Trafic transmission problems on hot days
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Trafic transmission problems on hot days

Tadpole

Default Trafic transmission problems on hot days

2008 Renault Trafic diesel with 6speed semi auto transmission. Owned since new, 220,000 kms and all services done as per log book.

problem has occurred only on hot days after an hour or so of highway driving. After exiting the highway and slowing right down to take a corner, the first thing noticed is the transmission slips into neutral. After putting it back into auto mode it behaves erratically, switching over to manual and not shifting gears. If i pull over and turn van off for 30 seconds or so and start again the transmission behaves as normal for a very short time then starts same problem again. Whenever it’s happened, I’ve been able to limp home and after the van has completely cooled down it is fine with no problems at all. I have done the same drive on cooler days with no issues, it only occurs on hot days. When the problems are occurring the transmission warning light is displayed on the dash. The light turns off whenever the van is turned off and comes back on when it starts to act erratically. When transmission is working properly, there are no whining sounds and all gear shifts are smooth.

any thoughts as to cause of problem?

Advertisement
    Last edited by Aussieo1; 27th January 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussieo1 View Post
    2008 Renault Trafic diesel with 6speed semi auto transmission. Owned since new, 220,000 kms and all services done as per log book.

problem has occurred only on hot days after an hour or so of highway driving. After exiting the highway and slowing right down to take a corner, the first thing noticed is the transmission slips into neutral. After putting it back into auto mode it behaves erratically, switching over to manual and not shifting gears. If i pull over and turn van off for 30 seconds or so and start again the transmission behaves as normal for a very short time then starts same problem again. Whenever it’s happened, I’ve been able to limp home and after the van has completely cooled down it is fine with no problems at all. I have done the same drive on cooler days with no issues, it only occurs on hot days. When the problems are occurring the transmission warning light is displayed on the dash. The light turns off whenever the van is turned off and comes back on when it starts to act erratically. When transmission is working properly, there are no whining sounds and all gear shifts are smooth.

any thoughts as to cause of problem?
    I have no idea what the problem is because it could have a myriad of causes, some of which may easily become terminal if you don't seek Professional help. Who or where is not important but an early computer diagnosis might save you the cost of a replacement or rebuilt transmission?
    jaahn and JohnW like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Yes I agree that getting a scanner to read out the faults stored in the memory should tell you something about what has happened. Any time the fault light comes on, the cause and some other background information is stored in the memory. You may need a factory scan tool to properly read this information and a good mechanic to interpret the cause of the problem. I would say the dealer is the best place.
    jaahn

Thread Information