt they will release the 182 soon after the megane sport. they will space it out for maximum renault exposure i am sure.
    Any firm dates for the RS Megane?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by bx16valve
    I got sick of trying to find out when the 182 is finally due here, estimataes from dealers range from July through to next year. Renault australia couldn't shed any light on things either.....so I did the only sane thing and went out and spent way more money and bought a Golf R32.....absolutely awesome car, I would highly recommend one to anyone who's thinking about one.
    Now thats an interesting choice. I ordered one last year but didnt like it much when it arrived (ive had golfs before). I think I have talked before about why I wasnt keen on it. The primary question is how did you justify the $70K? I drove all the cars in that price range and I thought for that kind of money the 350Z track was somewhat better. You obviously didnt think so.........why? The RX8 was not considered either? Z4 2.5?

I heard from a sydney dealer yesterday that the 182 will be here in "3 months". Guess that puts it at Sep/Oct. That said, Im past waiting to know when its going to arrive. The big question noone seems to be able to answer is: are we going to get the cup suspension option, or will all the cars arrive here in some kind of standard config? It was meant to be July a while ago. Some people are still saying next year.
    I read somewhere that the Fiesta RS is going to be built to compete with new clio, gti180 etc. Due in the uk early-mid next year. Anyone know if ford will bring it here? Certainly looks the part, and will be 180bhp in production form.
    blacklotus99

2004 RenaultSport Clio 172

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Coupe

Hey guy's

I have to say Renault Australia is up to their old tricks, I remember when the RSClio cup cars were released they were all over the place when new shipments would arrive, dealers in Melbourne had sold out, did not know when new ones were coming, a test drive was impossible......

So my girlfriend bought a Golf GTI which was a similar price, I have to say these cars are solid, bigger than the clio and built far better, the finish is still way ahead of the RS clio's which seem cheap and tinny.

Of course this does not mean I hate RS clios as I'd love one, but I did notice the difference in finish and in the end the two cars are quite similar in many other ways, we could split hairs over seconds or bits of hp, but in the end it seems to me VW seem to have a consistent supply of cars, seem to know what is going on, they show the LHD R32 at the motorshows a year ahead and say when they will be here. And you can buy them unlike Renault here that seem to be disjointed in their future information, marketing information to dealers and the wishy washy approach to selling cars has not changed since they started here.

Maybe they need a new marketing manager or team that cares for the brand? they must be all worried about their jobs now that the poor sales figures have been produced, but then again we are a small market.

Anyhow I think you have got a great car bx16valve as I think the GTI is a great medium priced strong package, I can just imagine what the R32 is like ..... a high class weapon .....

Pity about the Clio RS 180 and RS Megane and the V6 Clio all currently avalible sports renaults OS that are not here :-), like my mum and dad driving around in a brand new Renault scenic in the UK 3 weeks ago, they loved the car but of course, thats right it's not here as well, oh and the megane cab and sports tourer are also not here, but hey theres always the first series megane cab in the show rooms

Maybe we will get the new renaults from china when they are made faster than the ones from france :-)
    "Partnership project for Renault and Dongfeng in China"

volker

Excellent problem solving!!

Hi macquered,

How is the BX going? Hopefully very well. Did you get the uneven idle sorted out? I saw the pictures you posted, looked very sharp.

Chris
    It's going OK. I've had to put a new clutch in and it has had a few cooling issues but I think they are mostly sorted now. I've learnt to keep one eye on the road and one on the temp guage......just incase

I'm a big R32 fan.....If I bump into you somewhere I might hit you up for a ride

OK, here goes....
    I love the clio 172, but having read everything I had about the 182 wasn't going to buy a 172. If someone at Renault had said the 182 will be here on such and such a date, would you like to place a deposit, what colour would you like?, would you like the cup suspension option? I would have probably bought one. However, no one could give me a date, no one could tell me the spec, and no one could tell me a price. I am over in Auckland next week for work so I will test drive a 182 there and let you know what they are like.

The reasons for the R32 purchase are many. It has the practicality of being a hatch, it has seats in the back that adults can fit into comfortably. It has an awesome driving position (I am 6'3" and never felt super comfortable in the renault, whereas in the golf you can get the perfect driving position. I got a great deal on the Golf despite it being a limited edition so the price was no where near $70K. The Nissan is too much drama and too impractical for what I need. The BMW Z4 is the same, plus my father has a 3.0l one anyway. Compared to a 147 GTA the build quality is better, the seats are better, you get leather, xenon lamps, metallic paint, etc etc all standard, plus it's 4 wheel drive (front wheel drive in practice, diverting up to 50%drive to the rear when slippage, wheel spin occurs). Sure it costs a lot for a golf but if you check resale values in other markets such as the UK where depreciation is savage it has retained ridiculously high resale values.

As an architect I love the design of the interior of the golf, understated with real alumnium detailing, the exterior is kind of low key, unless you like cars you would just assume its another golf, which is fine by me.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the car.

Tadpole

Default clio 182

The VW sounds like a great car, and VW's are known for their good fit and finish. I'm just a bit hesitant to spend that level of cash. I mean $63k over 3 years is $2k/month, and with a marginal tax rate nearly 50% I'd have to earn an extra $4k/month to finance that. That's a lotta weekends at my payrate. The attraction of the clio sport is getting a nice to drive car at mid-30's price. Another $5-10k already opens up some other possibilities.

