• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By J-man
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: NSW write off rort.

Default NSW write off rort.

This can't be legal, certainly not ethical.

NSW and there silly write off law, this Koleos with only 36,000 kms and got caught in a hail storm. Stupid laws saw that this car can never go back on the road because it's a stat write off.

Someone has lost there car for good and will probably have to borrow money to buy another one and the car they've looked after will now be dismantled.

Great for the wrecker but just an economic rip off. This should not be allowed to happen.
    I don't mind it being written off if that's what the owner wants but I strongly object to it being a stat.

Advertisement

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-s...agon/202675527
    jaahn, J-man and SilverGTi_6 like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Crazy. That's better than my wife's Mondeo after years of shopping centre car parks.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I guess there could be some other damage that was possibly there before the hailstorm or maybe the owner wanted to cash in and move on.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th February 2019 at 06:55 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Over here, I believe you need three damaged structural areas to be a stat write off. Where's the safety risk in repairing this car? Seems ludicrous to me too.
    cheers,

John

I looked this up because we have a fairly modest second car that was caught in the hail storm. There is an exemption from the stat write off rules that allow a car to be repaired and re-registered if the damage was just hail, but it looks like you have to apply for consent to re-register and the car does have to be actually repaired to industry standards. see: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/reg...emptcategories

I too think this is a complete rort. Where is the safety risk in a hail damaged car staying on the road? Indeed, I think there is a big safety advantage in allowing these cars to stay on the road. I have a niece just getting her licence. She will only be able to afford an old car with much lower safety standards than our current model Lancer that's likely to be written off. Surely its safer for her to be allowed to have our low mileage 5 year old car with a few dents than force her to have the old bomb that the same money will buy without hail damage.

If it looks like the car is going to be written off I will be trying to see if we can get it cash settled instead to see if that keeps it out of the system and I can then give it to my niece.

Mind you - it's a month and a half after the event and we're still waiting to get the car assessed.
    Last edited by Richard W; 4th February 2019 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Over here, I believe you need three damaged structural areas to be a stat write off. Where's the safety risk in repairing this car? Seems ludicrous to me too.
    Who knows? Maybe they claimed it has unknown engine damage. I was told by an insurance company they write expensive cars off for that if they are stolen and recovered with no body damage.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

My wife's C5 was written off due to hail damage. It was recorded as a stat write off however hail is exempt. She was paid out and kept the car for a small fee and she reinsured it third party only. We live in NSW btw.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    This can't be legal, certainly not ethical.

NSW and there silly write off law, this Koleos with only 36,000 kms and got caught in a hail storm. Stupid laws saw that this car can never go back on the road because it's a stat write off.

Someone has lost there car for good and will probably have to borrow money to buy another one and the car they've looked after will now be dismantled.

Great for the wrecker but just an economic rip off. This should not be allowed to happen.
    I don't mind it being written off if that's what the owner wants but I strongly object to it being a stat.

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-s...agon/202675527
    I totally agree, David, there appears to be no major structural damage, everything is "skin deep" and apart from a bit of bog on the front pillars the no paint dent man could probably fix the car easily. The problem is simply resale value, totally undeserved by Kolei that are pretty well bullet proof......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

It doesn't really matter how great the expense is to fix the vehicle. If it is a great expense, that is the definition of an economic repairable write off. Stat write off is supposed to be for vehicles with multiple structural area damage potentially causing a safety risk if repaired through the wrong channels.
    David Cavanagh likes this.
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

There are some misunderstandings here. In NSW a written off vehicle has the registration cancelled for good, except for repairable hail damage, but in that case the person wishing to re-register the car had to have owned it for 4 weeks before the hail event.

Even then it isn't simple with paperwork to do and assessments to be made, and it's up to the government if you may proceed. More red tape follows, with licensed person approval of the repair. Finally, you'll have an unregistered vehicle and have to go through the whole inspection and certification process, with official certificates in hand.

