Hello from California
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marbroman
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger

Thread: Hello from California

Default Hello from California

Anyone in OZ that can connect me or direct me to anyone selling used or rebuilt 1,289 engines. I ahve a friend over here in need of one straight away.Cheers

Advertisement

I would contact the North American Renault Owners Club in the first instance, but I would have thought Renault 5's may be a suitable source for engines over there. Not sure of the Renault 12 was ever released over there but they would also be a potential source of engines.

Marty McFalls was president of that club previously and was a member here. Not sure if he is still active. Someone may know his username and be able to check perhaps.

You don't state what it is for, so we can't really help if it will fit in the intended vehicle.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Yeah, the R12 was released over there.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks! Already done that. Vehicle type wouldn't help because it is for a Mexican license built Alpine A 110, which originally had a 688-02 engine (1,108 cc) that is long gone. Sometime during the history of this little car the owner replaced the 688-02 with a Mexican type 810 (1,289 cc) unit. That has finally bit the dust. The current owner wants to put the larger unit in its place, so another 1,289 cc unit would do and we know it fits the engine bay and matches the gearbox.

Just out of curiosity, would a type 807 (used in R16 TS) or a type 821 or type 841/843 fit into the engine bay of the Dinalpin A 110 and match the gearbox?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by marbroman View Post
    Thanks! Already done that. Vehicle type wouldn't help because it is for a Mexican license built Alpine A 110, which originally had a 688-02 engine (1,108 cc) that is long gone. Sometime during the history of this little car the owner replaced the 688-02 with a Mexican type 810 (1,289 cc) unit. That has finally bit the dust. The current owner wants to put the larger unit in its place, so another 1,289 cc unit would do and we know it fits the engine bay and matches the gearbox.

Just out of curiosity, would a type 807 (used in R16 TS) or a type 821 or type 841/843 fit into the engine bay of the Dinalpin A 110 and match the gearbox?

Thanks again
    The larger 807 would fit but you need the input shaft and bell housing to make it match up , and than you need to build a engine support system for the block because the 807 engines where mounted different . The other problem also is if there would be adequate clearance for the water pump at the bell housing side of the engine unless you used a Feugo head that has the water pump on the opposite end of the head . The Fuego heads in the USA should be plentiful since they do not easily work on the Lotus Europia cars in fact they would probably trade heads the 807 style for a Fuego style !

The simpler easier route if you want to increase cc size is using the Alliance 1397 engine the rear engine mounts are already their and if you use the R5 flywheel and oil pan the motor would almost be a complete swap without all the added modifications .

Just a thought ??

Manic GT

The R12's sold in the US had a 1647cc motor, not the 810 sold just about everywhere else.
    It's the same motor that was fitted to the Aussie-spec R18.
    So if your want a 1289cc the US R12 is not your answer.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

Quote Originally Posted by marbroman View Post

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic GT View Post
    The larger 807 would fit but you need the input shaft and bell housing to make it match up , and than you need to build a engine support system for the block because the 807 engines where mounted different . The other problem also is if there would be adequate clearance for the water pump at the bell housing side of the engine unless you used a Feugo head that has the water pump on the opposite end of the head . The Fuego heads in the USA should be plentiful since they do not easily work on the Lotus Europia cars in fact they would probably trade heads the 807 style for a Fuego style !

The simpler easier route if you want to increase cc size is using the Alliance 1397 engine the rear engine mounts are already their and if you use the R5 flywheel and oil pan the motor would almost be a complete swap without all the added modifications .

Just a thought ??

Manic GT
    The 841 (non cross flow) & 843 (cross flow) engines also fit in, these engines have the water pump and alternator at the opposite end of the engine to what the 807 engines.

You will also have to do what Manic GT has described to make these engines mount up in the back of a Dinalpine.

Some people have also fitted the Fuego 2 litre engine to the A110's.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Why has the current engine bit the dust?
    Given they are a wet sleeve engine and fairly easily rebuilt, couldn’t you get the existing engine rebuilt over there?
    Jacques rear engine Renault parts (also in California) should be able to help with the parts and advice I would’ve thought?
    KB

California !!!!

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!

R5 Alpine Motor for Nauli's A110 !!!

Surely a R12 motor from Mexico is easy to get, but the Alliance 1400cc is the real answer.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Marvin McFalls of ROCNA is still there. PM me if you want to contact him.

Rumour has it that Jacques is retiring but do try him all the same.

I can't add to the advice already given!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks to everyone that helped out and replied. Jacques in El Cajon came though with a very clean 1,289 block (810-06). This will do nicely!
    JohnW likes this.

Good that rumours of Jacques' retirement are exaggerated. You ought to see what else he has that you might need in the future though....

Seriously, remove the plugs and get into the main oil gallery and offshoots from it and clean them to death! They always have abrasive deposits that are unstable and can cause havoc with a newly built engine. I've just cleaned an engine and was amazed by how much filth I got out of the oilways, even the rocker shafts.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks for the great advice! Will do! The last block was sabotaged though. Turned out to be valve lapping compound! I can't believe what some people will get up to!

1000+ Posts

I have a complete one. It has a bit of a service history, a head recondition, and other work done in 2009 but little use since then. I recently removed it from car and compression tested (185, 190, 190, 200 psi) before removal. Freight could be the killer but I want little for it.

All the best best with the project.

Peter
    JohnW likes this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Thread Information