What do people think about other cars comparable to the clio sp in this price range. With Golf under 35k you're looking at cars with 85kw power, and over 10 seconds to get to highway speeds. Even the GTi with turbo at $37k has only 110kw and around 8.5 secs to 100, and they're not made in Germany - So. Africa I think.

The price/preformance ratio of the clio is unbeatable. It is the classic case of diminshing returns as you spend more on a car. The same thing happens when you compare the R32 to a BMW M3. The R32 does most of what the M3 does for a fraction of the price. An M3 is a bargain when compared to a 911. A 911 is good value next to a 360 Modena...and so on.

So for an extra $30k what do you get in an R32 that you don't in a clio:
    an extra 2 cylinders.
    an extra 53 Kilowatts.
    an extra 120NM of torque
    3" larger wheels.
    bigger brakes.
    4WD
    Full leather interior.
    a six speed gearbox.
    cruise control.
    an umbrella. (yes really)
    cheaper insurance!!!

You also get VW calling you to see if you're interested in going to Eastern Creek to watch the R32's racing in the GTP races, and by the way, what size jacket do you wear? That's what makes you feel good about paying lots for a car, as opposed to beating your head against the wall trying to get anyone in Renault to tell you when the 182 is due out....

Tadpole

Very true.
    It goes the otehr direction too I guess. THE Clio sport is 50% dearer than the base clios, and those will get you around relatively well too. If money were no object it'd be hard to know where to stop. (Un)Fortunatly that's not my problem

1000+ Posts

cheaper insurance!!!

Cheaper???
    What prices did you get?

The Golf costs $1300 to insure, full comp. The quote for the renault from memory was $1400. both from AAMI

i pay $1032 full comp.

and am only 21 ( car dully insured with me, not parents)

AAMI

1000+ Posts

Lol Reno!

Me:
    NRMA: $1,030
    AAMI: $4,995
    Allianz: not till you're 30 Sir!

My name & i'm 24...

How do these guys work???

OK, here goes....
    I love the clio 172, but having read everything I had about the 182 wasn't going to buy a 172. If someone at Renault had said the 182 will be here on such and such a date, would you like to place a deposit, what colour would you like?, would you like the cup suspension option? I would have probably bought one. However, no one could give me a date, no one could tell me the spec, and no one could tell me a price.
    And this is precisely the point. Unfortunately we here in aus are so insignificant in terms of the global motor economy that very, very few manufacturers give a crap about australia.
    The fact is we barely buy enough cars for the euro manufacturers to bother importing them. I read a little while ago that the only car company in aus who has actually declared a profit is holden, and the profit was minute (I think around $1m, which is almost not worth mentioning in the scheme of things.) This was the first operating profit they had declared in aus for 30 odd years!
    And we wonder why the euro companies dont give a stuff about us! All of the majors run at a loss here, some bigger than others. Renault has always lost money here.
    The R32 is a really good example. In the UK, you couldnt buy one. Put your name on the list and wait. They even brought out a five door to try to fill the demand. In Aus, VW brought in 200 cars. They cant sell them. I wouldnt be suprised if they had 50 cars in the warehouse they cant sell. Huge discount time again. VW would be thinking "Oh, I wonder if we should bring in another performance car? Yeah right.
    The same goes for Renault. The Clio V6 will never come here for the same reason. Who will buy it for $70-$80K? Yeah sure, I will along with some of you other guys on this forum, and thats about it. If they could shift 50 of those cars in aus it would be a miracle, and a complete waste of money. The cost to Renault of getting ADR compliance for those 50 would be several times the profit on the sale of the cars, not including the shipping costs etc etc. Why would they bother??, To keep sports car drivers like us happy?? You must be joking.
    The sad fact is that Renault doesnt give a stuff about the australian market or its customers for the simple fact that its a very dark money pit. If I put my business hat on, I wouldnt be here at all. Kudos to Renault France that they are prepared to keep throwing money away in aus, it certainly keeps us here happy. So when I get my new 182 with the cup suspension (hint, hint) the grin on my face will be a touch wider than it is now.
    blacklotus99

2004 RenaultSport Clio 172

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Coupe

Tadpole

Aus Economy is small so total payoff is small, but costs are also small. There is a bit of corporate culture in play, too though. Renault also made stints into the US just to pull out again. Renault is not in the US at this time at all.

Whats the deal with comparing an RS Clio with a Golf anyway?

These are not even in the same size class - you should be talking Megane II/Golf shouldn't you? Clio is "Polo" size.

It just seems a little strange to be comparing the two. Sort of like saying "I like the Vectra, but a Commodore has so much more"

I say lets wait for the RS Megane and have a look at price/performance then.

Oh, and I read recently that the "best" price/performance available in Australia at the moment (well when it was written) was actually the Lotus Elise. Not that it fits in with what is being discussed, I just thought it was an interesting observation!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Australia at the moment (well when it was written) was actually the Lotus Elise. Not that it fits in with what is being discussed, I just thought it was an interesting observation!
    not surprised, its super car performance, sports car money, best driver's car with out forking out a lot of money and/or install a roll cage. Its a civilised Seven.
    Karl
    -----------------

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information