R12 steering rack query..
  • Register
  • Help

Default R12 steering rack query..

Hi there

A friend has a 79 Virage with really sloppy steering and she's been told it's the rack. I have a nice rack (yeah baby) from an earlier 12 at home (75 ish model I think) and I'm wondering if they are interchangeable??

Advertisement

Thanks

Ed.

Check the flector first (rubber disc thingy connecting steering column to the rack)
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

The flector rarely wears, especially enough to cause play. Play comes from the universal under the dash, or the tie rod/rack end rubber bushes on either end of the rack. That is the side to side slop in the steering, then there is the anti rattle bush on the LHS of the rack, but that doesn't affect play. Just noise over rough surfaces.

Start with those before stuffing around replacing the rack, and if the rack is worn, mark it exactly for replacement, otherwise you will have a devil of a time sorting the rack height.

1000+ Posts

Ed, by the way, Caravelle (98909061) has the universals (inside the car, bottom of the column) that Simon referred to. I've replaced mine to cure just the issue you've mentioned.

Stuey

The knuckle joint under the dash can be a source of slop...major slop. Don't pull the rack out until you have checked it. I made the mistake of undertaking major work( ie: major work for me - new ball joints and a steering rack anti rattle kit) on the front end only to find that the bushes in that knuckle joint were the problem. It is a very cheap and easy fix if that is the problem - 20 minutes and the car was no longer all over the road...funnny that.

Spot on Simon

Last edited by BogMaster; 25th May 2004 at 07:17 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Thanks people, next time I see the car I'll dive under the dash and check out those knuckle joints!

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed B
    Thanks people, next time I see the car I'll dive under the dash and check out those knuckle joints!

Ed.
    Take the advice above!!! Don't TOUCH the rack until you are sure it isn't one of:

1. That universal joint under the dash (likely)

2. The flector (possible)

3. Tie rod bushes (possible).

Good luck

JohnW

Thread Information