• 1 Post By dimistyle
  • 1 Post By dimistyle
  • 2 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By dimistyle
  • 2 Post By frenchtranstech
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: Just another DPO day.

Default Just another DPO day.

When you try to do a u-turn in your friend's driveway, and your DPO decides reverse is no longer an option!

Advertisement

Several attempts at reverse, completely no drive, each time edging closer to the plant pots! Following a 20km drive, with a steep hill climb towards the end, on a 35 day, and the transmission fluid was probably just too hot. We had gone there for a cuppa and a chat, so just parked it, ran the engine in neutral for a minute or so to circulate fluid, and turned off. Wife stressing.
    After 2 hours, chocked the front wheels, started up, and car reversed out, drove up that steep driveway and drove home without further problem, like nothing had happened.
    Just another entry in the DPO journal.
    Attached Thumbnails
    IMG_20190210_01reduced.jpg IMG_20190210_02reduced.jpg IMG_20190210_03reduced.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sunroof likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I agree with your theory on the oil temperature. My DP0 used to drop into limp mode occasionally on hot days, usually on long highway runs but never had problems with reverse. Wasn't a problem in city driving either, just highway crusing.
    The transmission cooling set up might be fine for Europe but I believe is marginal in the Australian summer heat. Probably just okay when new but they're getting on now so there's likely a build up of crap in the heat exchanger reducing the cooling performance making marginal drop to inadequate.
    I took it to the workshop and asked them to check the transmission cooling as I thought it was overheating.
    Their solution was to remove the engine thermostat so the engine (and subsequently the transmission) coolant didn't get as hot.
    Crude but it worked, haven't had a issue for a few years now. The motor takes a while to warm up and rarely gets past 1/4 on the temperature gauge but if this is going to keep the transmission going that's fine with me.
    (Now that I've jinxed it, the next time I drive the Scenic the little orange gearbox light will no doubt light up for me).

Cheers
    RTT
    Sunroof, Fordman and Kenfuego like this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Ah yes the AL4 in its Reno form. I have new thicker heat exchanger installed on Carlo5 and been running well even on long highway and city driving.

The crud and metal filings in the old one was chocka full, so I also believe this is probably an item to replace at every 100km.

If installing the thicker one the bolt also needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Fordman likes this.

Background to this happening:

DPO Auto Trans and CLIP Diagnosis

just updated the old thread.

Cheers
    Fordman.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Ah yes the AL4 in its Reno form. I have new thicker heat exchanger installed on Carlo5 and been running well even on long highway and city driving.
    The crud and metal filings in the old one was chocka full, so I also believe this is probably an item to replace at every 100km.
    If installing the thicker one the bolt also needs to be replaced.
    Interesting, and a good solution. Can you expand on the "thicker heat exchanger", please? I understand what it is, but is the thicker one a genuine optional part, or perhaps you can remember brand name or where yours was purchased from.

I have found many versions of the adaptor which replaces the cooler, and has fittings for an air/oil cooler, but not for a larger cooler.

Thanks for info.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Service box will give you your replacement part number which will probably be the genuine 21mm and later unit 32mm thick unit. But there where replacement ones fron Europe that had 40mm from memory
    You need to purchase the longer bolt to suit the unit you buy.

Fordman likes this.

Service box will give you your replacement part number which will probably be the genuine 21mm and later unit 32mm thick unit. But there where replacement ones fron Europe that had 40mm from memory
    You need to purchase the longer bolt to suit the unit you buy.

Thanks.
    As best I can access the Renault cooler, it measures approx 30mm thickness at the edge with the coolant connections (so could be 32 overall when removed).
    So a 40mm unit would be advantageous if I can source one, plus it would be free of any gunk build up, which appears to be a common factor, so might be doubly effective.
    This would also keep the vehicle very standard (which doesn't really matter at 15 years old. I suppose).
    An option worth thinking about.

Cheers.

(For my future reference - the heat exchanger has both coolant outlets pointing straight/parallel/vertical from the top edge, does not have a bend in one outlet as most pics seem to show for various models).
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Ah Chris hope the transmission holds up.

I do have a couple of "slippery" solenoids that were modified by A/F French car tech, unfortunately our Megane DPO transmission had collapsed and needed a complete rebuild a few years back (still going strong now) will keep them for you to pick up on the next family visit to Victoria or perhaps we should home deliver them to you.

Ken
    JohnW and Fordman like this.

https://www.newco-autoline.de/index....r=O-COO-DPO-42

This is the 42mm version and has the bolt part number.
    When I contacted them previously they told me ALLTRANZ in Sydney is there distributor in AU. There's also a crowd in the UK selling them on Fleabay.
    There's also a lot of listings on Aliexpress but you need to be very specific on what you are buying so be careful.
    Fordman likes this.

When I contacted them previously they told me ALLTRANZ in Sydney is there distributor in AU. There's also a crowd in the UK selling them on Fleabay.
    There's also a lot of listings on Aliexpress but you need to be very specific on what you are buying so be careful.
    2.0 litre has a thicker cooler to 1.6, 307 soft top has the thickest style
    dimistyle and Fordman like this.

Thanks for the info, I have decided to go down the route of the 40mm heat exchanger as an economic and preferable method to improve the cooling by about 25% plus more if the old one is partially blocked.

I have gone direct to One Stop Gearbox Shop in UK, the direct price is less than shown on Ebay for the same place, may be because no VAT is applied to Australian order. A$210 for cooler, banjo bolt and freight. Genuine Renault parts - supposedly.

Will advise results after fitment, may be a couple of months due to other pressing jobs to do.

Cheers.
    dimistyle likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Keep us all infomed and yes One Stop helps a lot of Aussie customers with any required transmission part. They deliver fast as well.

Thread Information