R17 for sale ... maybe
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: R17 for sale ... maybe

Default R17 for sale ... maybe

I spotto a R17 amongst a bunch of oldies for sale on Gumtree. I'm guessing it maybe for sale since many of the vehicles are listed for sale by the same seller

Advertisement

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lily...con/1207797395

R17.JPG
    cheers,

John

Good investigation John
    J-man likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Hope the Renault's roof is better than the Foulcan…...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

I enquired after this r17. Itís for sale. He says itís complete and in ďgood condition with no rustĒ, is a TL of Ď74ish era... and can be had for $1500.
    Shoji, COL, bowie and 1 others like this.

Bloody bargain....
    bowie likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

So many old Renaults, so little shed space, so many kids to still put through school. Did you see that love!y R12 wagon in Ballarat last week on Gumtree? Didn't last long when they knocked it down to $1000. I tried to convince the wife it was going to be more reliable in the long term than her Golf.
    Didn't get to far with that, but she hasn't had the Golf refuse to accelerate for her yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 3G using aussiefrogs mobile app
    J-man likes this.

yeah someone in vic getit already.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah. Somebody will likely pay somewhere near what he’s asking for the xe (at least half anyway)... the Renault will probably sit there until it does have serious rust and isn’t worth saving.. I’ve saved a few of these things from the crushers that have been in very useable condition... but when it comes to moving them on there are many people who want to talk about how they would take it on, if only it wasn’t so far away, so much money to spend, if the wife wasn’t stopping them, if they didn’t have so many other cars.... I had to dispose of an extremely good Renault 15 that was a half finished project (that I’d saved from the crusher) a couple of years ago and had so many people show interest.... but even when I offered it as a complete non running car FREE didn’t have anybody commit to it. In the end I saw no positive future from having it sit outside for an extended period and needed the space so broke it up for parts and the very good shell ended up at the crushers. I sold brakes, suspension, RUST FREE guards, RUST FREE doors and still have a lot of spares for my own car, but would have preferred to pass it on to somebody who would use it. There are many similar stories.. a few months ago there was a green dry stored 17tl that was offered very very cheaply that took months to move on to somebody who will do something with it.
    This week I’ve agreed to pay More than the going rate for an old Renault that has a good body but mechanical issues, and will have a 1500KM round trip to go and collect it next week then an engine to rebuild. If I look at it as my time and cash in dollar and cent value, in the current market, I’m crazy for taking it on (there’s a HJ GTS on eBay at the moment that although being 10 times the price and needing a full restoration, would be easier to justify) .. but if I look at it that in a few years when I’m looking for a good original rust free example of the particular model I won’t want to have passed it up.
    I really understand the appeal and the increase in value and interest in something like a HK-hG-HG Holden or a torana or say an XP- XC falcon, they’re kind of iconic and Have a different sort of appeal... But it makes me wonder, when old corollas, celicas, Mazda’s, and even Mitsubishi’s are bringing quite reasonable money, are our French variants of this era and class of car forgotten.

He says it hasn't been started in 9 years.. Fresh battery, a bit of fuel I bet it would start without much effort
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Angru, I reckon it's all about the personalities. Ie there were no personalities of interest (outside of Bob Watson) that thrashed these things around the place to make them interesting.

Still, respect your journeys in saving and using the bits you can (and a thank you again for that booster and cylinder )

The 807 engine in my A310 started easily after some fresh fluids. It'd sat for 10-12 years!

I anoint you Saint Angru, patron saint of abandoned Renaults.
    David Cavanagh, bowie and J-man like this.

1000+ Posts

If it hasn't been run for 9 years the fuel in the tank will be sludge, and there is no drain plug. So a bugger to get clean again. The brakes and rubber hoses and tyres will be stuffed. But interiors except top of back seat are usually in good condition. Motors go for ever well almost, gearboxes if Castrol VMX 80 is used are also long lived but do go through seals which are available at local bearing shop. Drive shafts are available overseas and R12 will fit.

Having said that I love 15/17's but have too many now with another 17TS waiting its turn to be rebuilt. These are great cars and 17's in particular with front and rear windows down look really sporty. The appearance from the front always gets comments about how great mine looks. Please some one save this car and cherrish it.

17TS's that need paint and all the above but no rust go for about $500 - 600. My last TL cost $100 but needed full restoration including rust. But the reconditioned motor was with it. I think $1500 is only ok if car is a rust free runner that perhaps needs some TLC. I don't count small rust patches in doors and front guards as a problem as they are an easy fix and don't stop a roadworthy in QLD as they are not structural.

Fellow Frogger!

Sunroof... next time you have a 17TS for $500-600 please let me know .
    David Cavanagh likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    Sunroof... next time you have a 17TS for $500-600 please let me know .
    No no no they're the ones I buy.

The $500 car is what I currently drive. A paint job, some rewiring where there had been a small fire. Although the engine was good I had a lot of trouble with it. Mostly found that the exhaust was intermittently getting blocked. Causing poor running or not starting. I had a new set of points going HR. Also it had been fitted with twin DCOE Webers in place of the injection. After a lot of hastle I drilled additional progression holes and that problem was solved. I did get the seats redone free by my neighbour as he owed me. But mostly they were ok really. All new rubber hoses and tyres. It has just turned over 100,000 original kilometres. I goes really well but is still and old car. My grandkids call it the noisy car because hot day windows open, they are used to modern airconditioned cars.

The $600 car needs a paint job and perhaps the computer system looked at, or perhaps twin Webers fitted. Although I would like to keep the injection. The engine is unknown at this stage. Of course new brakes, tyres and the usual hoses. No rust except a bit of surface rust on the suspension components. Scheduled for work when I turn 83.
    21571, bowie, J-man and 2 others like this.

And here it is! I like it. It looks a hell of a lot better than the brown 17TL I stripped for parts.

Renault 17 coupe,
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lily...nt=app_android

Price: $1,500
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm ??

Hi Without wishing to hijack the thread, it is interesting to look at the values this guy has placed on the cars and parts he has. He has a front cut from an Torana for $950 and not even good condition ? A Camira for $3500, more than twice the 17. And lots of other overpriced rubbish to my eye !!JaahnPS the forum is still not running well for me. Cheers to the moderators.

What's also interesting for Aussiefrogs, is that no one has piped up with

"Ahhhh so thats where my old 17 ended up!"
    Austria Wild and Shoji like this.

Iíve got a 17TS you can have for $20k. Probably spent twice that over the resto process. Awesome car though.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    angru and vivid like this.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

344002km's, she's had a nice life. Well, maybe, judging by the green "P" in the window...

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    I’ve got a 17TS you can have for $20k. Probably spent twice that over the resto process. Awesome car though.

Don't say that because I'm silly enough to buy it (either me or Angru) and you'll be regretting it everytime you see it. Just like the 12 you sold.
    vivid likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Make me an offer Dave.

There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Tadpole

I inquired about the car at around eleven today and Mick told me the R17 has been sold ...

Well the next 48hrs will fun guessing who snapped it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Geopug2 View Post
    I inquired about the car at around eleven today and Mick told me the R17 has been sold ...
    Nice one! I like the colour, almost as much as orange suits the 15/17.

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Iíve got a 17TS you can have for $20k. Probably spent twice that over the resto process. Awesome car though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Don't say that because I'm silly enough to buy it (either me or Angru) and you'll be regretting it everytime you see it. Just like the 12 you sold.
    Agreed $20k sounds very reasonable for a sorted and restored R17TS...

I've added pictures for the archives...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vivid; 11th February 2019 at 10:35 PM.
    bowie, Sunroof and jaahn like this.