fuego fuel
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: fuego fuel

Default fuego fuel

The other day, I was buggered if I'd pay $1.20 a litre for optimax so I put in some of the cheapest fuel. The difference was unexpected. When I floor it, no smoke unlike the optimax and the car Idles smother.On the down side, the roar from the pod filter is tame compared to optimax and the motor will run for a second after taking the key out. I am yet to report on the fuel economy.

Advertisement

Administrator

As a Fuego has less compression than my old bicycle pump, the lack of difference is unsuprising.

If your car is running on (pre ignition), it means that the solenoid on the side of the carb is stuffed (this should cut Fuel when ya turn the ignition off)...

BTW-what speed is your car idling at???

My solenoid has been ummm.....modified (open all the time ) for several years and it never runs on...

My car idles at about 800rpm when it's hot and off choke.....

I'm pretty sure that the solenoid thingy is doing something as when I un-plug it,The motor quickly dies. Regarding idle revs,if the needles of the speedo/tacho hadnt warped heavely and fouled on the face ,and if I hadn't pulled the dash apart and tried to fix them,and if I hadn't pulled them off and lost the calibration, then I might be able to say 'Idles at 1200' with some degree of certainty.Of course I did all those things and now drive very nervously past speed cameras,and can only say 'Idles at 1200 rpm,I think.'
    I know that is rather high, but at lower speeds,it wants to launch itself out of the engine bay!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I'm pretty sure that the solenoid thingy is doing something as when I un-plug it,The motor quickly dies. Regarding idle revs,if the needles of the speedo/tacho hadnt warped heavely and fouled on the face ,and if I hadn't pulled the dash apart and tried to fix them,and if I hadn't pulled them off and lost the calibration, then I might be able to say 'Idles at 1200' with some degree of certainty.Of course I did all those things and now drive very nervously past speed cameras,and can only say 'Idles at 1200 rpm,I think.'
    I know that is rather high, but at lower speeds,it wants to launch itself out of the engine bay!
    From the sound of it, your car has the problem most Fuego's have. The idle is not set properly and/or the solenoid jet on the RHS of the carb (looking from the front) is blocked or jammed shut.

To set the idle you HAVE to follow the correct procedure or it will idle like shit and have a flat spot between the idle and primary throttle circuits (and use ALOT more fuel)

If you don't have a WS manual, PM me and I'll let ya know the correct method....

BTW - I can have my car (220K) happily idling smoothly at 600 RPM if I want to.....

Happy Fuegoing

Administrator

Just on a side note, 2 things,
    1. does your auto choke work properly??
    2. mid 80's Volvo (the old style shape 240??? or similar) has needles which fit quite well....

I'm not sure if the choke is working or not. The thing that advances the throttle a bit,with a linkage about 40mm,seems to work. and I'm not sure about solenoid jet. should I remove and clean?.
    Excuse my ignorance,but what does it mean to 'PM' someone.?
    You sound like you have seen my cars symptoms many times before.I would greatly apreciate any help in regards to basic carb tuning.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I'm not sure if the choke is working or not. The thing that advances the throttle a bit,with a linkage about 40mm,seems to work. and I'm not sure about solenoid jet. should I remove and clean?.
    Excuse my ignorance,but what does it mean to 'PM' someone.?
    You sound like you have seen my cars symptoms many times before.I would greatly apreciate any help in regards to basic carb tuning.
    If the car fast idles (about 1500 rpm) when started from cold, the Auto choke is probably working.

Quite often if the choke unit is not bled properly, the choke will stay on and the Fuel economy will suffer severly...

A PM - is a Private Message.

Just click on the user name you wish to PM and a screen with that users profile will come up. Simply click send "user name" a private message, and you can send a message through Aussie Frogs.

With regards to carb tuning, you can only adjust the idle (mixture/volume)

Go to this thread -Fuego Carb Adjustments
    for more info on adjusting the carb on your car.

Regards,

Richard Vandermeer

Thread Information