Yes, it stinks.

Fellow Frogger

That's what happens when you just leave the process entirely to the insurer and risk running with 'market value'. The pre-Christmas hail event in greater Sydney region apparently affected over 80,000 cars. Insurers will immediately write off the marginal cases to clear the repair backlog. It was a big event as hail events go and what looks like overflow parking on grass for Pickles likely tells that story.

You may recall we covered this in some detail after the Feb 2017 Sydney hail event here:
    Hail damaged C5 potential write off
    My own write-off Citroen still resembles a golf ball and does just fine on 3rd party property.

The repairable write-off / salvage auction situation was banned in NSW because of all the dodgy operators making one car from bits of two or three (badly) or jamming rags where an airbag should be etc.. It was simply to stop unsuspecting consumers being caught out.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

We looked at buying a C5 from a used car dealer on the Gold Coast once. Before flying there to inspect the vehicle, I happened to Google the VIN number and found that it had previously been sold by the Citroen Dealer as hail damaged (and cheaper than what we were going to pay). Prior to discovering that, we had a vehicle inspection report done that indicated “Vehicle shows no signs of body repairs, paint thickness is consistent with factory original thickness and seams and welds appear original. Minor chips and scuffs; recommend good polish and buff - see pics”.
    Perhaps a permanent record of hail damage, available to all, would be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    That's what happens when you just leave the process entirely to the insurer and risk running with 'market value'. The pre-Christmas hail event in greater Sydney region apparently affected over 80,000 cars. Insurers will immediately write off the marginal cases to clear the repair backlog. It was a big event as hail events go and what looks like overflow parking on grass for Pickles likely tells that story.

You may recall we covered this in some detail after the Feb 2017 Sydney hail event here:
    Hail damaged C5 potential write off
    My own write-off Citroen still resembles a golf ball and does just fine on 3rd party property.

The repairable write-off / salvage auction situation was banned in NSW because of all the dodgy operators making one car from bits of two or three (badly) or jamming rags where an airbag should be etc.. It was simply to stop unsuspecting consumers being caught out.
    This is why the Victorian system works, It's either an economic write off or a stat depending on the damage. If a car is repaired the VIV inspectors are so fussy and expensive that the car has to be as good as new before they pass it. For example if it was written off because of rear damage but had a previous insurance repair to the front that repair often has to be redone to pass VIV standards. These day's if it's passed a VIV it's as good as new.
    jaahn likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I guess there could be some other damage that was possibly there before the hailstorm or maybe the owner wanted to cash in and move on.
    Rarely up to the owners to make that decision. It’s all in the hands of the insurer. In this case it is likely it was an economic write off - ie would cost more to repair than the insurer felt it was worth, but yes, our state laws are not friendly when it comes to write offs.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Hi '
    Yes the car business and the insurers in NSW 'got at' the gov a few years back to get this through. After all it is our money they are throwing away and forcing us to spend more to replace them. What they should have done to solve any perceived problem of rebirthing, is funding some police action to jail a few of them. Never the preferred action for some reason. And the RTA putting in a proper transparent 'log book' system that shows all ownership at all times including the trade and any un-registered time accounted for or logged.

Some months back I was at a local auction looking at a tractor that was written off, just a broken 3ptl main lug. Also offered were a dozen or more motor bikes that were all written off. Some were somewhat damaged but most were just lightly damaged and could be repaired by myself in a day or so with bolt on parts and a bit of respray. Not old slappers but what i would call new bikes, from scooters to Harleys. By the way almost all had P plates on. They all sold and bought what I though was way too much money, say 30-50% new value. When I questioned a person on the rational behind this they suggested it was buyers who would ship them overseas and sell them ?? Great to know that someone gets the value that we miss out on
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 5th February 2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post

[...]

Great to know that someone gets the value that we miss out on
    Jaahn
    Yeah, but it may not be who you think it is.

The real profit is made by the exporters who buy low and sell high.

Thread Information